Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: What to do, where to go  (Read 1775 times)

Coogee

What to do, where to go
« on: February 14, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »

Hi from a newbie. Thank you for being here.

I am wondering if my symptoms may be menopause related. I asked my GP and he literally just shrugged his shoulders.

For nearly 6 months I have been having a lot of upper abdomen pain and restricted breathing. This started at the same time my bleeding started and hasn't stopped since (I do have fibroids). Pain is upper left, right and middle. It changes in severity but constant. I had a CT scan (sadly I had to go private as I felt so bad and was more or less told that I should learn to live with this), which thankfully showed nothing bad in abdomen or pelvic areas. Phew! I can't afford to go private again. Blood tests were fine too. Usual stomach meds made no difference. I also get upper bloating sometimes.

I was fit,  healthy and happy. Now struggling and feel I was told to just go away and live with it..easier said than done with constant pain, restricted breathing and 2 young, special needs children!

I am wondering if this could be hormone related? I am definitely in perimenopause stage, 50, but apart from this constant bleed (I will get help for that), have been lucky so far with symptoms apart from the odd day when befuddling descends.

Any suggestions of what to do next or where to go would be very welcome. Thank you.

AgathaC

Re: What to do, where to go
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »

Hello Cooper. My perimenopause started with a lot digestive issues. How is your digestion? I was diagnosed with GERD, symptoms of which can include the kind of things you are talking about. I was helped a great deal by Dr Koufmann's diet Bd avoiding a number of foods.
You've actually touched on lots of issues in your post - constant bleeding, fibroids, brain fog, stomach pains. Give as much info as you can and the ladies who are very experienced (more than me) will make more suggestions. I'm glad the tests were all good. Welcome, by the way. I've been here about 6 months and it's helped me no end xxx

Coogee

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:20:09 PM »

Thank you. That's really helpful. I'll look up the diet. GERD was mentioned but all the meds, diet change, bed raising etc didn't help and I don't get heartburn.

The other symptoms I am managing better.

Good to be here 😀

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »

Hi coogee,you say you have bloating? I have suffered for years with gut issues,scans,x rays,colonoscopy,you name it,I've had it done,all that these tests came back with was diverticulitis,quite common,so I got an intolerance test done(privately)& it came back that I was allergic to wheat and highly intolerant to nuts, I couldn't believe it,so now I'm a wheat free,nut free vegetarian 😆I'm running out of food,anyway since I've cut out these things,the bloating has gone!!my dr is putting me to immunology,when'theres a years waiting list 😏 just wondered if it was worth your while trying a gluten free diet

Coogee

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »

Thanks. I am trying a fodmap diet and low fibre. This is virtually gluton and lactose free. Pain and bloating has changed but still there. I have wondered about intolerance and worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion and hope your appointment isn't too far in the future. Got to say, I am feeling let down and "just another middle aged woman so won't bother with it" and I am an optimist! Told GP I can't run or sing anymore (love life? What's that?) You'd think they want to encourage feeling better and resuming healthy activities! :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »

When I was menstruating regularly I remember being unable to drawer a breath. This was mid-month prior to a bleed.  Hormonal then? 

Do you keep a mood/symptom/food diary?

Coogee

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »

Hi CLKD. Thanks for that. Yes, I am now keeping a diary of pain, breathing, other symptoms, diet etc. GP even looked at it...and still shrugged!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 05:18:05 PM »

They do. I think that they learned shrugging in College  ;D

Browse round.  Make notes.  Keep that diary.  Maybe see a Practice Nurse, also check if there is a GP in the Practice with an interest in female health, they will have appropriate letters after their name ;-).

Coogee

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 10:00:44 PM »

Thanks. Frustrated, tired, in pain and hormonal. What a combination!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 11:17:50 PM »

I was extremely tired it was due to very low VitD levels.  Capsules solved it!

Coogee

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »

Hi CLKD

It looks like you took the initiative. I am lost how to do this...tried and failed to get any further forward. How did you find out your VitD level was low please and anything else? Thanks.