Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Really basic baby questions  (Read 3594 times)

Katymac

Re: Really basic baby questions
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »

The GP thinks that because I haven't had a year without periods I have to be on sequi

That isn't right is it?

Because I have no ovaries none of my hormones are causing periods so I should be on continuous?

Ladybt28

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 05:01:06 PM »

Hi Katymac - Oh dear... Gp's an idiot! (Sorry - must try and be nicer  :-X) - let's be kind shall we and say "ill-informed".  >:( You though are much better at this stuff than the GP  ;) - yes you are right.
The date of your last period is irrelevant.  You are definitely post meno, there is no question about it.  You have had your overies removed and therefore you have nothing left to produce any hormones at all to cause a period.

Tell the "idiot"  :-X- should you have to see them again! that you are conti not sequi. You are never going to have another normal period ever again regardless of the date of your last one!  Having said that some women even those who have had a surgically induced meno cannot always tolerate a continuous regime, but that will complicate matters for you so ignore it for the time being.  You need to try with a continuous regime in the first instance and start to feel better by getting your oestrogen levels up

Tc

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 05:38:42 PM »

Katy. He is wrong. When our ovaries are removed we literally wake up from the operation post meno.
We skipped the 12 months part it has happened overnight.

You will not have a natural period in the next 12 months it is impossible and if that is what the doc is waiting for then he realy doesn't seem to understand surgical meno.

But regarding the sequi patches I was initially given them too and I've just looked at the femseven sequi leaflet and it says suitable post menopause so going by that it would seem our doctors weren't necessarily wrong to prescribe it.

(I personally think for me it was just too lower dose to cope with the initial brutal hormone crash of surgical meno.) But.....

I am confused about  sequi vs continuous post meno especially as the femseven sequi leaflet says it is actually FOR post meno women.

Hope your day has gone o.k Katy xx

Tc

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »

Hi lady. Sorry I overlapped your post. We must've been typing at the same time.

What do you think about the femseven sequi leaflet saying it is for post meno women?

Hope you are well.

Ladybt28

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 05:50:36 PM »

I think the confusion for the two of you arises because you both still have a womb right?
That needs to be protected, so you need progesterone to ensure that the oestrogen they give you to replace your ovary oestrogen doesn't thicken the womb lining.  Women who have had their wombs removed don't have to use progesterone so there is no choice they get given oestrogen only.

Women who have wombs have to have both hormones but even post meno it is a choice really between a "bleed" or "non-bleed" regime.  The conti regime is supposed to be the non-bleed, the sequi regime includes a bleed.  The idea behind a conti is that the progesterone and the oestrogen are balanced totally so the lining doesn't thicken nor is there a bleed.  Sometimes it is quite hard to achieve and spotting occurs. The sequi means that there will definitely be a bleed.  Most GP's suggest that women who are post meno don't want to be bothered with a bleed so prescribe conti but if you are like me and cannot tolerate continuous progesterone which makes us feel ill, it just doesnt work for us.  In that case, we chose to have a sequential regime and have a bleed because it suits us better and we have to just put up with the bleed!

Bet that's as clear as mud huh!!!  :) 

Tc

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 06:01:12 PM »

Thanks lady.
Yes I still have uterus and I think Katy does too. (Correct me if I'm wrong katy).

You explained it well lady

I do find it strange though that both myself and Katy were  given sequi as opposed to conti as a  first line. I wonder what the reasoning  behind that was. I know for myself the issue of bleed no bleed was not even mentioned by the doc.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »

Clear as runny honey ;-)

Katymac

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »

OK - I have to go back for swollen ankles anyway (never had them before!) so I'll ask why sequi not conti and see what happens

Mind you I def don't feel as good on the patches with the progesterone in.....not sure if it'll get better as it's only my first month

Start Month 2 tomorrow

Ladybt28

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:54 PM »

Katymac - do you have to take any medication for high blood pressure?

Katymac

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »

No - my blood pressure is terrifically low - it always had been

If it approaches 'normal' I'm very very high

WHen I was in hospital they were really pleased it wasn't high - until I explained how low it should have been!
Pages: 1 [2]