Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Synthetic HRT  (Read 955 times)

sjpercy3

Synthetic HRT
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:39:11 AM »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what synthetic Estrogen-only HRT's are available in the UK? I've tried Bioidentical ones and Tibilone, but they aren't helping. When looking online and asking my GP, Premique keeps coming up. Due to animal welfare reasons, I'm not willing to try this. Is there anything else?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:43:00 AM by sjpercy3 »

Hurdity

Re: Synthetic HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:47:55 AM »

Hi sjpiercy

As far as I know the only properly synthetic ones are those used in the combined contraceptive pills - although I've just looked it up and Ethinylestradiol is available as a separate tablet. It isn't normally used for hRT though as there are risks associated with these stronger ones - though if you are very young it might be possble. All the HRT oestrogens are listed here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

What have you tried (beside Tibolone) and what are your symptoms/age/menopausal status? Do you still have your womb? Most women if they have recurring symptoms will increase the oestrogen dose - which is possible with patches or gel, but if you still have a womb this will mean a higher progestogen dose too.

Hurdity x

sjpercy3

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've tried the BCP and it worked much better than HRT, but it caused alopecia and awful mood swings. I am 31 and to be honest I'm not bothered at all about risks, I just want some form of life back...
I have tried patches, ellest solo and the gel, with the addition of Utrogestan. I am perimenopause I believe, so I'm struggling with the constant fluctuations. I have very extreme symptoms which I assume is because I'm young. The pill worked well to stop that. I have decided that unless I find another HRT that works better, I'm going to have to just go back to the pill and buy a wig. Do you know the brand name for the Ethinylestradiol tablet you found? I like the effects of the synthetic hormones in the pill, but don't want to completely shut down my ovaries (with the pill) while they are still functioning.

xx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »

I don't think it has a brand name as it is a generic - you can view the patient leaflet here:
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.121.pdf

There are newer BCP's these days which are more "friendly" and have third (or is it fourth?) generation progestogens in them which may not have the same side effects - I know very little about CCP types but I know there are members on here who are knowledgeable.....maybe they will see this thread?

Hurdity x

sjpercy3

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,

Just out of interest, I called a couple of pharmacies to see if it's available and was told its 200 pounds for 21 tablets!!  :o
Let's see what my GP says...
xx