Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estrogel pump manufacturing problem!  (Read 3373 times)

Keepgoing

Estrogel pump manufacturing problem!
« on: January 17, 2019, 07:56:32 PM »

Hi

Not been on in a while, hope everyone is doing ok. I am wondering which hrt is closest thing to estrogel pump as it has a manufacturing problem and I am obviously going to have to get something else. I'm great on the gel so I'm dreading this. I was actually wondering if estradot is the closest? Thanks for any help appreciate it xx

Conolly

Re: Estrogel pump manufacturing problem!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »

Hello Keepgoing,

Where did you get that information, if you don't mind me asking?

I think the closest replacement for Oestrogel is Sandrena gel but the dose is different. How many pumps are you on?

Conolly X

Keepgoing

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:15:32 PM »

The manufacturing problem? My chemist told me as they cannot get it in and they are a great chemist and get everything in as they deal with all different suppliers.

The estradot I was just thinking it has the same estradoil make up, that was my thinking lol.

I have heard of sandrena I will have a look into it thanks x

Keepgoing

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:16:43 PM »

Oops sorry forgot to say I am on 3 pumps of estrogel xx

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »

Email the manufacturers and ask them if there is a problem and , if so, when will it be available . They are very helpful x

Conolly

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:35:19 PM »

Here you can see the dose equivalence http://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/services/womens-health-services/gynaecology-services/menopause-and-pms-clinics/links/FAXOestrogelsupplyshortage.pdf

Sandrena and Oestrogel have the same type of oestrogen, estradiol hemihydrate.

Conolly X

PS. Forgot to say, have you ask them for Oestrodose (Besins French version of Oestrogel)?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:40:29 PM by Conolly »

Keepgoing

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46:12 PM »

Thanks Connolly for the info, I will ask my doc for this. They cannot get in the French one either as I do take that when they cant get the estrogel but only in emergencies as it makes me itch.

Good idea about emailing manufacturer thanks dotty xx

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »

There were problems with Oestrogel last year twice but only for a few weeks . Sometimes a chemist tells you they can't get it but another chemist has no problems !

Keepgoing

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »

Yes dotty I remember problems last year but as you say was only a couple of weeks. My chemist is a really good one and can source anything you need so I know if they can't get it then there is a problem and they know I will only take the oestrodose one in an emergency but they can't even get that one. I will try them again tomorrow see if it's in yet, failing that it's the docs for me as I'm running out 😫

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 11:25:38 PM »

Hi Keepgoing !

I was on estradot before switching to gel and 75mcg patch made me jittery yet 3 pumps oestrogel I'm fine with x

Keepgoing

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 01:15:50 AM »

Hi Annie

Hope all is well with you. I think I'm going to ask for the sandrena gel. I'm keeping everything crossed that the estrogel is in tomorrow but if not I will need something until manufacturing problem is sorted xx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 08:48:57 AM »

Hi Keepgoing

Just to say that Sandrena gel is more concentrated than Oestrogel/Oestrodose. One sachet of gel contains 1 mg estradiol, and two pumps of Oestrogel/Oestrodosee contains 1.5 mg so to actually apply the equivalent to your skin you would need 1 1/2 sachets of Sandrena. However S is also formulated differently so may be absorbed differently too - but if you are using two pumps then 1 and a half sachets would be a start. It takes longer to dry and is quite sticky so you will need to be patient!

Interesting that they suggest that 2 pumps is equivalent to 1 mg Sandrena even though this is more oestrogen - I think as they are going the other way (stating the equivalent amount of oestrogel for 1 mg Sandrena) - it is the closest they can get - but this advice may also be based on trials into average serum levels with the two doses? It's not an exact science anyway so be guided by your symptoms if you do use it.

Also Keepgoing - just to note too that if Oestrodose is causing an allergic reaction (which is what the itching is) every time you try it (ie more than once) which disappears when you stop, do report it to the MHRA through the yellow card scheme and retain the bottle and batch number - as they are (supposed to be) identical products manufactured to the same specification at/by Besins in Belgium.

(I'm not sure where you got that link/Fax from Conolly and why it's on the web - but as an aside the info regarding testosterone is wrong but don't want to go off topic and discuss it here. Hopefully docs are not using the info about Tostran - there is no 8% and as for 2 x 2-3 measures per week - that is confusing!).

Good luck with getting some anyway Keepgoing! Keep on keepingon!

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 12:41:16 PM »

Hello Hurdity,

Yes, the fax is wrong regarding 8% Tostran (2%), thank you! The 2X 2-3 measures a week, should say one metered dose twice weekly. Maximal dose is three times per week.

The fax is just the same as the discharge letter available online http://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/services/womens-health-services/gynaecology-services/menopause-and-pms-clinics/links/GP-continuing-care-discharge.pdf and of course the 8% bit is wrong. I will email them to have that corrected, thank you.

Regarding Oestrodose... have you changed your mind? 'Supposed to be' instead of 'exactly the same'? Maybe you can post your doubts on the Oestrodose v Oestrogel thread?

Conolly X
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:39:15 PM by Conolly »

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »

Any luck getting your script *Keep going*?

I ask because my pharmacist is also struggling to source it.

Keepgoing

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 05:50:28 PM »

Hi folks

I got my estrogel in today. Yay. So no need to try get another one from doc. It must be sorted now but that was just over a week. Might stock up now lol. Hope you get yours gypsy. Thanks hurdity and everyone for info, hopefully I will never need it xxx
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:53:02 PM by Keepgoing »
Pages: [1] 2