Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Beware of Science funded by manufacturers  (Read 1933 times)

Conolly

Beware of Science funded by manufacturers
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-46972350

The product discussed in this news is not menopause related, so I'm not sure I can post it on these section, but it serves the general purpose of warning everyone interested in reading, quoting and trusting scientific studies that back up medical decisions.

Conolly X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Beware of Science funded by manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 08:13:02 PM »

I have said for years, always check who funds any Research.  I remember in the 1970s that a Report came out that sugar is good for us: funded by the British Sugar Company  ;D - but that's OK, it told me what I already knew: chocolate, chocolate and more  ;)

Research should also be Peer Reviewed.  It doesn't matter either which Journal it might appear in, there should be an over-all review of papers etc..

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 08:32:41 PM »

Well it was the fact that he didn't declare funding from the manufacturer in the case you are quoting. In fact much research is funded by the medical/pharma companies otherwise it wouldn't get done so there is an inbuilt bias to the questions that are asked. We would hope that universities and research institutions are sufficiently free despite their funding to decide research questions and report results freely whatever the outcome. Also it;s what happens to the results and how the media publicise them that has an impact too. Most published research is peer-reviewed though - but sometimes letters eg to journals in response to papers are not peer reviewed as such - and sometimes quote unpublished (therefore unreviewed) research

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 09:54:10 PM »

Hello ladies,

Yes, 'it was (and still is) the fact that he didn't declare funding from the manufacturer'. The fact that much research (amongst other things, such as charities and web forums) is funded by pharma or any other companies which business is directly linked to the matter being discussed, is well known, but the non disclosure of this fact is where the danger lies.

Hope, trust and belief are not scientific tools. Anything made public, whether it is a scientific research or a newspaper headline, has to be questioned regarding its validity and declaring conflicts of interest is paramount to the process of interpreting and contextualising scientific research. Without it, peer reviewing means nothing.

Conolly X
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:25:47 PM by Conolly »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »

I have often said that any article in the media should have at least Authors added so that one can do further research and investigations. Having been mis-quoted in our local paper in the 1990s, I am even more cynical about what is printed daily ......... it would be a full time job to investigate everything written, spoken etc.

Conolly

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:27:30 PM »

CLKD,

A full time job is not required, how many hours do you spent on here?

Conolly X

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »

There was a piece on the radio this morning about Pharma not producing any new ABs for 25 years.  This does not surprise me at all. 

Generally they are only interested in research for chronic illness drugs, that people will take for years.  Infection is treated with short courses so very little profit.  The idea now is to PAY Pharma companies to research new ABs.  This does not seem quite right to me.

Have you also noticed how the threshold for high blood pressure and cholesterol has reduced over the years.  I have as yet found no evidence that this has reduced CHD or stroke but it has increased Pharma profits. ???

snappy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »

You're right Shadyglade, always follow the money trail.

I was referred to a cardiologist because my GP was concerned about my blood pressure. The cardiologist wasn't unduly concerned with my readings, stating that it used to be generally accepted that it was ok for systolic levels up to 100 plus patients age and diastolic levels 100 and below.
I have never been convinced by the statin argument either, especially for woman. But then I'm a massive cynic from way back x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »

My GP explained the statin scenario really well ...... of course it didn't mean much and I can't remember what was said but on his explanation, I have been taking them.  Means I can eat what I want then?  Rather than taking more care with over-all health  ;)

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »

My GP explained the statin scenario really well ...... of course it didn't mean much and I can't remember what was said but on his explanation, I have been taking them.  Means I can eat what I want then?  Rather than taking more care with over-all health  ;)

Groan ;D

There is no hope for you CLKD.  Pass a doughnut.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »

........ >hands out plate<  ;D. not enough sugar on top though  :D

Shadyglade

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:18:00 AM »

Oh, I prefer chocolate icing, with cream inside of course. :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 11:18:16 AM »

:lol: :great:

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 06:57:32 PM »

Hello ladies.

I am also very cynical about the motives of the pharmaceutical industry. They are a business after all and the more customers the better, especially repeat users.

Btw I recommend vigorous exercise to treat your high cholesterol CLKD,  so please, please step away from the computer!

Take care ladies.

K.

Shadyglade

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »

You have been told CLKD.  ;D