Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Statistically how many woman have no issues with HRT compared with those who do?  (Read 5908 times)

pepperminty

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if a study has been done recording excatly how many women are on HRT and how many of those women have issues, what they are and the severity etc. For example if 100 women take HRT are 10 % of those women having issues , or is it 50% ? I realise that there are many variables but in essence are the majority fairing well ?  I am also curious as to what is the most prescribed regime of HRT, and if it is different in different countries.

Peppermintyx

Dierdre

That's interesting, I'm 62 years old been on oral Hrt and patches for only six months, didn't get on with it and now use just local oestrogen , but I don't personally know anyone else that's on hrt or been on HRT. None of my family, friends or work colleagues use or have used HRT.  Are we such a minority?

Dancing Queen

I know a few people on HRT, all doing pretty well on it. Most are using patches x

Night_Owl

Pepperminty, interesting questions - as we know, there are so many variables of HRT and different stages of peri and post - plus the individual biochemistry response.

From talking about meno with friends/acquaintances etc, I only know of *ONE* other who is taking HRT and having issues with it. 

This is only partly an answer - the NHS Meno Clinic I attend have said the main issue with HRT is progesterone intolerance and it's the No 1 reason why women give it up.  In their experience - of the women who take HRT, 20% will have progesterone intolerance issues - within that 20%, 10% will be severely progesterone intolerant and will likely stop taking it.  Many women don't want to have a bleed and when they take progesterone conti, the side effects outweigh any benefits.

All the HRT recommendations from the Clinic I've had and used have been patch with separate progesterone (ie. Utrogestan, Cyclogest, Crinone) not tablet.  I'm wondering if tablet form is now out-dated and transdermal preferable due to liver by-pass.

I've had many issues with HRT after trying a wide range of different types (and herbs, supplements etc) over 12+ years.  For me personally, I don't get on that well with HRT, whatever type, mainly due to progesterone intolerance issues but that's just me and my constitution.  Neither could I take the pill, particularly sensitive to miniscular hormonal changes.

Are you on HRT Pepperminty?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Interesting.

I haven't required HRT for sweats etc. but the VA treatment has been essential.

I've been on ADs etc. since 1988.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:55:17 PM by CLKD »

Ladybt28

I think there are a number of factors in play.  These are just some random thoughts and not in any particular order I think...Firstly I have never encountered anyone who has talked about hrt in general openly
but then I have only one close friend of the same age and she doesn't take anything nor have we discussed it.

Secondly I think women hear about treatments in the press and are possibly a little more clued up about what they can have but are let down badly by GP's who are definitely not clued up! They just don't think any of the things we can complain about would be meno and they are just too free in saying "it's all in your head have some AD's".  Some women know they have meno problems which can be sorted, these problems vary on a scale of mild to totally debilitating and life changing, but they get the wrong treatment given to them which causes other problems so they give up.  I would say those that give up are the ones with mild to medium issues.  Personally my meno problems are on the "off the scale" list and there is no way I would give up my hrt in a million years to go back to any of them and I know they come back cos I was off my hrt for a while.  So regardless of any issues I had if I was given the wrong treatment (and I have been). A bleed or "user friendly" treatment is nothing compared to feeling like I have been.  To be honest I would end up dead without it, it's that bad.

Thirdly, athough there would be no way to test or prove this but it is my hunch based on a number of things, that I think more women are suffering from "difficult" meno than in the past (although like my husband says they used to put women in assylums with the "vapours" or say they were "suffering with nerves", so it has always been that some women suffer more than others!).  I believe that modern living generally, polution, the increase of plastics and chemicals in our water, homones and antibiotics given to our meat to keep it healthy have caused differences and fluctuations in human hormone levels (and studies have shown in the animal kingdom too) that didnt exist before without the general stress of modern living and the fact that what is expected of older women today in the world we live in is very different to 25 years ago.  We work longer and are not expected to turn into and behave like "grannies" of 30 years ago.

I think the meno issues and solutions and the talking about it all is in a weird period of "just coming out into the open, but nowhere near there yet".  In about 5-10 years time I think the whole thing will fall into place with regard to treaments and that it is an "out in the open" conversation.  I think we are living through the "twilight years of the menopause" - but that doesnt help anyone living through it now right?

Having read this back - I've lost track of what I was trying to get across :-\ :lol:   Hope it makes sense to someone!!!

Conolly

Hello ladies,

Very good question and very good posts, including yours, Ladybt  :)

IMHO there are no statistics on this matter. It's an important subject for research, albeit a lot of variables would be a problem.

How do you define issues as pertaining to HRT, menopause or aging? They are intertwined and subjective. Another problem is how to compare the various types of HRT, first the studies should compare the same regimen and then amongst regimens (intra- and inter - comparisons).

