Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Really basic baby questions  (Read 3591 times)

Katymac

Really basic baby questions
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:55:01 PM »

I've got myself thoroughly confused

Peri is when you start having symptoms
Menopause is when you stop having periods? Any more than that?
Post menopause is when you've stopped having periods for at least a year - or is it more complex?

And as I had my ovaries out do I have to wait a year until I am post menopausal? Or do I get a free pass? Or is it longer?

The symptoms can last for life? Right?

I am coming back as a cat I think or a dormouse - none of this crap

Tc

Re: Really basic baby questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:03:48 PM »

Katymac. I'm in the same position. When we had our ovaries out we immediately became post meno.in medical terms we are post meno.
 But I think we still may differ from ladies who are "intact". and Post meno *( no period for 12 months)  as post meno ovaries still have some function  in some cases still releasing eastrogen but at a very low level and particularly in ovarian androgen production which lessens with age not meno. (Testosterone from the ovaries can convert to eastrogen post meno) whereas we have zero ovarian function.
It seems  your  question is "how long will symptoms continue.". I'd like to know that too.
I have read that surmeno symptoms are  more severe and they are certainly more sudden.

So like you, im wondering if there will be a fallng off of symptoms with time

It would be interesting to hear from any ladies who are further down the past surgical meno line than us wouldn't it?

Katymac

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:09:01 PM »

I think they have put me on the wrong HRT I think i should be on conti not sequi

If I'm reading that stuff up there about meds right

I am a bit peeved that I had to make decision about me when I felt like crap; now I am feeling more human I find out what I was told may not have been right

Yes knowing how long, and what HRT should work would help & testosterone I'm sure I need some of that things have definitely changed down there

So when the GP asked me when my last period was & I said pre-op that should have rung alarm bells for me I guess

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:09:57 PM »

Hi Katymac.
Yes you're right....peri is when you start having missed periods, and symptoms,
You are considered post meno when you haven't had a period for a full 12 months.
So, if you go 11 months, then have a period, then you have to start all over again. Until you get a full 12 months in......
And yes, some ladies have symptoms all their lives, some don't, so what categorie we will fall into is anyone's guess, everyone is different.
As for your overies being took out , then I would guess your post meno, because with no overies you can't produce eggs, so no periods....
I'm coming back as a man, or an elephant, I love eleee's.......lol

Tc's Explication is much better than mine.......xxx

Katymac

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:18:26 PM »

You are both lovely, thanks everyone here has been despite my incoherence at times

& I kept asking about HRT pre surgery and they kept fobbing me off so I thought I didn't need it

I bloody did but of course by then I was completely doo-lally and didn't know which way was up

Tc

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:50 PM »

Yes jillydoll once ovaries are removed you are medically post meno whether you still have uterus or not.
Katy. When doctors ask about your meno status tell them you are post meno due to ovary removal. Your last natural period is now irrelevant.
I too was put on sequi patches straight after.(don't know why either)
I don't feel I'm as well informed about hrt as many other ladies on here (I've been just as confused myself) so I will leave it to others to hopefully answer your question about sequi or conti.

Xx

Tc

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 11:28:04 PM »

The self same thing happened to me 're surgery and hrt. They initially sent me away with nothing and waited for me to crash.
I empathise so much katyxxx

Katymac

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 11:47:54 PM »

You'll go home on the day with HRT they said

OK you aren't going home today so we'll sort it out tomorrow

It's OK you are still staying here we will send you home with HRT tomorrow

The doctor hasn't written it up so she will ring you tomorrow

When I rang at 3pm they said 'oh your GP will sort it'

The GP said "well do you really want it" so I said no

I said I was doo-lally!

Tc

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »

Of course you were. I was the same. I was supposed to go home same day but got kept in and you don't know which way is up!!
I went back to consultant 2 weeks later and she was just about to wave me out of the door when I mentioned hrt. It took me another 2 weeks to get the scrip and by then I'd crashed.
So sorry to hear you went through the same thing. X

Katymac

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:03:08 AM »

It's kind of concerning we both had the same experience really

Tc

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 12:09:55 AM »

Yes. And as I remember we had the same fight to get the topical eastrogen/vagifem.
My gynae actually seemed surprised when she examined me and I had atrophy and my gp at the time was worse than useless.
My mum was sent away with no hrt after a total hysterectomy 30 years ago!! You would've thought things might have changed!!

Tc

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »

I meant 40 years ago!!
She was 40 at the time and those first early years without eastrogen have had a long term impact on her health. It's one of the reasons I'm determined to try persevere with the hrt for at least a few years.
Hope you manage to get some sleep Katy.x

Katymac

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 08:39:09 AM »

goodness, I wasn't doing well last night!

I did sleep reasonably, Thank you!

Now, I need to get my head around this stuff - let me reread the medication stuff

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »

....... and breath.

That's how it ought to be but bodies don't read the Manual  :kick: and the medical profession is, in the main, WAY behind bothering to understand exactly how menopause, regardless of causation, impacts.

......... and breath  :D

Tc

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 10:26:20 AM »

With my mum i think its because her meno was early so she had many more years to go before natural meno age and wasnt protected against osteo.
I have read that hrt started before 60 has a protective effect on the bones. So that's why I said I'm keen to try it.
Didn't mean to alarm you
.there are ladies on here who have taken a long time to get the hrt right but many have so there is hope for us.
I do believe the early days with surgical meno might make it a bit more of an uphill battle for us than if we were going through a natural process. It's so hard to be patient when you feel like crap tho.
There is an understanding that women in their 40s and younger undergoing ovary removal need higher initial doses of eastrogen to counteract the crash.
But at 53 I wast in meno so was realy in the same position. They go by age and not menopausal status when offering hrt after surgery which I think is wrong..
Pages: [1] 2