Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan causing constipation?  (Read 5600 times)

kristina12

Utrogestan causing constipation?
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:12:44 AM »

Morning ladies

I've recently finished my first course of utrogestan (taken orally) after having awful side effects with all other progesterones. I felt really good while I was on it, I slept well and didn't experience the awful pre-menstrual symptoms at all. I didn't get a bleed after taking it but I did become increasingly constipated! I've never had this with synthetic progesterones so wondered whether it was something that is common with this one?
I was also taking an antibiotic at the time for a sinus infection so wasn't sure whether it might have been linked to that.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan causing constipation?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »

Morning!  Is it constipation or slow transit?  How were your bowels during your menstruating years?  I found I couldn't go as easily in the run up to periods until 10 mins. B4 a bleed began  ::) so mine was certainly hormonally linked.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:59:22 PM »

The progesterone most likely. It slows down digestion. Focus on extra water and the right foods to help while you are taking it.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:46:27 PM »

Progestogen relaxes smooth muscles - ie uterus and...….digestive system  >:(

A good breakfast of fibre stuff and fruit, and it is the time to have your coffee then go to the loo at the same time every day.

Plenty fluids, soluble fibre (beans, oats, fruit and veg) are supposed to help.

I use Movicol if bunged (and regularly too in anticipation of the effect as have a permanent problem).  Daily Kiwi fruit has a good effect if you are not allergic to the ruddy things - it seems to add the right amount of laxative effect without too much.

kristina12

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 02:17:19 PM »

Thanks everyone, I don't recall being especially prone to constipation before my periods but I did suffer quite badly during the start of my first pregnancy (30 years ago!)
I do eat lots of fibre anyway as well as drinking lots of water. This seemed to come on really quickly until I was really struggling to go to the loo.
I'm wondering whether using it vaginally next time might help, as it wouldn't have to go through my digestive system.
Other than this I had no side effects whatsoever. xx

kristina12

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »

Thanks stellajane
I will give that a try then. Yes I know what you mean about the call of nature signalling the start of a period and the same when I went into labour.
Do you use the same dose when used vaginally?
Thank you x

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »

The sudden effect of the progesterone sounds far too familiar to me  :(  yet it still catches me out most months  >:(  ::)

I have femoston 2/10 tablets and have wondered whether the vaginal route would be better.  I was initially offered Mirena but that would have been a huge gamble as you have to get someone to take it out if it doesn't work out, and I expect they would just say "eat more fibre" as is always the answer  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Forgot to say that the slow transit means slow passage through the colon, which is where the fluid is taken back into the body, thus drying up one's number 2's.  This is what makes them so hard to pass - too hard and dry and not enough mucus.  Drinking plenty helps but it is not the whole answer so that is why I pre-empt the problem using movicol, which holds onto the moisture.  Kiwis do the same very effectively if you prefer natural methods.  It is always better to do this before the problem happens, if you see what I mean.

kristina12

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »

I took femoston and it caused me to feel nauseous but I didn't have any other digestive problems just awful pmt symptoms on the progestogen part. I am so much better on utrogestan and patches. Ah I see what you mean about slow transit, yes that seems to have been the problem! I will definitely give that a try then x

Jasmine_2015

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »

I haven't experienced that yet with Utrogestan but in general I find kiwi fruit really helpful for constipation too!