Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel side effects  (Read 6294 times)

catlover68

Oestrogel side effects
« on: February 26, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »

Hi all

I have posted previously but am a new member.  I am 51 and have been in peri for around 2 years. I have suffered every symptom going...main ones are anxiety insomnia really bad tiredness,migraine and low moods and feeling like I'm losing my mind! I had a mirena coil fitted in October last year so that's my progesterone sorted. No real issues with that thankfully. I have tried oestrogen patches which I didn't get on with and was on elleste solo 1mg tablets for 6 weeks which gave me headaches and dizziness.

I have recently started on oestrogel 1 pump in morning and 1 pump in the evening. I'm again experiencing headaches taking this and dizziness which I can sort of deal with but I'm wondering if anyone else has suffered with this or can tell me if this will subside with time. I've got to be honest and say hrt has helped with the anxiety and insomnia but I just wish I didn't get this headache just after applying the gel. I also still feel so tired.

I want to stay on this regime as reading on here seems to be the best way. I wasn't really happy taking tablets and know that the gel is the preferred method.

Another thing is I cannot tolerate alcohol in any way shape or form grrr!! Another pleasure taken away with this damn menopause!

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oestrogel side effects
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »

Yep,  Alcohol tolerance lessens apparently  ::)

Put the product name into the search box and see if any threads pop up ?  :-\. Make notes  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:47:25 PM »

Hi catlover68

Maybe the dose is too high for you to start with? If you are one of those who absorb gel very well - then this could be the cause of your headaches if you are still peri-menopausal and your periods were still pretty frequent before you had the Mirena fitted?

Why not start with just one pump ( or reduce to this) for a few weeks and see how you feel re your other symptoms? Then if your headaches subside then gradually increase to two pumps - or try 1 and a half pumps - I know of women who manage to squirt out a half pump...Also side effects do sometimes take a while to settle.

Hope you get it sorted and stabilised soon :)

Hurdity x

catlover68

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 07:21:57 AM »

Thank you CLKD and Hurdity for replying. I am now just having half a pump in the morning and evening and this seems to be working a treat at the moment. Obviously as I have the coil I have no idea where I am period wise. I think I am still peri as sometimes get a very light brownish bleed (sorry if tmi) and this can go on for a few days. I'm hoping the coil is doing it's job lol as I certainly don't want any build up of lining going on!

It's just the emotional rollercoaster this menopause is putting me through,never did I think it would be like this! Luckily my partner is understanding and I made him read the guide on here for husbands/partners and he was shocked as to what us ladies have to go through🙄 as I've mentioned previously it's the frustration of not being able to tolerate alcohol anymore as even though wasn't a big drinker I used to enjoy a social couple of Prosecco or rose at the weekend. Anyway thanks again for listening and for your advice😀

catlover68

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »

Sorry I'm back again!

I'm at the end of my tether with this damn menopause. I've been doing the gel now for nearly 3 weeks and still suffering with awful migraines and other symptoms creeping back again. I'm doing 1 pump in morning and 1 pump in evening. Sometimes not full pumps and that seemed to be working but last 4 days I've had migraine from hell and hot flushes at night. Also feeling very low and anxiety. The doctor did prescribe me propanalol for anxiety and migraine but I'm so nervous about taking any other meds or antidepressants as the side effects would be too much.

Anyone else taken this medication and had positive results?

Thanks

catlover68

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:30:14 PM »

Thank you Countrygirl for replying. I also refuse to take antidepressants as the side effects would send me over the edge especially with this anxiety! I may think about trying the propanalol if I get really desperate and I'm feeling that now. It's good to hear that the side effects aren't too bad though knowing my luck I'll suffer every symptom lol. Thanks for your advice😀

Birdy I did have the coil in previously for 5 years then had 18 months break before having another one put in last October. I remember suffering occasionally with a migraine but nowhere near as many and long lasting as now. I must admit I thought it was the oestrogel causing headaches,didn't think it was mirena. I don't get any other symptoms or trouble with the coil so am reluctant to have it out. The thought of taking progesterone any other way isn't appealing as I was so intolerant when using hrt patches.

I'm just so fed up with all of this,trying to get the hrt regime correct and dealing with crappy symptoms is driving me nuts! I'm so glad I've found this forum as everyone is so helpful and knows exactly what I'm going through.

Thanks x

catlover68

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 02:06:46 PM »

Hi again

I'm still suffering with constant migraine and dizziness after applying oestrogel. Its sometimes like a pounding in my head but without the pain but sometimes with pain. It's just relentless and I'm feeling really crap. When will this menopause end? I feel like I want to stop oestrogel but I know I will feel a lot worse if I do so I'm really stuck as in what to do.

I'm booked in to see the doctor next week but they aren't very knowledgeable when it comes to menopause and I can't see what they can offer me.

I'm trying to stay on oestrogel for the 3 months to see if it settles down as I'm now going into my 4th week.

Any other advice would be appreciated or anyone experiencing the same as me?

Thanks

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 07:09:01 PM »

Sorry to hear about this catlover - it does sound like the gel is not suiting you. Did you suffer from flushes or sweats before startung any form of HRT ie the tablets and patches? If you can't take any of these without getting headache or migraine then clearly at this ttime adding oestrogen doesn't appear to be right for you - at least not with the Mirena coil. What symptoms have suggested you have been peri-menopausal?

I really don't know what to suggest except perhaps to have the Mirena removed and see what your natural cycle is doing to get some idea of periods and other symptoms.

I agree I would not want to take the propanolol - it is counterproductive to take additional medication while you are still sorting out your HRT. Also these tablets lower blood pressure so will probably muddy the waters symptoms-wise.

Sorry I can't help further..

Hurdity x

catlover68

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 08:05:35 PM »

Thank you Hurdity for your advice.

Prior to having coil fitted and starting hrt I was feeling awful,hot flushes,bad anxiety,headaches and generally feeling crap. I had also not had a period for 8 months so just assumed I was in peri. The hrt has helped with some symptoms ie insomnia and hot flushes but I shouldn't be getting these migraines and dizziness after applying it. I'm gutted as really thought I had found the hrt to help my symptoms.

I have tried the tablet and patches but had the same side effects.
Thing is if I stop the hrt obviously the flushes etc will come back with a vengeance and I cannot cope with this. It's so debilitating having to cope with this and it's starting to affect my job now.

Not sure which way to turn now. Anyway thanks again Hurdity for replying😀