Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Screaming for E!!!  (Read 3436 times)

Tc

Screaming for E!!!
« on: February 02, 2019, 05:12:22 PM »

Hiya ladies. Im absolutely certain that I'm either not absorbing any E or the dose is way too small.

3 months on patch and my E was 100 even doc said it's like you have been taking nothing at all.

2 weeks on eastrogel 3 pumps and my symptoms are actually getting worse. I wasn't expecting to see any positive changes so soon and know it takes time to build up but I certainly didn't expect things to get worse. Hot flushes are back, VA is getting worse by the day and my skin is so dry and itchy and don't even start me on anxiety and insomnia..even new symptoms caused by lack of E are emerging.

I have said this on another thread but I think because I wasn't in meno before my operation I might have needed a higher dose to start with.

It seriously feels as though I have been 5 months without any E at all   i might as well have been taking nothing, it couldn't be any worse and, at least I wouldn't have had the side effects of the progesterone!!!

I've upped the gel to 4 pumps today but felt like jumping to 6 to see if it actually has an effect. This might sound over the top but I actually feel like My body is screaming for  eastrogen.

Has anyone else had this issue. Any experience advice would be so appreciated.

sjpercy3

Re: Screaming for E!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 08:14:45 PM »

Hi Tc,

What dose of the patch are you using? I had trouble absorbing the patches and gel so Chelsea and Westminster suggested the pellet.

Tc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 08:37:53 PM »

Hi sj.
I was on femseven sequi 50 now I'm on eastrogel and utrogestan.i have just been reading about the pellet today funilly enough.
How many pumps of the gel were you on?

sjpercy3

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »

I actually used both. I would put on a patch and add about 2 sachets of Sandrena gel to that. I was too scared to have the pellet so I tried 1mg Ellest solo tablet instead. This seemed to help most symptoms apart from VA.

Tc

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 09:25:27 PM »

It's tricky because if I'm not absorbing then it doesn't matter how many pumps I use I would've thought .
To me it would stand to reason that 50mg properly absorbed is better than 100mg not absorbed i might be wrong.
That's why I think if I up the dose to the maximum now  and am still getting these worsened symptoms I will know that its an absorption problem. And may have to try something else.

Conolly

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »

Hello Tc,

Physiological amounts of oestrogen are the best to improve symptoms and they vary amongst women. Increasing the dose doesn't necessarily improve symptoms. They may get worse, actually. https://www.nature.com/articles/1300708

I have a theory that women who went through surgical or chemical menopause don't respond the same way as women who went through natural menopause. Maybe estradiol receptors have been downregulated and no matter how much estradiol you are taking, your levels won't be high enough. If this theory is correct (even if it's not the whole picture) there's no absorption problem at all.

Conolly X

Tc

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 09:56:11 PM »

Oh god. How do the receptors get effected?
I also think hrt after surmeno or chemical meno is different especially if you were not in meno before the op/treatment but then...
I was reading the other day  that the only difference between surmeno and natural post meno levels are in the testosterone.
I hope and pray the receptors haven't switched off for good

Conolly

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 12:13:30 AM »

Hello Tc,

Have you heard of the critical period hypothesis, a 'window' of opportunity to replace oestrogen around perimenopause and early menopause, and if that window is lost, oestrogen doesn't have the same beneficial effects on bone and heart? Well, I think that this critical period works completely different for surgical and chemical menopause, the dowregulation of receptors could be 'accelerated' by the sudden drop of hormones. I have this theory that prior to oophorectomy the doctors should schedule the op in order to synch it with the patient's menstrual cycle, when both oestrogen and progesterone are low (around period), and immediately post op begin HRT, with oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone, trying to simulate the patient's levels pre op. After that the regimen should be adjusted depending on each patient's age, to simulate perimenopause and finally menopause when the lowest dose needed to control symptoms should be the rule.

This recent article suggests something like that could be happening https://www.spandidos-publications.com/10.3892/mmr.2018.8618'text=abstract

Conolly X

Tc

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 12:36:32 AM »

Conolly it makes perfect sense. Thank you.
I only started hrt 4 weeks after op and thats why I crashed. I realy shouldve woken up with a patch on as they do with younger wonen but they were reluctant until the pathology of my tumour and results of the wash cane back.

I hope the fact that it seems i haven't been getting E for the last 5 months hasn't done permanent damage 
It's such a worry.
Thanks for the link. You have addressed something I've been trying to find out for months.
I will read it tommorow when I can take it in better. Xxx

Ladybt28

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 01:40:33 AM »

Hey Tc,
Up the pumps to 4 (I can't manage on less than 4).  FYI I have been told on the forum that although the widely authorised max dose is 4, you can actually go up to 6 quite safely. There are ladies on the forum who use 6 pumps.  Again you do need to let it settle,  ;) ;) ;D ::)  and up them gently.
Your body has had a shock, it has been without E for a while at all.  It will take a while to build its level and you have not yet done a month!!(I wish you could see me smiling when I am posting this  ;D) It has taken me 7 MONTHS!! and I am not in surgical menopause, but I was obviously very low in oestrogen given the severity of my list of symptoms as you well know!! because you commented on my story:)

