Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Tostran testosterone gel  (Read 1752 times)

cazjen44

Tostran testosterone gel
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:52:15 PM »

Hi, After finally getting to see a proper menopause consultant back in Oct '18 and being started on Sandrena gel and Utrogestan and doing quite well so far on this regime, I have just had review appointment 2 weeks ago and now been started on 2mg Tostran gel to try and give me more energy and spark back!  The consultant told me not to use a full pump but to use a half pump of the gel every other day.  I've been doing this since 8th Jan.  Not too sure whether it is working but I used it yesterday and felt ever so slightly headachey/blood pressure up and today I feel as though heart really pounding/blood pressure up and head feels 'swimmy/light headed'.

Anyone else using the Tostran gel and getting side effects?  Its either this new gel or my job which is making blood pressure rise! I'd like to persevere with it until I see consultant again in March, so just posting on here again for any advice as you've all been so helpful and supportive over the last year.

I've posted a few times on here and was feeling really poorly last year, but I'm starting to feel better and even started going to gym and doing gentle exercise as fitness levels have dropped considerably..yet another thing to worry about!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks  :)

Ovaries removed 2001 due to ovarian cysts caused by endometrosis at age 31, I'm now 48
Still have womb
Using HRT since 2001 (Prempak C but discontinued), lots of messing around by GP and unsuitable consultant and started on cyclo progynova but then that was discontinued Oct '18
Now using - 1mg sandrena gel, 100mg micronised utrogestan orally at night and started Jan '19 half pump of Tostran testosterone gel every other day.

Sooze

Re: Tostran testosterone gel
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 08:25:19 PM »

I started Tostran last May when it was added as a top up to Tibolone. I was initially told I could have a pump every other day but that was far too much with the Tibolone - I just needed a bit of a top up (got some very odd side effects), and finally settled on a petit poiis size blob every 3-4 days.

Then I changed to Sandrena 1mg & Utrogestan 100mg last Dec (switched to vaginally after a week or so ) and kept the Tostran the same for the first 2 weeks. I gradually increased frequency to every other day and increased the amount to ¾ pump over a month to keep symptoms at bay and I would say this is the optimum for me atm - no odd side effects either.

I'd try reducing the amount and/or frequency for a few weeks to see if the ‘side effects' settle and gradually build up.
HTH

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 01:29:55 AM »

Hi to both of you  :)  I am using Tostran 2% gel - this is my third week.  I am using half a pump every other day, not the full pump as advised just like you.  I would not go as far as to say I have any side effects but now you mention it I had a couple of seconds "swiminess" the other evening and again this afternoon - only 2 episodes I have noticed but thought nothing of it, Maybe it is starting to build up in the system - that may be your problem cazjen44  - you have been on it for about the same length of time as me?  Glad to hear you are feeling better though.  I am too, it has taken a weird feeling I had in my head away and I am not feeling so permanently knackered I can't move.

I would carry on for a while yet to see if it remains the same or settles.  If it remains the same I would (...I will if happens to me) spread the dose out a bit more like twice a week.  Mind you someone may come along and say we need to continue or up to the full pump...I wonder...?

cazjen44

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:15:04 PM »

Thanks ladies.  I'm going to keep going and yes I do wonder whether upping the dose but spacing it out more..ie every 2 days rather than every other day might be better.  I guess it's just trial and error but compared to last year, I feel better and my anxiety and extreme fatigue has gone.  Advice from both much appreciated x