Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utter confusion-help  (Read 1062 times)

Sgtvhilts

Utter confusion-help
« on: January 23, 2019, 09:42:59 PM »

Hi folks,
Where do I start.
Meno symptoms for about a year before starting femeston 2/10. Good, but now some annoying symptoms have returned
Night sweats, night wee's x2, urgency, itching, no motivation
See my gp- referral to meno clinic blood and wee test. Great
Now here comes the really confusing part
My Oestradiol is 1194, and urine negative - now this is where the confusion comes. If my Oestradiol is that much- I shouldn't be having symptoms, or should I. I have no idea. Indeed am I peri at all! Do I need to up the dose lower it duh- I have no idea- all info greatly received
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:43:38 AM by Sgtvhilts »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utter confusion-help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:42:20 PM »

Do read our threads about vaginal atrophy which mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well, your GP should have offered you treatment if your samples haven't grown any bugs.

Locally applied HRT for atrophy is different to that taken orally or by patches. 

Beaker

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 08:48:06 AM »

Now I don't understand why GP's waste time doing hormone tests.  The thing about perimenopause is that you have fluctuations in your hormones so what does an oestradiol reading on any one day tell you?  Absolutely nothing.  Because a week later, the reading might be in your boots.  I understand that the guidelines now suggest going on symptoms.  Not that I'm an expert or anything but your symptoms seem to suggest that overall you have low oestrogen levels hence the night sweats.  However, I would also ask to be screened for diabetes (if this hasn't already been done) as high blood sugar levels can also cause night sweats, night wees, itching, no motivation etc.  You should also be screened for Vitamin D and thyroid problems.  But a good GP will have already screened for these things.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 04:55:58 PM »

Sgtvhilts - as Beaker says - doing a blood test when you are peri-menopausal and on cyclical HRT is meaningless. That reading probably means you were close to ovulation - depending when in your cycle the blood test was taken and also what time in relation to taking the tablet. However it is puzzling to have night sweats if you are still ovulating and still achieving high oestrogen levels as well as taking the 2/10 but menopausal symptoms don't always go by the book! As Beaker says - your night sweats may be down to something else but could also suggest a change in dose or perhaps type of HRT?

As CLKD says too - you might need a vaginal oestrogen treatment if your itching is not due to thrush or infection.

It will be interesting to see what the menopause clinic suggests?

Hurdity x