Try 4 pumps every day for the next two weeks and see if the flushes come under control because that is usually the first symptom to go.  XXX

Tc

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 02:07:52 AM »

Thanks lady. I see you smiling :)
I guess I'm worrying a bit about not getting any E in  almost 4 months  on the patches especially as the doc said it was as though id been on nothing.
 As you know im impatient but i think thats because i keep seeing it as another week going by without E . And t that might be doing damage to my body  just dont want things to deteriorate even more and I think my VA has.
. But when I calm down and think it through  My Hot flushes did stop on patches (Although it was the only thing)  so I must've been getting something just far too little.
I  will  iup the gel  dose gradually. I Promise.
Although today I did feel like just covering my whole body in it lol.
Incidentally I've been putting it on my thighs and rubbing in very  vigorously and today I had two big matching bruises on each leg!!!
Keep well lady xx

Ladybt28

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 02:28:11 AM »

bruises - oh for flips sake!! Tc ::) x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »

Oh god. How do the receptors get effected?
I also think hrt after surmeno or chemical meno is different especially if you were not in meno before the op/treatment but then...
I was reading the other day  that the only difference between surmeno and natural post meno levels are in the testosterone.
I hope and pray the receptors haven't switched off for good

Hi there Tc - where did you read that about oestrogen levels? In fact I was reading a paper which said quite the opposite! The post-menopausal ovary has been shown to continue to secrete androgens which are converted into oestrogen and testsoterone. There is also production of androgens from the adrenals and oestrogen from fat cells but the ovary does continue to be a source of oestrogen in the body.

Also when would one define menopause? According to the stages of reproductive ageing - the ovaries continue to be active in terms of follicular activity for up to 7 years post-menopause so this would be a direct source of oestrogen - even if nowhere near as much as when ovulating, of course.

Whatever the reason, then surgical menopause does put the body into sudden menopause which is worse when you have not yet reached natural menopause because of the sudden withdrawal of a major source of oestrogen and androgens.

It's a tough one trying to replace hormones at the right level!

Hurdity x

Tc

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »

I can't remember where I read it hurdity. There's a lot of mis information out there  as you know.
My gynae did say though that "you would've gone through meno naturally soon anyway and so it's the same but I felt I t might have taken years to transition but  No meno to post meno overnight. No time to adjust.its too much all at once.

I have found It hard to get accross thst its different  If your not meno when it's performed so thank you for your reply and to conolly for hers. I think  if your not in meno when it's done  you should probably start on a higher dose. Which can eventually be slowly lowered. It would be so much kinder to the body and it makes perfect sense.  Instead the opposite has been done and it's too much of an initial drop  resulting in a following uphill battle of increase. Anyway that's all too late for me now.

I so regret that i didnt go through natural meno supplementing what is decreasing if I needed to and I might or might not have chosen to  instead of having to replace a total loss which I feel.i now have to do .And now seems  I can never do anyway.

the ovaries continue to make some androgens but I dont know which ones because the only one that seems to be supplemented is T. Do you know what the others are and if they can be replaced

I would imagine that from whst you and others are  saying an oopherised woman taking hrt could get her levels up to the same as a natural post meno lady but might need higher doses to do it?

Or is it that the natural meno is getting at least some from ovaries and that is superior or works differently in the body.

Does it mean whatever I try to replace wont work the same or as well for me and that I can't replace everything a natural post meno has and so will be disadvantaged whatever I do.

And the receptors If they have  shut down then surely nothing is going to work for me.

I've already gone ifrom having not a single problem vaginally to 6 weeks later having VA bad enough for doc to diagnose it on examination. It feels so unfair that it got so bad without me even having a chance to try to prevent or treat it.

I realy feel this urgent unending need to replace what I have lost and that in no small part could be my body craving what is missing.chemically. and it makes me impatient and anxious for things to not keep on deteriorating.

I feel  that I will always be  inferior  somehow because ive had my ovaries removed even  amongst other women who are post meno but  intact. I dont mean thst to offend anyone on here who have all been so supportive. It is my feeling and none of you have ever made me feel that way  I wish I could say the same for a particular site I first looked at which I think actually planted that seed by telling me that. The effects of which have been realy damaging to me and others.i wish with all my heart I'd never looked at it.

The idea that the rest of my life will be so much harder in so many ways because I have no ovaries it's so hard to bare.

Thank you so much for your reply. Sorry  for spilling out so many questions I do have so many I feel I need to answer and feelings to resolve which  I'm sure you don't need to hear. Sorry. I just have no one I can say it to.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 12:02:56 PM by Tc »

Tc

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »

Very helpful indeed petricher.
I think you may be right. The  last week I was on the patch before I had to change over was the best week so far.
But that patch is out of production now.
I'm going to try splitting dose because night time And early morning seem to be the worst
Thank you and I will check out the link.
Hope you are keeping well. Best wishes
TC
Pages: [1] 2