Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How do you know you’ve made it,  (Read 1208 times)

Nickyp

How do you know you’ve made it,
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »

Hi ladies, how do you know you've been completely through the menopause and are out the other side. My periods stopped  at 49, I have been on conti hrt for 3 years. Is it just a case of stopping the hrt and see what happens, if so how quickly do symptoms return?

Taz2

Re: How do you know you’ve made it,
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »

Yes I think that's the only way really. Do you have a specific reason for wanting confirmation or are you just curious? We're never through the menopause as such as symptoms change as our oestrogen levels continue to drop but some symptoms, such as mood swings, should become much less once we are post meno.

Taz x

Nickyp

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:45:16 PM »

I suppose just curious and don't want to be taking hrt indefinitely. Scared to stop it at the moment (I'm 54) as I don't want to go back to the mess I was but do I really need to be taking it.....

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »

I'm almost 65 and hope to be on it indefinitely. I can't cope with the hot sweats which return when I stop using it and it is good for my pelvic floor health and vagifem alone doesn't stop the dreaded VA in my case.

It takes around three months for my symptoms to return. You could stop it and see what happens. You might not get any symptoms at all!

Taz x

Karen max

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:22:35 PM »

Hi  Nicky
We are all different but when I stopped hrt patch because of side effects from it my hot flushes dizziness mood swings were back with in a week ..
I'm 4 yrs post meno age 51 at minute having trouble finding right hrt to suit me but I will be happy to stay on it as long as doc gives me it as this menopause seems to get worse for me longer it's going on

Kaz

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:29:59 AM »

Hi Nicky I had a couple of goes at stopping it and symptoms returned then at the third attempt ,when I'd had enough of the side effects I was suffering with the hrt, I decided to try again and it's actually going well it's been over 20 weeks for me now.i still get the occasional hottie but I can cope with that now.none of the terrible bed drenching I had b4 so I like to tell myself now I'm through it.maybe try it and see how it goes but I would think it's still early days for you.im 62 now so it was probably easier for me.good luckDD😘

Ladybt28

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »

After what I've been through they are going to have to prize hrt out of my cold dead hands!!  I'm 57 and only just got it sorted. I suppose I might feel different at 60 or 65 but to be honest I very much doubt it. I'm planning to be ready for the guinea pig study of how hrt works in 80 year olds!! You are pretty young Nicky and it's working.  I am of the opinion "if it ain't broke don't fix it"...but obviously if you want try and do without, it's your choice.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 04:14:58 PM »

Hi NickyP

I reduced my hrt a couple weeks ago, with the intention of coming off it,
only by 0.5mg, but by the start of the 2nd week, my moods had dropped dramatically,
I panicked, and started it again, as I didn't want to go back to where I was before,
maybe had I have stuck it out, I'd be ok now, as my body adjusted, who knows, but because I have a lot going on at the moment too, I don't need to be depressed on top of everything.
I will try again, my doc wants me off mine In 2 years time, so I've got time yet.
I'm 54, 4 years post meno......
Good luck whatever you decide, but let us know how your getting on....xx