Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feel like I'm going mad.  (Read 1547 times)

Carlin

Feel like I'm going mad.
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:14:49 PM »

Hi guys, I'm Claire, 46 and I thought still too young to be reaching this point. When did middle age creep up on me?

The last 6 months I've been anything from an emotional wreck, crying at anything to turning into a raving lunatic in the next. I was beginning to think the Tazmanian devil had moved in. I could hit my husband with the rolling pin at times, you'd think he'd earned my sudden irritability, he hasn't, even watching him chew one evening, drove me to distraction. To be fair he doesn't need to be in the room, some days I could fall out with myself, I rant and rave well enough alone.

He's a wonderful, funny, loving man, how he copes with me is beyond me. He has this look, hell even my dogs have it, one grimace and I can see they're thinking, 'God she's on one again.'

Tired all the time, sweating to the point I have to towel down in the middle of the night, that's his fault too, obviously it didn't click I was the one too hot. No interest in sex, him, anything to be honest. I feel like I'm existing one day to the next.

I have been to dr's, I had a lady Dr, so young I think she just saw the nutter I've become and not the confused, scared person. She'll understand in around 30 years, when she reaches this point. I've been given anti depressants, who knew, they work for this too. I find it peculiar to take them, when the last thing I feel is depressed, raving maniac maybe.

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Feel like I'm going mad.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »

Hi Carlin
Hormones, that's it.
Are your periods all over the place? When was your last one?
Doctors are so good at prescribing antidepressants, but if you feel like you don't need them ,
go back and get some hrt.
If you're still having periods, then you'll need sequi, NOT conti ones.
I'm sure someone else will post soon about the hrt, as I'm on conti and don't know much about sequi. Except, you'll still have a bleed on them ones.
Middle age creeps up on all of us, I still feel 21 sometimes, but I wish it'd tell my body that!
Hang on in there, and as for your hubby, I'm always going on at mine, I think he just switches off now.......🙀🙀
Good luck, keep posting, someone's always on to answer your questions..... :welcomemm:
Xx

Dancing Queen

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »

Hi Claire,  The exact same thing happened to me, I went to the Dr with the same symptoms (ie raving lunacy!!!). The 1st Dr prescribed antidepressants and like you I didn`t feel depressed despite the fact that I was crying all the time I knew it was hormonal for me. The antidepressants made me ill and after reading all the wonderful advice on this forum I went to another Dr and asked to try HRT. I now feel much better, if not quite my old self I would say about 80 per cent there most of the time. It seems that some ladies need HRT, some need ADs and some need both ... but for some reason a lot of Drs go straight to the AD option without considering HRT. Hope you find the right solution for you xx   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 05:32:45 PM »

Oh do join in - sounds hormonal from where I'm sitting!

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary.  Also, do print off the 'hints for husbands' from here.  Tell him to learn to duck  ;)

AgathaC

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »

Claire - I'm 46 too - I was normal until 4 years ago when I changed into the new me - ugh - look different, feel different, am different. Loads of minor health niggles and a massive dollop of anxiety (mainly health anxiety so one fuels the other). To be honest I've been better since I've accepted that it is “The Change” (as CLKD always says - it does what it says on the tin) and found this forum of wonderful souls x

Ellen May

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:16 PM »

I also went to see a female gp to talk about the peri menopause recently. Thought it would be better to see her rather than my own lovely, male gp.

Anyway, she was very young and started by saying that you do not get palpitations in the menopause...

I left soon after that!