We could start a poll thread and see how it goes. Something like 'What HRT are you on and for how long? What issues do you think are HRT related?' We could list a number of known issues and an option for 'other' and a blank field to be filled in.

Conolly X

Dancing Queen

I agree with Ladybt that meno just isn`t talked about much generally. But I have told all my female friends close and otherwise what`s happening to me as I don`t want people to think I`m acting weird or going off the rails just for attention seeking! Funny I didn`t think about hrt when I first hit a bad patch a few months ago as I knew nothing about it but in an email conversation with my best friend from schooldays I mentioned that I was crying all the time and she said "yup that was me" ( I was gobsmacked, she`s a hardnosed barrister a real tough cookie!) "you need hrt patches".  Then co incidentally another friend also said she was on patches. A while ago in the pub with a table of 6 women of similar ages who I don`t know all that well I thought let`s ask the question and said "are any of you on hrt" and 2 were on patches and one on pills. So it`s amazing really how many people are but just don`t talk about it. And yes the doctors are clueless, they do jump straight to AD`s before hrt, makes me wonder if it is because they are cheaper? The 2nd Dr I tried who actually agreed to let me have hrt said "you know it will only help flushes not low mood?" Wrong!!!!
BTW my Mum never talked about her meno but thinking back remember her once threatening to stab my Dad with a nail file lol think that may have been a pointer!         

Ladybt28

My Mum had an appalling time during meno, but she didn't have any hrt as far as I know, in fact she took nothing for anything and avoided GP's like the plague! My Dad is the mildest mannered person ever and I remember one day when he actually really threatened to leave her and her mother (my gran) who lived with us agreed that was what should happen and went to pack her bags for her!  He didn't but he was on his way out of the door for real.  Her moods were off the scale.  I think I knew what it was all about but everything like that was totally hidden then.

She was badly disabled with rheumatoid arthritis and I wonder now how not having hrt affected her bones and her pain levels without any of the other issues meno can bring!  She was unbearable.  I was in my teens, she's been dead 25 years now.

If you know how to start a poll Connolly, it could be useful, but it is very subjective because each of us is so different and some have underlying conditions for which they take meds  and those meds interact differently with the hrt, hence Night_owls comment about tablet form HRT being possibly an outdated mode of delivery.
The info that she got from the people at her meno clinic is very interesting about progesterone intolerance because it is one of the major causes of issues that gets posted on here for those taking HRT or it seems to come up time and time again.  A couple of months back someone on the forum asked why there wasn't any transdermal progesterone? 

What I have noticed is that there seem to be loads of different hrt's being withdrawn from the market, but I only know of one being introduced which is Duavive specifically for progesterone intolerant women funny enough.  Although the press and celebraties are all commenting on it an being interviewed it doesn't seem like it's very high on the medical professions list of priorities which is weird given that half the population of the world are women who either are or are going to be menopausal!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

As an aside my maternal granny probably had post natal depression as she was 'put away' after her 4th baby was born, for 9 months.  Mum doesn't remember going to visit  :-\

Conolly

Hello Ladybt,

I agree with you. A poll would be just a starting point, depending on the results some patterns could emerge and be further investigated. It could be an interesting mental exercise. BTW, I have no idea how to start a poll over here. Other websites have this option, but I think the admins can do it.

Conolly X

Kathleen

Hello ladies.

HRT has been very disappointing for me. I acknowledge that we are all different but surely the range of responses can't be that vast! How do endocrinologists allow for variables in their patients for example or doctors administering fertility treatment? Surely there is more that can be done to understand why some of us have such a difficult time.

I think Louise Newson has begun a survey of women's experiences of the meno and it'streatment so her site may be  good place to visit.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Conolly

Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for this info, I will check her website.

What would you answer in a poll on HRT issues? Do you have undesirable side effects or lack of good effects?

Conolly X

Ladybt28

Cheers Kathleen I think I'll check out her site to see if I can find that survey.  I think doctors administering fertility treatment would be a prime example of the variables that come into play because just think how many people are unsuccessful for what appears to be no definable reason compared to those who do have success with fertility treatment. One person I know had nearly 5 rounds and no luck, heartbreaking.  My daughter had 3 goes at fertility treatment.  2 were unsuccessful here in England and the 3rd one they had done in Cyprus and it seems after doing a lot of reading the clinic in Cyprus is very successful.  In the UK stats are 50/50 but the clinic in Cyprus has an 80% success rate.  They took 6 eggs, fertilised and implanted 3, 2 of which took so she had twins last March.  She says she is going back for the other 3 at some point!! (best of luck, I said...get to grips with the twins first!! ;D)

Conolly

Have completed the survey, hope she can have as much feedback as necessary to draw a good picture of menopause care. Would it be ok to open a thread about it?

Conolly X
Pages: [1] 2