Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello and help re Evorel Conti  (Read 3650 times)

Catcc

Hello and help re Evorel Conti
« on: February 25, 2019, 02:32:23 PM »

Hi.

Thanks for adding me to the group.  I was hoping someone could answer a quick question. 

I'm 53 (postmenopause now).  I initially (for 2 years) managed my flushes and sweats quite well with supplements etc, but recently flushes came back (and I have disturbed sleep etc) and doctor prescribed Evorel Conti (50).  I was wary, as it has same type of progestogen as the mini-pill that I was on 20 years ago and I didn't get on well with it at all.  Anyway 2 days ago I stuck a patch on ... and I've been feeling dreadful ever since.  No sleep at all the last 2 nights.  Just couldn't sleep at all and also my heart is racing and I feel all jittery, plus I've been so hot at night.  I feel much worse than I did with the hot flushes.  I know this might sound silly, but can I just take the patch off? 

I know it's normal to get some symptoms initially, but I expected a bit of bleeding and maybe swollen tummy etc.  I didn't expect to feel so bad.

I am wondering if I should ask for Utrogestan and a patch instead?

I have an appointment at my GP in 10 days time, but I can't feel this way until then.  I just want to take this patch off.

Thanks for listening and any advice. 

DC

vickypk

Re: Hello and help re Evorel Conti
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:12:33 PM »

Hi DLC.
I have been using Evorel conti for over 2 years. When I first started the patch I had terrible side effects. I cut the patch and built up slowly. I'm a lot better now and I'm able to get on with my life.
It hasn't been easy with this menopause thing, like many other ladies. I tried oestrogel, utrogestan, and testim gel at one time. I felt really bad on that regime, although it is a good HRT regime to be on. What works for some doesn't work for everyone.
Hope you feel better soon
Vicky xx

Catcc

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »

Hi Vicky

Thanks so much for replying.  I ended up taking the patch off earlier this evening.  Couldn't stand the jittery feeling it gave me and the thought of another sleepless night.  I hope there's no harm done in taking it off?   I'm a wee bit worried.  I'll call my doctor tomorrow. 

You're right when you say it isn't easy!!!  :-)

Glad you've found what suits you.

Thanks again x

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:00:07 PM by Catcc »

vickypk

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 09:01:49 PM »

Hi DLC
Hope you get on okay tomorrow. I had that jittery feeling at first with the patches, I kept taking the patches off like you, took months of trying to keep going with it. I already did the oestrogel HRT regime before the patches. About 3 years ago I couldn't even leave the house with anxiety. I can do most things now and socialize alot with friends and run every day. Although my male GP is talking about me stopping the patches as he doesn't agree with HRT. Good luck. Let me know how you get on.
Xx

Catcc

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »

Hi Vicky

Thanks.  It's really helpful to hear how you've managed things.  My symptoms are mostly physical - hot flushes, disturbed sleep, needing toilet more than before.   

The lack of sleep was making me feel awful and I couldn't get on with my everyday life.  Unbelievably my sleep got so much worse over the weekend when I had the patch on.  I fell on Sunday (blaming it on lack of sleep and spaced out feeling from the patch).  Haven't phoned surgery yet - still too tired :-) 

I hope you manage to get on ok re your GP.  Thanks again!

xx

Fionalowri

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »

Hi DLC,

I wonder if your reaction to the patch could be due to the sudden introduction of hormones, especially if you have been post menopausal for a few years. Perhaps you could start with just half a patch, or even a quarter and build up slowly over a few weeks. If you do react badly to the progesterone element then obviously find out about changing to a different HRT.  The jittery feeling and lack of sleep sounds like a surge in estrogen, if you add a little at a time it may give your body a chance to get used to it.  I found that Evorel Conti helped with sleep, aches and pains and flushes quite quickly. I was 54 when I started using it and still in peri menopause, so my own hormones were still very active and it wasn't such a shock to the system when adding some more.

Anyhow if you try a smaller dose and still get those jittery feelings straight away then just remove the patch and have another word with your doctor.

Hope you find something that helps,

Fionalowri

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »

I don't think it should be a problem going cold turkey, I took mine off when I came out in a rash. Might be worth asking for a couple of months of Everel Sequi, 2 weeks of oestrogen only, then 2 weeks conti (combined) patches. If you get symptoms only on the conti patch you'll know it's the prog causing it and can for a different one eg utrogestan. You'll get a bleed with sequi. If it turns out to be the oestrogen then the advice to build up gradually is good.

Catcc

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »

Hi Sheila and Fiona

Thanks so much for your replies.  Very helpful.  Everything you say makes complete sense.   A sudden dose of hormones was probably a shock to the system.  That's partly why I worried about suddenly taking it off too.  My body is probably wondering what's going on.

I felt terrible yesterday, but much better today.  I spoke to my doctor on the phone and she said no problem re taking patch off.  I've got an appointment with her next week so will discuss options then.

I'm wondering whether I should just ask about local estrogen (vagifem or something) to help with the bladder issues.  I'll speak to her about this and any other options.

Thanks again!!!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:01:50 PM by Catcc »

vickypk

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 08:55:40 PM »

Hi Denise
I had all physical problems as well, night sweats, headaches, bladder problems, no energy, very bad VA. I use vagifem as well. Using a quarter of patch to build up slowly, as I did may help. See what your GP says maybe at your appointment. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Vicky x

Catcc

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »

Thanks Vicky. The doctor had given me the 50mcg strength.  I believe there is also a 25mcg one.  Sounds like you had it really bad.  Glad you've found something that helps. Thanks again :-)

Catcc

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »

Hi Hasty and Birdy

Thanks.  Yes, I think you're right about just one dose of Evorel Conti (I think it was the estrogen only patch I saw which was different doses).  I've been doing a lot more reading on HRT and think that if I'm going to try again I would prefer the Utrogestan and a patch or gel. 

Birdy, wow, I don't know how you stuck it out for 3 months!!  That's exactly how I felt - 3 days was enough for me. 

My friend was on Everol Conti and loved it - she said she had the best sleep ever whilst taking it.  Amazing how different we all are!