Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Statistically how many woman have no issues with HRT compared with those who do?  (Read 5910 times)

pepperminty

Hi Ladies,

thank you all for your responses. Apologies if I don't answer individually as I am having a bit of a stressful evening.

A pole sounds good and yes I am on HRT tablet form.

There must be more sucess stories than failures surely. The NHS should have all the info somewhere. Although there are variables the side effects in the main should be the lesser of 2 evils otherwise there is no point in HRT surely. There must be enough data out there somewhere . If some HRT's are classed as the gold standard then why aren't we all started on them?

I still wonder exactly how many of us are on it and how many not.

Peppermintyx

Shadyglade

If I remember rightly, the 'Menopause programme' that was on the BBC, stated that only one in five menopausal women use HRT.  That seems quiet low to me and if a reasonable proportion of them give up, after a short time, that does not leave many women making use of it.

Perhaps Emma or Dr Currie has some info on this?

Roseneath

Just some input on my own limited experience of HRT.   I was put on Elleste Duet (mid cycle) in response to a bad bout of insomnia / increasing anxiety. I had no other Peri symptoms although my period cycles had been erratic for months. After three weeks I came off it after consulting my GP as I was having awful nightmare and dark thoughts (which stopped as soon as I came off).  Since then a couple of GPs have told me they think high estrogen or swings in levels may be causing the anxiety. If I had known this I would never have taken it.  I am dismayed that there seems to be no coherent view as to what hormones cause which symptoms and why. It seems such a scatter gun approach.  There are huge similarities in symptoms on this site; some people take HRT and sometimes see improvements but I've not come across anyone who has not either had a relapse or worsening symptoms /side effects at some point; as I have with no HRT.  I sometimes wish I could have a blood testing kit and work it out myself at home.

Ladybt28

Pepperminty - I think there are success stories but it is like anything people usually only go searching for information or explaining their circumstances if they are negative - it's human nature really. When we find something which is good or the solution to a problem, or things get generally better we sort of shrug and get on with our lives and I think the same is probably the case with HRT.  I also think Droopydrawers we can be "allergic" to loads of different stuff.  What doesn't agree with me would be fine for you. eg femoston definitely didn't agree with me but loads of ladies here take it quite happily nor did Provera progesterone!  Elleste wasn't great either and PrempakC wasn't strong enough although it took 7 years to work it out!

I am sure there are plenty of women who go to their GP's and get put on some form of HRT and never give it another thought but the same thing probably applies in the stats too.  If GP's practices have patients that report everything is ok and are on repeat prescriptions why would they give it any thought?  Most people only collect stats on the issues where they need to use them to work out the scale of the "problem" they need to "solve".

I have had some terrible problems which I now believe to have  been hormonal all along throughout my life but my meno journey excacerbated them and they have only been taken seriously because I was at a time in my life when GP's thought they should have been focusing on hormonal issues.  If I had always known what I have learnt from this site years ago, I could have made a case earlier but its just a case of which comes first the chicken or the egg?  Why would I be on a site like  this when I was 25 or 30.  It's like those poor young women at 20/25 who get cervical cancer or bowel cancer and doctors dismiss their symptoms "because they are too young to fit the profile for cancer"!  When I was 26 "hormonal problems" didn't exist as far as the medical profession were concerned much less find anyone who would do anything about it if they did'nt think you were off your head!

Some of my hrt hasnt been right for my body and I think as we go through 10 years of peri into post meno the treatment which is right at the beginning is probably no right for us at the end.  I have had to be on the ball but looking back I am probably better today than I have been in 20 years! (having a good day today people!) in terms of joint health, sleep, pain, anxiety, panic etc.  Still can't get the depression under control but boy is it easier to live without the rest of the stuff every day but it has taken about 3 years to get there.  Looking on the other side, where would I be if I had given up - personally I think I wouldnt be commenting on here or anywhere!

It certainly is an interesting subject bearing in mind half the world is female and there probably should be more stats than there are but it seems it has only just "become a hot topic" (pardon the pun! :steamed:) in the wider world generally more recently.  Most people find themselves here on the forum because they have an issue or a question or need support.

I think stats will become more important because there has been a petition in Parliament about better HRT services and the likes of Louise Newsom are appearing all over the TV now.  When that happens women ask their GP's awkward questions which need proper answers and that's when people in the medical profession start looking for answers and treating it like a problem that needs to be solved.

