Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Menopause or just getting older?  (Read 3045 times)

Tc

Menopause or just getting older?
« on: January 12, 2019, 02:53:22 PM »

Hiya ladies. Interesting thought.
Many articles I've read seem to lump in some menopause symptoms with "JUST GETTING OLDER.
Well. I didn't have any of these symptoms before surgical meno upon which I was hit with the lot.
It's only been 5 months so yes I have got older😀 but I think I can safely say I know it's menopause.
Obviously as we age certain things happen to our bodies but all at once? And within 5 months? 

I wonder if ladies like me in surgical meno are a good guage of exactly what symptoms are meno induced as it's so sudden and there is a definite before and after line in the sand?

What do you all think?

Tc

Re: Menopause or just getting older?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:27:55 PM »

Birdy. I should have included early meno in my post. The fact that someone is young when it happens lends weight to the thought that it's not just age.

Maxwin

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »

Hi Tc, I went straight into full blown surgical meno 8 years ago following hysterectomy.  I remember speaking to the consultant in hospital explaining my symptoms and asking was it normal for them to all happen so quick literally overnight, he said yes you've had everything taken away so your body has basically crashed :( He gave me HRT patches there and then but I tried to do without to give myself chance to adjust but only lasted about 3 months before the hot flushes, night sweats, lack of sleep, brain fog, got too much.  I seemed to lose my mojo and to be honest even now 8 years later not really got it back!  Doctors don't seem to understand really the impact it has and still has as I have tried to come off the HRT but felt so bad with an instant return of symptoms.  Will be 60 this year and everyone says I don't look it so that's nice :) Seem to ache lot more now and groan everytime I get up from bending down etc.  Exercise although the last thing I want to do sometimes is a must.  Keep well.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 06:23:33 PM »

As an aside, what is 'old age'?  Who decides what age is 'elderly'  :-\.  It makes me mutter these days ..........

When ill with depression I felt 90 every morning for several years  :'( but once I'm out of bed, I can get on.  PHEW!

As another aside, nothing is 'only' or 'just'  ;)

Tc

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:43:58 PM »

So true clkd.
My mother is 80 and plays golf and bowls. She recently tore meniscus in knee falling down a golf bunker. It needs surgery.
First consultant said take pain killers and get a walking stick.
She got a second opinion and this was interestingly a young doc. He said it's about quality of life and will proceed with op.
Some people see an age and make assumptions.
Being told it's just your age has left many people I know depressed. No one wants to be told that.
Age is a number on the doctors notes. Take a minute to chat to the patient and find out what their life is like and what they expect from life .
I agree no one should be fobbed off with the age thing it's insulting and outmoded
I guess what I was trying to prove on here is that some things which are put down to age could be purely hormonal and I must say I didn't feel physically any different to age 30 before my surgery.

I guess having seen what my my mum and dad go through with ignorant ideas about their advancing years it makes me mad when people are told it's age when I can say when it comes to meno as with everything in life. It realy is irrelevant.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »

I agree - labelling is irrelevant.  It's a bit like guidelines for children to reach milestones, some take longer to reach them than others. 

Also, sometimes if a person finds themselves alone for what ever reason/s, it enables them to pursue hobbies etc. put to one side - so they can get a 2nd wind ...... though that might be all that veg. ;-)

Tc

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 12:37:11 AM »

I guess I don't think about the fact that some people find a better life after a partner dies depends on the relationship.  I was in love  with my wife for 21 years, still am and  my life is not better without her.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »

I would be the same.  I wouldn't survive without DH.  He's my ROCK!  We don't laugh often but he cooks for me, does some cleaning, uses the axe for kindling ......... we've been together since I was 16  ;).  He also cooks.  Every day.  Several times a day, I could but I won't.

I don't feel 65 though  :D - yet  ::).  We have been lucky in not having too many aches and pains that can't be eased with appropriate medication, unlike a friend who had a total knee by the age of 62, a new hip by the age of 65 and another knee by 67.   :-\.  Chronic pain can make a person feel older too.

Trouble is, lack of oestrogen can mimic 'old age'  >:(

Tc

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »

Yes. After 3 months on hrt blood test showed my E was what would be expected post meno with NO Hrt. No wonder I haven't had any improvement.
To make matters worse I seem to have absorbed the P but not E so no wonder I've felt so rough.
Yesterday I cut a patch in half and added it. Something I've done a couple of times and I did feel a little better within hours..
Can't wait to get on the gel so I can increase it myself.

Tc

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »

Birdy. What did you switch to and did it help raise the E. The thing is cos my own ovaries dont come into playvita like a flatline.
It's gutting isnt it when you get no improvement.

AgathaC

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »

It's interesting - what's meno and what's old age and whether you can distinguish between the two.
I think you can, Tc.
I come from a family of “young” Old people (my Dad is mid eighties, drives sports car, runs 2 miles at lunchtime, still “works”) so, at 46/47, I would expect to be “young”.
Perimenopausal since 42 and I have aged physically so much - hair, skin, nails, all drying up. Weight gain. Creaky joints. Aches and pains. I can feel myself aging hormonally and the knock on physical effect is considerable.
Photos of myself about four years ago are (frankly) upsetting to look at. It's no wonder that I spend so much time feeling anxious about my health and thinking I'm about to pop off because I look terrible!!!
It's not a question of not taking care of myself. It's my hormones leaving town.

Tc

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 09:26:12 PM »

Birdy thank you so much. So glad you are getting some results.your words mean an awful lotxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:43 PM »

I had a second (and very abrupt, crashing)  menopause (just my blinking luck ) at age 45.  Up until then I was a party animal, mini skirts, fun loving etc.  Then one day I didn't even recognise myself.  I aged overnight

The only thing that's saved me (and things are still going wrong with me) is the gels (E&T)

I started golf 7 months ago and every woman there at the golf club that I've played and spoke to about meno say they sailed through it, I now think yheres a pattern, they weren't affected so kept active.  Without this hrt regime I'd never have the energy or strength to play x

Tc

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »

Annie glad to hear your able to be active. And with golf it's not just the excersise it's the social aspect.
It is a bit of a vicious circle and I'm in it right now. We're told  Exercise helps symptoms but if your symptoms are so bad  you are in pain,have no energy or motivation and are depressed it seems impossible to do.

Something has to break the cycle
. It seems for you it has been the hrt. I'm very happy for you and it gives me hope that when I switch from the patches to the gel I might see an improvement too.

Mind you, I don't know about golf, I was very very bad at it  before meno so can't see me improving since. Lol.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »

Golf spoils a long walk  :-X  :D

Pages: [1] 2