Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Grombre  (Read 4142 times)

goldgalaxycat

Grombre
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »

Hi. Just wondering if any of you ladies out there have embraced your greys and grown out your dyed hair?  I am mid process, four months in, and loving the transition.

I'm nearly 57 and have dyed or had my hair dyed in the salon since I was probably 18. I had two really bad allergic reactions to hair dye in a salon recently and ended up on steroids for a week. My face, eyes and neck were  bright red and swollen and I didn't want to go through the trauma again. I've always said I could never let my hair go grey as I'm too vain but I'm pleased I've changed my mind. I had been thinking about it for a while before the allergic reaction, because I was fed up with having chemicals put on my hair every month.

I was encouraged by an instagram profile called grombre (like the popular ombré) where so many women of all ages are going through this process. I thought they would look older with grey hair, but was surprised when they didn't.

I would love to hear your stories if there are any grombre ladies out there.

jaypo

Re: Grombre
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »

Oh good for you,I'm too terrified,been blonde my whole life,albeit with a bit of help the last 15 years,such a pain colouring it,i'll maybe be brave like you................one day 😄

BlueButterfly

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:53:09 PM »

I'm not sure there but here (in the US) grey has become a popular color even among the younger women. I'm not sure why.
I know a few women that have not dyed their greys and I love the look! I am not going grey yet. Still got my blonde hair but if mine goes the way of my mother's, it'll turn white. People think she just added highlights to her blonde hair.
I stopped coloring my hair several years ago. Too many bad experiences and too much cost! I will throw in some temporary colors every now and then when I'm bored but they wash out. So when the grey comes....I won't be coloring it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »

I've left my hair natural for over 10 years.  I had very long hair which was cut to shoulder length when I was about 15; followed by a perm, looked like Crystal Tips  ;D - then it came short.  I used all-over dyes several times: looked like someone had committed murder in our bathroom  ;D.

I had hi lights for a few years by a professional who visited here, the scalp would itch and burn a bit so I did wonder.  I let it grow out for about 9-12 months between each treatment.  Gradually my colour faded to quite a nice effect so haven't had a colour since.

If all else fails, wear a hat  ;)

Lanzalover

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »

I've let mine go grey and I love it didn't think I'd ever be saying that  ;D

Lanzalover x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »

I overheard ladies talking about how much it costs to get their hair coloured so I told them that mine no longer costs me anything  ;D

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:16:39 PM »

Yes I've just grown out all my hi lights.  It's taken me 18 months . x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 04:39:47 PM »

Do U like the effect Dotty?

Ladybt28

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »

Nope  :-\ - absolutely not and I have no plans to either, just wouldn't be me.  It's a red, mahogany brown (lending towards more red!!).   My beloved husband "Vidal Campbell" is ace with rubber gloves and curl comb! so it costs me a fiver every 6 weeks but shades of grey are all the rage at the moment with the 20 somethings dying it grey!  If you stop you would defo be in fashion!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »

My hairdresser's hair is a blue/grey, she's convinced it's grey  :o ........ doesn't suit her at all.  It's also all over one colour and not as hi lights.

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »

CLKD - I'm getting used to my normal colour .... I've not seen it for about 40 years ! Can't make my mind up if I like it or not x

pricey

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 09:16:02 PM »

I have embraced my grey for the last 11 months. Currently a grombre effect going on. I never thought I would like it but I do.  I feel more confident. And the grey hair community on Instagram is wonderful.

Woodlands

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »

Hi there.
I embraced my grey hair about 10 years ago at 46, I got my first grey hair at 19 and by 36 was pepper and salt.
I get so many compliments about my hair colour it was so the decision to make.
Go girlies
Woodlands x

Shadyglade

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »

I only have a little grey and have had highlights for donkeys years.  Full hair dye would drive me mad.  Having to have the roots touched up all the time, especially as my hair grows so fast.  I have it cut every 5 weeks but should really do 4. 

Having highlights means there is much less contact of the dye with the scalp as my hairdresser pulls the hair through a plastic bag.  I remember seeing a TV programme, years ago which was all about hair dye being linked to some forms of cancer.  That put me right off.

Don't mind if I go grey.  Once I get a reasonable amount of grey through my hair I will stop highlighting.  I always think older people with full colour look a little odd.  You just know it's dye.  Just look a Paul McCartney. ::)

goldgalaxycat

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »

Oh good for you,I'm too terrified,been blonde my whole life,albeit with a bit of help the last 15 years,such a pain colouring it,i'll maybe be brave like you................one day 😄

Hi jaypo

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I wasn't brave, I was petrified.  I literally had no choice, I think I may have been hospitalised the next time  :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3