Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: When depressed becomes normal  (Read 1761 times)

Sickntired

When depressed becomes normal
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:05:06 AM »

The female doctor I go to has had 3 strikes.
1, not realising Progesterone in 2nd part of pill cycle was causing torso rash. I deduced it from discussions on here. I was right.
2 after continual problem of tiredness and no muscle energy I was very upset I was struggling to complete my miles for marathon training ,  I was getting less and less miles before no strength .  Her answer,  "I'd be happy just doing 6 miles , why don't you just stick to that." (  any runners will know how incredulous I was at that answer.)  I was polite and thanked her for her help but was inside furious that I was to give up yet another part of my life.  It motivated me more but I'm still struggling.
3.  On discussion about symptoms , confusion , varying brain problems, fatigue, no muscle strength , stomach problems  and loads more she said "it can't be all blamed on menopause" even though she and other doctors at surgery mention and recommend this website where I found all these symptoms listed !!!!  (There was nothing after that comment, as if it didn't dawn on her that if that was the case then what was the reason for the symptoms ?)
I try not to discuss menopause out loud out with home .  Bosses have been fantastic but it's limited to trying to be empathetic by mentioning thier wives have hot flushes but it's the only thing I don't get.  I dont broach the subject other than admitting that was the cuse of my increasing stupidity , as embarassing for me and them.  They kindly now don't give me responsible jobs and read out stuff to me as I know subconsciously they can't trust me to do a job right.  It's not thier fault .  I Now feel like a failure and an idiot. My confidence is lost
 Now I get fed up with the subject as it and vaginal dryness (mortifying advert with Jenny Eclair) are apparently the only menopause symptoms .  If this site didn't exist I don't know what I would have done.  There is no  other place where others will immediately recognise that I'm n a black place because of my hormones or lack of.
I'm on hrt and I don't want antidepressants any more as they just make me feel like I don't care about the fact that I don't care.  The gps answer to everything.
Past few days is a little cycle of mood highs and  big lows .  It's either inward as in failure, stupid , what's the point,  stuck myself in place and life can't escape from, no future just getting old ,infirm ,death,  or it's outward , with these feelings but irritability and can't be bothered with anything .  I try to keep a lid on it as I see myself being like this , it feels right and wrong at the same time, you know at some level it's you that's the problem but it's way out of control . I just don't speak. It's better , then I just don't want to. I do nothing.  My husband's faults become more prevalent , I say nothing or try to , somewhere I still love him but I'm on a boat in the middle of a lake with no oars and he's on the shore looking at me with a puzzled expression  . Sometimes I want to get back to shore , sometimes I don't care that I'm adrift. 
My apologies for this but it's the only place to say what's in my head , all encompassing and anyone would fully comprehend what I mean.   

AnnieR66

Re: When depressed becomes normal
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 01:58:17 PM »

Hi Sickntired,
I fully understand everything you are saying, I could have written that myself.
I  know anything I say won't make any difference, but you are certainly not on your own with the way you are feeling.
This meno nonsense has ruled my life for the last 3 years, with symptoms starting 7 years ago.
Have you tried any different hrt? Patches or gel maybe.
We can only hope that it does get better but I can't find the answer to that one!
Wishing you well
Annie x :foryou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »

:welcomemm: :hug:  better now? It helps to vent and I love your analogy of the man on the shore looking puzzled.

Browse round.  Make notes.

Depression can be eased by medication regardless of causation.  Depression is never normal!  There is organic and clinical and I have both, without medication I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary helpful.

Charlie62

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »

Hi sickntiired, I feel the same as you. Hard to talk about but also hard to keep to yourself. i like the analogy of you in a boat, thats just how i feel. I am on hrt patches, my doctor has prescribed ADs twice but I haven't taken them. I have just signed up to my local council for talking therapies hoping that may help me to understand what's going on in my head as I don't have many physical symptoms. Good luck on your journey of finding a solution that meets your needs ☺

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »

Hi Sickntired

:welcomemm:

So sorry to hear you are feeling like this.

Just wondered how old you are and what your periods were doing (in terms of frequency, length flow etc) before you started HRT, and what type of HRT you are on and for how long ( sorry for lots of questions).

Have you had full blood tests re tiredness etc - because it's important to rule out other causes before turnign to menopause and HRT ( as needing adjustment). Is your diet good? Maybe thyroid problems if you are fatigued. Weight gain? Could be low testosterone re the muscle weakness but also thryoid function affects this too. if your doc says it can't all be blamed on the menopause then she should also be carrying out these tests.

It will get better but as AnnieR66 says your regime might need some tweaking.

Hurdity x

Emerald2017

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »

I can absolutely relate! I am CrossFit athlete and suicidal 2 years ago when diagnosed with early Meno! Just you need to find a hrt that suits you! I feel absolutely normal now, 2 years on hrt and have energy to continue my training and my life in general.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »

That's good to hear Emerald  :)

Emerald2017

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 05:06:16 PM »

Thank you CLKD!!! 💐