Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Painful fingers  (Read 3054 times)

Cassie

Painful fingers
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:27:04 AM »

I have noticed if I pull my small finger out away from the other fingers on both sides it feels stiff and sore up the outside of the finger, could this be the start of arthritis or tendonitis, its only in the small fingers of both hands and no swelling nor redness just feels a bit stiff and strained....also get the ocassional achy knees as well, possibly just old age setting in but would not know the difference between soft tissue arthritis or rheumatism, or perhaps its too much uric acid will try cutting back on my daily glass of wine to see if it makes a difference.... ::) any other ladies get achy fingers, toes and knees?

Aby123

• First Flush
Re: Painful fingers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:17:44 AM »

Hi Cassie
I get awful pain at the base of both my thumbs, no redness or inflammation visible either.   Opening jars etc is starting to become problematic.  My GP says its arthritis, but Im also aching in the neck and shoulders too. 
Lots of other meno symptoms too, so I am currently telling myself to visit the GP to discuss HRT options.
Im sure there will be someone along soon to give you further advice xx

Jeepers

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:33:46 PM »

yes, I definitely do.

I get aching, tingling, burning soreness as if I've trapped my fingers in a door.  I get pains in my toes too, a burning pain under my second and third toes.  I remember getting carpal tunnel syndrome when I was pregnant, so does that mean its hormone related?

I hurt my upper back a month ago, and my neck and back are still a bit delicate.  I even get small electric shock type pains at the base of my neck sometimes.  The GP was spectacularly uninterested.  Told me to take ibuprofen and gave my omeprazole in case it upset my stomach.  At one point, I wanted to say "are you listening to me?", as he seemed in another world. 

I'm taking cod liver oil and magnesium at the moment.

Jeepers

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 07:09:29 PM »

Hi sparkle

That sounds very much like my pain. It's a sharp, burning pain, 2nd and 3rd toes . I've had it a couple of years on and off. It gets worse when I go hiking.

Anyway, GP has agreed to do thyroid and b12 bloods. Said it sounds like carpal tunnel

Jeepers x

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »

Jeepers I also noticed a burning big toe, when I went hiking, thought it was gout!

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »

That sounds very much like my pain. It's a sharp, burning pain, 2nd and 3rd toes . I've had it a couple of years on and off. It gets worse when I go hiking.

Sounds a bit like Morton's neuroma, although that's usually between the 3rd and 4th toes. Just a thought ....

JP x

AgathaC

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 08:40:08 PM »

I've got this. Was struggling to peel potatoes last Sunday!!
Hands, knees, hips, neck, shoulder.
Can't see the GP about this because I think it flashes up “anxious nutcase” on the GP's screen when you put in my name.
Just one of my many ailments  ;D

Rosebush

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »

I have very painful fingers & knee's, put it down to O/A and age, I have found that Bio Freeze Gel helps, it numbs the stinging/burning feeling...

Hope you don't have to give up your glass of wine, I love a tipple 2-3 nights a week, have to keep to 125mls as it could make my hot sweats worse.. :(  xx

Peacegirl

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:16 AM »

Thanks all, ive just done a test squeeze to see how they are today and its very very painful. But maybe its the type of pain it is which is making my mind go into overdrive and making it worse. I.e like squeezing multiple abscesses by accident. I just nearly just cancelled but think what ill do is go and explain and then just give if my best shot. Im goong to google some mindfulness pain management stuff. Thanks again x

JaneinPen

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:38 AM »

Like you lovely ladies I also have problems. I started with painful thumbs and occasionally dropping things because my hands would lock up.  This was diagnosed very quickly as osteoarthritis. Eventually it started in other parts and four years ago in my neck. It was very painful and I could not bend my neck when wanting to do craft projects or prepare vegetables etc.  An MRI showed that I have advanced osteoarthritis in the top three vertebrae.  I had six injections which was a very nerve wracking experience because of all the nerves that come off this part of our body (you can only identify the vertebrae when they x-ray each spot before inserting the needle not the nerves). The relief lasted about six months so to be honest because of the risk of any nerves being compromised and this in turn leading to numb arms if caught by the needles I have opted to manage it with lidocaine patches when it flares up.  The feeling of being zapped by a taser is the worst feeling but it does settle for a while. I now make sure I do not sit for too long on my computer/iPad,when reading or talking to people on either side of me as it will flare up and be more painful.  The pain is always there but as I said if it is really painful I use a patch for a few days