Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: DRCOG - no wonder my GP knows nothing about menopause!  (Read 1230 times)

Orangefoot

DRCOG - no wonder my GP knows nothing about menopause!
« on: February 22, 2019, 04:53:17 PM »

The GP who has told me three times that I don't need HRT has these initials after her name. They stand for the Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. The desk staff told me she would be the best GP to see as she has an interest in 'women's issues'

This is the syllabus showing what students will have learned by the end of the course. No mention of menopause. 
https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/careers-training/drcog/prepare/syllabus/#m6

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: DRCOG - no wonder my GP knows nothing about menopause!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »

She obviously got stopped at peri then  :-\.

Maybe point her in the direction of MM?   Better still, send the Dean of the College a copy of "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" ?

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 05:17:18 PM »

Thanks Orangefoot, that's very interesting. Only one mention of endocrine problems, in module 6, and I daresay the menopause hardly comes into it, if at all. There are short, even one day, courses on menopause available for GPs. As the subject is receiving more publicity in the media now, and has even been debated in Parliament, we can but hope that uptake will improve (but somehow I doubt it  :-\).

JP x

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »

Thanks Orangefoot, that's very interesting. Only one mention of endocrine problems, in module 6, and I daresay the menopause hardly comes into it, if at all. There are short, even one day, courses on menopause available for GPs. As the subject is receiving more publicity in the media now, and has even been debated in Parliament, we can but hope that uptake will improve (but somehow I doubt it  :-\).

JP x
A GP who had taken a short course stood up and shouted at me when i argued that it was safe to use Estriol cream for longer than 3 months!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 08:57:15 PM »

Did U shout back - what are they trying to prove  :bang: