Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Another Mirena question  (Read 897 times)

SEU666

Another Mirena question
« on: January 17, 2019, 06:59:35 AM »

Hello everyone.
I've posted before about Mirena but just wanted to ask another question.

I'm 48, had Mirena fitted 20 months ago, and started Estrodot patches 16 months ago. Now on 75mg patch. Had some problems with vaginally soreness and on estriol cream, which seems to be doing the job.

Now it's 51 days since last 'period'. Had a spot of blood back in August, which freaked me out a bit, as not had any 'red' blood since a 10 day bleed after Mirena was inserted. Had thick brown/black bleed that's faded to beige sort of spotting/smudging on panty liner.

Before Mirena went in I was on pop, but periods were averaging 28-31 days. My cycle before I turned 38 were every 35-46 days, only had 10-11 periods a year.

Could this now mean I'm starting to skip a period??

Had two longer gaps now of 43 and 45 days, and 'period/spotting' has lasted for more days now.

Breasts are still very soft. None of the lumpiness that used to happen before period was due. No real signs a period is due, no cravings, no tearfulness. Just very tired as sleep not great!

Or is this all just standard 'Mirena' behaviour and I really have no idea what's going on in my body, or could this be I’m skipping a period?

Thank you lovely ladies for your help xx
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:09:16 PM by SEU666 »

Hurdity

Re: Another Mirena question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 07:33:01 PM »

Hi SEU666 - your post seems to have got missed. I have no experience of Mirena coil but it do know that once you have had one inserted there is no way of knowing what your periods would be doing naturually as ovulation comes and goes during peri-menopause. The progestogen dose given out locally is pretty large so prevents much of the normal endometrial thickening and then bleeding that normally occurs with the menstrual cycle.

Even if you were on standard cyclical HRT you would not know what your periods would be doing naturally and this is the "price" (if you can call it that!) of starting HRT before periods finish - which most women do and which is the best time to do so. Can you bear not knowing? Does it matter? If so then the only way to find out is to have the Mirnea removed and stop HRT for up to a year - a big ask I would say!

Sorry to hear you sleep isn't great - is this due to ongoing night sweats or other reasons? Re tiredness - have you had your thyroid function tested recently and is your diet good overall?

Hoping you feel better and more rested soon.

Hurdity x

SEU666

Re: Another Mirena question
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:47:11 AM »

Thank you Hurdity for replying.

You've said I was thinking someone would say really.
I was just ‘hoping' as I've had periods of sort with the Mirena that their not showing up after now 53 days, meant that things were getting a bit further along and life for me would even out a bit.

I actually slept pretty well last night for once, but feel shattered this morning. I've had a few sweats and been hot, despite room being cool and window open....even when -1 overnight!
The hotness overnight comes and goes. Nothing like before I started hrt, but last week I had 3 nights of sweating more and changing my nightshirt, and just waking often being hot!

My Mirena can still stay until May 2021 when it will be 4 years. So I'm thinking, from what you've said, to leave as is as the flushes before and very painful heavy periods, though nothing as major as some ladies on here, but worse for me, I can do without.

My diet could be better, but not too grim.

Had thyroid tested 17 months ago, full tests apparently...vit D, B12, iron levels. The works apparently, inflammation markers.

All within normal although calcium slightly lower but no mention of why or what to do. Maybe not that low!!!

Guess this is one lady who needs to relax and go with the flow...or lack there of...and look after my self.

xx