EnglishRose

I am on Oestrogel for two months now. It is a Body Idenital hormone.
Apart from some jittery feelings when I was initially increasing the dose (that stopped the longer I was on it) i have no side effects.

I started on 1 pump a day and now am on 4 pumps which is apparently the maximum.

Ladybt28

I am so glad to hear your anxiety is settling EnglishRose!  Its surprising how things sort of gently even out and you almost don't realise its happening.  :great:

EnglishRose

I am so glad to hear your anxiety is settling EnglishRose!  Its surprising how things sort of gently even out and you almost don't realise its happening.  :great:

Oh I was a WRECK back then. I could not even focus on the TV or a book.... I had HA and id never had it before. I know I have VA now, no two ways about it and whilst I would not wish it on anyone its still better than what I thought I had with my HA.
I think my oestrogen is still VERY low though... even on 4 pumps. Spent too many years slapping Progesterone on me and trying to dominate Oestrogen. Did not understand the consequences of what that meant long term. Now I have to reverse the process! lol

Hope you are well too xxx

Annie0710

I have been on hrt for 20 years, since I was 32

Initially I was given oral elleste solo and it took ALL symptoms away.  Then at 45 I believe was when my ovaries did their mysterious disappearing act and I crashed terribly, and suddenly.  Tried patches, tried Tibolone but was getting nowhere.  Then tried oestrogen  gel and testosterone and I feel so much better x

Autumn27

I may as well add some thoughts to this thread. I had menopause at 47, and so was the first of my friends to go on HRT, due to very bad hot flushes, insomnia, low mood etc. I had read everything I could on the subject of bio identical hormones, and heard a BBC radio programme that convinced me to to go for it. I paid to see a private consultant who wrote to my GP, and I was referred to the NHS menopause clinic.

I've been having problems recently when my dose was increased, but before then had 7 years of wellbeing on Estradot patches and oral Micronised Progesterone 100's. As a result many of my friends now in their early to mid 50's have started the same regime. All are doing very well and feel that it has benefitted them enormously and improved their quality of life.

All in all I feel very positive about HRT, when the correct dose is prescribed!

EnglishRose

I may as well add some thoughts to this thread. I had menopause at 47, and so was the first of my friends to go on HRT, due to very bad hot flushes, insomnia, low mood etc. I had read everything I could on the subject of bio identical hormones, and heard a BBC radio programme that convinced me to to go for it. I paid to see a private consultant who wrote to my GP, and I was referred to the NHS menopause clinic.

I've been having problems recently when my dose was increased, but before then had 7 years of wellbeing on Estradot patches and oral Micronised Progesterone 100's. As a result many of my friends now in their early to mid 50's have started the same regime. All are doing very well and feel that it has benefitted them enormously and improved their quality of life.

What were the problems when it was increased if you dont mind me asking?

Katejo

I am curious about this too. During peri I didn't seriously consider HRT. My flushes were very mild and I had no night sweats. I also didn't have problems with anxiety (at least no more than when i was younger). I also sensed that the GP's weren't enthusiastic and I was aware of the risks so I didn't push it. However there have been other symptoms which I thought might be eased such as aching joints/calves/soles of feet. I have just got a meno clinic appointment in a few weeks from now. The main factor which caused me to request that has been reading the new book about oestrogen and its benefits. I just want to consider it for a trial period.

I am now using local hrt (vagifem) and I really wish that I had known about this during the past 10 years or so because of the many UTI's which I have had. Now that I am using it, i am sleeping better because i don't need to get up in the night to go to the loo.

I don't know anyone (outside MM) who is using HRT. My friends are either not doing so or don't want to talk about it. i have discussed it with one or two of them

Droopeydrawers

I've removed my post because on reflection the last thing I want to do is put any doubts into anyone's mind so good luck ladies I'm quite sure your lives will improve for the better in the future so hang on in there.DD😘

Katejo

I've removed my post because on reflection the last thing I want to do is put any doubts into anyone's mind so good luck ladies I'm quite sure your lives will improve for the better in the future so hang on in there.DD😘
   I am not sure whether I had read your post or not but I don't remember reading anything which would worry me in this discussion.

Autumn27

[/quote]

What were the problems when it was increased if you dont mind me asking?
[/quote]

I experienced bleeding I was not supposed to have.  I started another thread about it. Everything seems to be out of balance. I hope to sort it out next week at my meno clinic appointment.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42280.0.html
Pages: 1 [2]