Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New (?) Besins products  (Read 2618 times)

Conolly

New (?) Besins products
« on: January 28, 2019, 03:53:18 PM »

Hello ladies,

I was wondering if Duogestan and Trophigil will be available in the UK soon...

https://www.besins-healthcare.com/products/#womens

Duogestan has body-identical oestrogen and progesterone (oral tablets and capsules) and Trophigil is for vaginal atrophy and contains progesterone and Lactobacillus along with estriol.

I would like to know why they have added progesterone to the vaginal estriol.

Conolly X

Hurdity

Re: New (?) Besins products
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:26:01 PM »

Hi there - I have seen the Duogestan on their website - but we don't need it as it's not a new product as such (in that we can provide both the ingredients separately) and is in fact more restricting than what we currently have. GPs might like it because it restricts the dosage but it is quite limiting. We have a choice of oral estradol tablets 1 mg or 2 mg and also Utrogestan as 100 mg/200mg (usually 2 x 100 mg).

I don't know anything about Trophigil. Why not ask them and let us know what they reply?

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »

Hi there,

I have already asked Besins, still waiting for a reply. I just thought it would be interesting to post it on here, maybe some ladies have friends or family members in France or Belgium using them? Or even some members are French or Belgian or live over there?

Regarding the necessity of a new product, this is certainly important if the product is easier to take from the patient's point of view and also for the NHS in terms of cost and dispensing strategies.

I guess it's just a marketing issue, the manufacturers of the already available estradiol tablets are not keen to share the profits.

Conolly X

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 11:14:22 PM »

I remember in that Ray Peat site that some of the women used to use Progesterone suspended in Vitamin E to treat vaginal atrophy. It may exert some kind of protective barrier in addition to the oestrogen's regrowth of the tissue.

Conolly

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 11:54:28 PM »

Hello dangermouse,

Thank you. I'll have a look.

Conolly X

Jenna

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:56:42 AM »

I found some interesting information about a trial currently taking place to evaluate the use of progesterone as a treatment for Vaginal Atrophy:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02460302

"Brief Summary:
Atrophic vaginitis affects the majority of post-menopausal women. It is characterized by dryness and inflammation of the vagina, with thinning of the vaginal tissues. Atrophic vaginitis is caused by the decreased effect of estrogens post menopause. Traditionally, local estrogens have been used to treat atrophic vaginitis

Studies have shown that there are progesterone receptors in vaginal tissues. The use of progesterone to treat atrophic vaginitis has not yet been studied. However, its use has been studied in other populations including as a fertility medication in pregnant women.

There is a significant group of women who cannot use, choose not to use, or do not respond to estrogenic therapies. The goal of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of vaginal progesterone in the treatment of urogenital atrophy, compared to placebo. This study is a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial. The ultimate goal is to expand the treatment options for patients with symptoms of vaginal atrophy."

Conolly

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »

Hello Jenna,

Brilliant, thank you!

Conolly X

Jenna

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »

You're very welcome, Conolly.  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:07 PM »

That's very interesting Jenna - you're amazing at finding out things that members are looking for!

However anyone thinking this might be a new specially designed treatment - if you have a look at the link they are trialling a 100 mg progesterone capsule (for 3 months) eeek - for 3 times a week!  They are calling it a vaginal suppository - and the name is Oripro an Australian fertility treatment. From the description (bullet shaped waxy sold masses) it sounds much like Cyclogest which is available here (for fertility and used off licence for HRT). I dread to think of the side effects due to systemic absorption for anyone who is progesterone intolerant! Also if their vaginal walls are thin much will be absorbed especially initially.....maybe the dose will be too low for side-effects to dominate?

Also there are quite a few women already using 100 mg vaginally daily (along with oestrogen) - would be interesting to know if any of these still need to use vaginal oestrogen to keep comfortable (although I doubt there is anyone using progesterone only).

Hmm it will be interesting to see the outcome of this small trial....from a theroetical point of view ( ie whether progesterone can stimulate maturation of the vaginal tissues and lower ph as with oestrogen).

Hurdity x