Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Can I pick some brains?  (Read 1715 times)

Pennyfarthing

Can I pick some brains?
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »

I emailed our Parish Council about something and the Clerk forwarded my complete email to the person (not on PC) for their reply.  I am not happy about this as I think it might be against privacy/data protection laws.  The person has then replied to the Clerk so now knows its me who has complained plus my email address etc. 

I have replied saying I am not happy she shared this information but she hasnt replied yet.  If I want to make a formal complaint who do I send it to as the PC are all up each others backsides and will just ignore me I feel.

JaneinPen

Re: Can I pick some brains?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »

Not sure what others will think but I was on a PC committee for a while (seems like they are the same all over!!). As it is known that it is you that made a complaint and you felt justified in making it the one thing you should not do is apologise for any of it. What I would now do is at the next committee meeting I would make sure it is on the next agenda for you to be able to say that you are not withdrawing your complaint but that you are very unhappy at how it has been handled and then it should be discussed

Gangan

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »

Pennyfarthing

I've just found this which seems to imply that you need to mark a letter or email containing a complaint that you want it to be Confidential.

http://askyourcouncil.uk/understanding-your-council/making-a-complaint/

Gangan

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »

This happened to me in the 1990s.  I complained about someone locally and the Clerk sent both my complaint and her reply to me to the person concerned. I was not happy.  I haven't trusted her since .  One shouldn't have to put 'confidential' it should be obvious. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:45:46 PM »

Pennyfarthing

I've just found this which seems to imply that you need to mark a letter or email containing a complaint that you want it to be Confidential.

Gangan

Thanks.  I think this is referring to a complaint you might have against the council though.  I was complaining about a village matter. 

Gangan

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:07:34 PM »

Pennyfarthing

Gangan

Thanks.  I think this is referring to a complaint you might have against the council though.  I was complaining about a village matter.

Sorry if this is the case. I just read within the article to send any complaint to the Parish Clerk which i assumed was for consideration by the parish council not the district council.

Hope that you feel you can still stand your ground over this matter.

I wouldn't want any complaint i made being sent straight to the person concerned. It should be discussed by the parish council and then the person informed. Then up to the person concerned to find out who put in the complaint should they want to.

I've no first hand experience in this but we are hanging fire at the moment on approaching our parish council over a matter so interested in your thread.

Gangan

AgathaC

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:36:15 PM »

Hello PF, Parish Councils vary greatly in size and therefore in experience, professionalism, etc. Having said that they all have to adhere to a set of standards/code of conduct. It is my understanding that unless you specifically request confidentiality, and have a valid reason to do that, they are free to share your complaint and the fact that you made it to anyone WITHIN the Council. What they cannot and should not do is share your public data without your consent. The email could have and should have been forwarded (if at all) with the personal details and your name and email address taken off. If you want to make a fuss, I would pop along to your MP and ask his/her advice, given that the Council are bound to try and cover up (maybe too strong a word) any breach of confidentiality or non-adherence to policy and won't want to deal with it xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:05:56 PM »

Surely the content of the complaint should mean that it is confidential  :-\