Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Switching hrt, do you still get accumulative benefits  (Read 805 times)

EleanorB

Switching hrt, do you still get accumulative benefits
« on: January 27, 2019, 01:34:11 PM »

Hi,

I am thinking of switching hrt, went from oestrogel (1 day disastrous side effects) to evorel 50, been on the latter for 2 months. Although benefiting from less hot flushes, better sleep and mood  it has made my cognitive issues worse, this may be atypical migraine related. I tried increasing it, (three quarters of a patch rather than half on gynae suggestion) this has made things worse.

If I switch do I still benefit from the build up of oestrogen, or does a change upset the apple cart completely? Also is there another type of estrogen only patch? Grateful for any input.

Thanks.

Rosie63

Re: Switching hrt, do you still get accumulative benefits
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:54:41 PM »

Hi EleanorB.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer your question about the accumulative benefits but from my experience, I have always had to give a settling in time when changing hrt regimes.  I'm on Estradot patches which are oestrogen only and  I take a separate progesterone.

Hope this helps a little.

Rosie63 x

Hurdity

Re: Switching hrt, do you still get accumulative benefits
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »

Hi EleanorB

Where are you in menopause as this will affect how you feel on HRT to some extent ie how much your own hormones are coming into play? Increasing oestrogen slightly shouldn't make you feel worse so could be some other reason?

Yes you will continue to benefit from the oestrogen already in your tissues if you change patch, as oestrogen effects cellular changes - beyond the immediate responses - and these take some time (eg collagen production and effects on bone etc).. Like Rosie63 I use Estradot although there is likely only to be minor difference in absorption between them. Patches are much smaller though and you could ask for 37.5 mcg and cut off a but to start with, if you are looking to increase slowly. What do you use for the progestogen?

Hurdity x