Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Elleste Duet and hair loss  (Read 6088 times)

JemT

Elleste Duet and hair loss
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »

Hello! I'm looking for some advice from others who may have shared this problem. I was diagnosed peri about 2 years ago (age 42) and as a last resort went on HRT 11 months ago (Elleste Duet). I now have very noticable hair loss, particularly around my hairline and temples. I know this isn't life or death stuff, but it's been so upsetting. I went to the GP who put it down to stress and wasn't aware it could be related to the HRT. However it didn't take much investigating to find out that the ingredient norethisterone is known to cause hair loss. My bloods are fine (no thyroid issues). Second GP also wasn't aware of this possible side effect, but agreed it was the likely cause.  I've stopped taking the HRT but I am so upset about what is now a very visible problem and I'm now obsessed with daily checking..... So my quesion for all you lovely people..... Will hair growth return? Does this take long? Thank you!

Marie62

Re: Elleste Duet and hair loss
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:31:11 PM »

Hi JemT
I've suffered hair loss for years after taking omeprazole for stomach problems, it caused half my hair to fall out but as my hair was so thick and coarse it wasn't that noticeable. Around autumn I would lose quite a bit but it would grow back, it's never been as thick as it used to be.
I was on Elleste Duet Conti about a year ago and I noticed my hair getting much thinner at the sides and temples, much more so than the usual amount I lose in the autumn so yes I'd definitely say Elleste can cause hair loss.
I've been on Angeliq now for 5 months and I think it's starting to grow back a bit, it's certainly very shiny and healthy looking.
I used to obsess about it and was always peering in the mirror to check if I'd lost any more but I've stopped that now as it just caused me more anxiety  :(
I think your hair will grow back now you're not taking Elleste but it's a slow process unfortunately, I take a multi vitamin with iron as my diets not great and if you're low in iron it can cause hair loss.
Finally try not to check your hair everyday as you're unlikely to see any new growth as it is slow to appear, difficult I know but I stopped checking for 3 weeks once and could see some new hair growth which was encouraging :)

JemT

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »

Hello Marie62,
Thanks so much for your reply and your own experience of Elleste. And also about not obsessively looking at hair loss/ growth! It's hard when you feel you're losing your crowning glory and the GPs aren't sure what the cause is, or following up. I know I'll just have to wait and see now. I just wish I'd done a bit more homework prior to taking hrt, but was so desperate I grabbed the 'quick fix'. Thank you again!

hereandthere

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »

Hi JemT

In case you are still reading, I was just wondering if your hair came right and if you changed from the Norethisterone? I'm on Evorel Sequi which has the same progresterone and also worried about a lot of hair loss.

Rosebush

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 12:45:30 PM »

My hair loss started about 6mths 'before' using HRT, but after 11yrs of hot sweats 24/7 i did hope HRT would work so i would get more sleep, regain energy  get out more  eat better etc, and my hair would stop falling out, but now nearly a further 9years on, my hair is still a problem, had loads of tests and it was put down to age & menopause :'( 

My patch contains Levonorgestrel not Norethisterone..

Really hope you hair does start to come back, i know how you must be feeling.. :-* x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »

Here is the information about progestogens and how related to testosterone they are - those that are more closely related may be more likely to cause hair loss: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Progestogens which can be used cyclically are of 3 main types:

Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
    Less testosterone related - Medroxyprogesterone acetate(MPA).
    Least testosterone related - Dydrogesterone and Micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

Also this link: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/progestogens.php

Hurdity x

Rosebush

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 10:07:39 PM »

Thanks for the link Hurdity, so please FemSeven Conti not on the list..x

hereandthere

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 04:41:12 AM »

Sorry I didn't reply Rosebush!  I'm starting a different therapy- Femigel/estrogel and utrogestan, so hopefully it'll improve finally.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 09:47:46 AM »

Thanks for the link Hurdity, so please FemSeven Conti not on the list..x

Sorry Rosebush missed this from July! As you said earlier Femsevon conti contain levonorgestrel which you will see is dervived from testosterone. The list just gives the progestogen types not the HRT preparations which contain them.

Hurdity x

hereandthere

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 06:50:25 AM »

Oh no, I see Stellajane advocates against daily progesterone and I have the utrogestan pill to take every day unless I get spotting. Whereas before with the Sequi I only had half a month. So the issue could get worse not better for me!

NorthArm

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »

You might be ok on the Utrogestan as it's the most body identical progesterone available xx. I lost lots of hair on norethisterone, but it's all grown back thank goodness- it's always been my crowning glory lol - I was standing behind the door for other things - height for example lol. But I think I went twice around for hair, skin and boobs 😂😂. And I'm so glad it came back!

At least you can go back to sequi if necessary xx

hereandthere

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 06:17:27 AM »

Well that's reassuring, thanks NorthArm. I also used to have much thicker hair and people say they can't notice I have thin hair but it's upsetting for me. I'm also a shorty- two feet and a half- it's very NB to mention that half 😂. However I've small boobs. I was so excited when they grew at the start of the Evorel, but sadly it didn't last 😂

hereandthere

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 10:19:26 PM »

The telogen effluvium has  immediately got better off the Evorel. No longer do I see all this hair in the bath after washing. It remains to be seen about the frontal balding, which I have been concerned about.

I tried a shampoo called Prosana, for only a few Rand less than Plantur and it just made my hair greasy, so I was going to try Plantur, but since been using L'Oréal Fibrology, which I rather like.