Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Aortic regurgitation diagnosed 😭  (Read 3082 times)

Angel1964

Aortic regurgitation diagnosed 😭
« on: January 17, 2019, 05:08:20 PM »

Had an echocardiogram last week. Got results today and been told I have aortic regurgitation. I'm scared now with this so anxiety has gone up. Also told I have gastritis and been prescribed lansoprazole.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Aortic regurgitation diagnosed 😭
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:09:13 PM »

What on earth is aortic regurgitation when it's up and dressed?  Has this been explained properly? Right, did a GOOGLE on the NHS info..

If you haven't yet been, a referral to the appropriate Consultant would be the 1st move, with a list of your worries.  My FinL had a 'leak', monitored regularly by ultra-sound for years B4 opting for surgery where the valve affected was replaced by a bit of tubing  ::).

Of course your anxiety is up. I would want the whole ins and outs so that I could plan my next step!

You may find that Lansoprazole helps to line the gut to stop reflux.  Should be used for a short while and then go to something over the counter once symptoms are less. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:15:18 PM by CLKD »

Angel1964

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:25:35 PM »

What on earth is aortic regurgitation when it's up and dressed?  Has this been explained properly? Right, did a GOOGLE on the NHS info..

If you haven't yet been, a referral to the appropriate Consultant would be the 1st move, with a list of your worries.  My FinL had a 'leak', monitored regularly by ultra-sound for years B4 opting for surgery where the valve affected was replaced by a bit of tubing  ::).

Of course your anxiety is up. I would want the whole ins and outs so that I could plan my next step!

You may find that Lansoprazole helps to line the gut to stop reflux.  Should be used for a short while and then go to something over the counter once symptoms are less.

Hi all she told me was that it needs to be checked every 2 years!! So I've googled and seen that it cannot repair and can end up serious 💩. She said rest of heart no problems and that was it!!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »

My FinL had a repair  ;)

So every 2 years means it's of no real threat right now.  You could ask for a referral to put your mind at rest but they are looking at Scans all the while - but I do despair that you weren't referred to a dietician and to someone with which to discuss your worries.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 05:49:57 PM »

One has to read the correct info. on the net  ::)

NHS site this afternoon:

An aortic valve replacement is used to treat conditions affecting the aortic valve. These are known as aortic valve diseases.

The 2 main aortic valve diseases are:
aortic stenosis – where the valve is narrowed, restricting blood flow

aortic regurgitation – where the valve allows blood to leak back into the heart

These problems can be something you're born with or can develop later in life.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 05:50:44 PM »

Try not to despair but do decide who you need to discuss this with to get a clear idea of what is required. Will your GP have a copy of the Report?

Ladybt28

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »

It is where there is a weak aortic valve which allows blood to "back flow" instead of pumping through the value and the valve closing completely and not letting any blood back.  There are varying degrees of weakness and if it is very mild you are unlikely to know about it unless it shows up on an echo. You wouldn't even know it was there.  Sometimes they stay like that for years other times they can move along a scale and get worse until you have to have the valve replaced but they do that now with keyhole surgery. They don't repair them they replace - it can end up serious if it wasn't being monitored but now you are in the system to be checked there is no need to think it will be serious. They put the valve up through a vein in your groin and insert it on the end of a wire.  No invasive heart surgery anymore.  No need to worry Angel1964 - if it was a problem they would tell you.  I presume you had the echo because of palpitations and the acid reflux?

Angel1964

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:02:27 PM »

It is where there is a weak aortic valve which allows blood to "back flow" instead of pumping through the value and the valve closing completely and not letting any blood back.  There are varying degrees of weakness and if it is very mild you are unlikely to know about it unless it shows up on an echo. You wouldn't even know it was there.  Sometimes they stay like that for years other times they can move along a scale and get worse until you have to have the valve replaced but they do that now with keyhole surgery. They don't repair them they replace - it can end up serious if it wasn't being monitored but now you are in the system to be checked there is no need to think it will be serious. They put the valve up through a vein in your groin and insert it on the end of a wire.  No invasive heart surgery anymore.  No need to worry Angel1964 - if it was a problem they would tell you.  I presume you had the echo because of palpitations and the acid reflux?

Thank you ladybt.  I had it done due to my outer jugular vein left side of neck shows all the time. She said this is not related to the aortic regurgitation. I have palpitations in my stomach and it's been non stop since before Xmas. They have only diagnosed gastritis by pressing on my belly. She said if the lansoprazole doesn't improve it, to go back. I just feel so scared now after googling the aorta thing as I do easily get out of breath now and the heartbeat in stomach is 24/7.

Conolly

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 07:45:50 PM »

Hello Angel,

We have already talked, just want to send you a big hug from a fellow sufferer (different valve, tricuspid).
 :bighug:
Conolly X

Angel1964

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:56:03 PM »

Hello Angel,

We have already talked, just want to send you a big hug from a fellow sufferer (different valve, tricuspid).
 :bighug:
Conolly X

Thank you Conolly. You are a star for chatting to me yet again. Big hugs coming back to you xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:58:58 PM »

Try not to worry.  If it was more serious you would be seen more often.

:bighug:  It is so clever what 'they' are able to do, I think I would watch  :-\ ...........

Angel1964

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:41:25 PM »

Try not to worry.  If it was more serious you would be seen more often.

:bighug:  It is so clever what 'they' are able to do, I think I would watch  :-\ ...........

Thank you CLKD. I'm trying I'm relaxing in bed and going to read now. You are all stars on this site for support. Xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »

Keep letting us know what you find out.   :yes:

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:54 AM »

It's a fairly common diagnosis, did the say what stage it was? Trivial regurgitation is found in hearts with no structural problem, it's a common incidental finding, mild they normally keep an eye on every 2/3 years, if it was moderate you would be seen more regularly, severe you would be on a operating list.
I will PM you tomorrow, as my mother had surgery for aortic regurgitation.

Angel1964

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 05:06:09 AM »

It's a fairly common diagnosis, did the say what stage it was? Trivial regurgitation is found in hearts with no structural problem, it's a common incidental finding, mild they normally keep an eye on every 2/3 years, if it was moderate you would be seen more regularly, severe you would be on a operating list.
I will PM you tomorrow, as my mother had surgery for aortic regurgitation.

Thank you Tinkerbell. Xx