Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blood Test results  (Read 4720 times)

TNM45689

Blood Test results
« on: January 25, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »

Hi

I have just received some blood tests back (print out by doctors receptionist) mainly to check on my estrogen and Vit D levels as jusy been diagnosed with Osteoporosis. I cannot get to see a GP until next Friday and just wondered if anyone had any more information:

- I am on HRT - what ideally should my estrogen levels be? MIne are 101
My Vit D levels are abnormal as well as Plasma C Reactive protein, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate and serum urea level!!!

Thanks
Tx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Blood Test results
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:13:26 PM »

Clear as mud - strange that the Receptionist is able to print out results prior to an appt.  :-\.  Not impressed, me! 

What do you mean 'abnormal' VitD?

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »

Hello TNM45689,

I don't know what your ideal oestrogen levels should be, it all depends on symptoms control.

The other results are inflammatory markers and if the levels are high you're probably having an inflammation process.

Do you have any kidney related disease?

Conolly X

TNM45689

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 03:43:20 PM »

I know!! It said Vit D levels abnormal - at 59

No kidney issues as far as I am aware.

xxx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 03:46:01 PM »

Could you ring a Pharmacist for advice?  Most have private rooms these days ......... my GP gave me the results for my VitD tests and recommended appropriate capsules to raise levels which really helped.  Now I recognise the symptoms I can re-start if necessary. 

Let us know?

Conolly

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »

Hello again,

Your vitamin D levels are within normal reference levels, if it's in nmol/L.

High uremia is primarily seen in: increase in dietary protein, aging, dehydration (prior to the test), blood in the gut, tissue damage (physical trauma, severe infection, major surgery, starvation) and if you're taking corticosteroids and other more scary stuff that I'm sure is not your case.

https://acutecaretesting.org/en/articles/urea-and-the-clinical-value-of-measuring-blood-urea-concentration

Do you smoke?

Conolly X

TNM45689

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 06:31:01 PM »

Thanks ladies - I will pharmacist for advice on Vit D. Everything else - who knows?

Tx

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:18 PM »

Clear as mud - strange that the Receptionist is able to print out results prior to an appt.  :-\.  Not impressed, me! 

Also surprised about this. Our receptionist can only tell us that a result is negative (if the GP has checked it and  given permission) but nothing else.

Salad

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 12:54:36 AM »

I'm sure everyone is different but I was given a range for oestrogen as around 200-300 if on HRT (for my age) but guess symptom control is also a guide.
There is a lot of research based evidence on Vitamin D levels which puts the optimal level at a higher range than the current NHS one. More like 100-200 nmol/L.
The important thing is to take Vitamin D supplements with its cofactors to keep control of Calcium.

Horrible waiting for your appointment but I guess it gives you time to do some reading before you see your GP - good luck  :)

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »

It's your right to be given a print out of your blood results, some surgeries charge for the printing.  If you have an online thingy with your surgery you can see your results (and ref ranges on there)
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 10:21:25 AM »

Not much good on getting a print out with no information though which the GP should discuss at an appt..  One of DH's blood results came back 'no further action required' but no one told him and we have never been able to find out who printed that at the bottom.  No joined up thinking there! at least let the patient know.  He was still having symptoms!

How are you this morning?

TNM45689

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »

Thanks ladies...

I am OK CLKD - frustrated as the blood tests were to try and identify what the secondary causes of the osteoporosis so I hope someone can fathom what is going on (I have made another appointment with good GP next Friday). ON the menopause side Mr Panay has increased my Estradot to 75mg and advised me ti take 1000mg of Vit D.

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend.
xx

TNM45689

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »

No no mention of what type of Vitamin D (it really is not helpful is it) and sorry I missed that about co-factors - do you mean things like Vit K....??

Thanks ladies
x

TNM45689

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 02:00:51 PM »

Thank you sparkle - yes please can you PM me the details - that is what I am looking for. x

SueLW

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 02:50:42 PM »

Your blood test results are yours. You are now legally entitled to them as soon as you ask for them.  They can't charge for them either.
Pages: [1] 2