Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Capal Tunnel, anyone?  (Read 2050 times)

Shadyglade

Capal Tunnel, anyone?
« on: February 24, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »

I think I may have Capal Tunnel Syndrome, in my left hand. Well that's what Doctor Google is telling me anyway. 

Does anyone else have it and can give me any advise on relieving symptoms.  Not too bad at the moment, mainly annoying at times.

:thankyou:  in advance.

Cazikins

Re: Capal Tunnel, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »

Hi Shadyglade.
Is it in the middle/4th & 5th fingers? (ie not thumb & index) if not then it isn't carpel tunnel.

You can buy carpel tunnel splints from Amazon which help - or your G.P. may be able to offer you a steroid injection which should relieve symptoms for a while, but is likely to have to be repeated from time to time.

I had what was thought to be C.T. but after 18 months was finally diagnosed as a trapped nerve in my ulna. Due to leaning on my elbows a lot from work (telephone) & repetitive bending etc of the elbow (folding, stuffing envelopes etc). I was off work for a long time |& it was only after changing jobs that I got back to normal.

Go to your G.P. to get it confirmed & ask about the injections.

Good Luck at let us know how you get on.

Cazi x

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 12:24:34 PM »

Defiantly middle fingers around to thumb. I sometimes get a lot of pain in the thumb joint too. Will eventually go to Doctor to get it confirmed but am hoping it may settle on its own. Apparently sometimes it does.

Will let you know.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 04:11:39 PM »

Carpal Tunnel is characteristic.  Do you have to put your arm out of bed at night?  It can be CT depending on where the nerve root is compressed: elbow or wrist - which is present in different fingers but I can't remember which side is affect bu which compression  ::).

Splints at night may help.  Pregnant ladies suffer until the baby is born.

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 09:30:02 PM »

Ah ha. I do take multi Vitamin, when I can remember. I will have to check the dosage to see if I need to top up the B6.

Thanks.

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:44:18 PM »

That's good. I am not one for medical intervention, if it can be avoided, especially surgery. I have heard it has mixed results.

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 10:30:05 AM »

:great: :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

Did U need to hang the arm over the edge of the bed last night?

Shadyglade

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »

Strangely no.  That's the only thing that does not fit with the symptoms.  It could be that the problems originates in the elbow or shoulder and not the wrist.  It comes and goes.  Some days I hardly notice it and others it's annoying.

At the moment I am going to monitor and give the B6 a try.  It's not so bad that I am overly worried although I do try and nip things in the bud, before they become a problem.  I have only been really aware of it for about 4 weeks so won't bother the Doc unless it becomes really bothersome or persistent. I do like to give my body the chance to heal itself.

Annika

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 08:34:46 PM »

Are you getting this in the hand that you use a mouse on the PC?  stiffness and pain at the base of the thumb spreading into other fingers? I had trigger finger a few months back it had last a good six months but eventually it got to the stage where it was so painful I had to find a doctor to treat it. My thumb would not straighten properly with catching,like a jerky movement which went to my ring finger too. He gave me steroid shots in my hand and it all went away thank goodness. A hand brace at night works pretty good so it rests without moving but it can be annoying wearing it. My son kindly bought me an egronomic mouse and a raised mouse pad that lets you rest your wrist area. Hope you can get it all sorted soon.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:36:33 PM by Annika »