Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aargh!!  (Read 2437 times)

Tc

Aargh!!
« on: January 02, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »

Hiya ladies. Hope this post finds you all as well as I would dearly love it to.
Just wondered if anyone with hrt knowledge can help me.
Went to gp today to pick up scrip for new hrt regime.
Gp said she can't prescribe it as the letter from gynae consultant doesn't make sense.
The consultant had told me I should switch from femseven sequi and would prescribe E gel and utrogestan.
The letter she sent to gp has asked for ULIPRISTAL 100MG DAILY. With no break.gp said it doesn't come in 100 and that would mean taking 20 tabs daily and it's a very high dose and would produce no bleed. Whereas utrogestan would be taken days 1-25. And Utrogestan only comes in 30mg
Basically she said something is wrong here and that the consultant needs to 'sort the mistake and also make it clear whether she wants me to have a bleed or not. She couldn't prescribe me anything today except a scrip for femseven sequi which you can't get for love nor money.

She said she will write to the hospital. Gawd knows how long that will take I've already been waiting 2 weeks for the scrip.
When I went into chemist I showed him the letter and he agreed it's a very high dose and there seems to be a mistake.
Aaargggg!!!! :bang:
Anyone know anything about ULIPRISTAL?
Thanks and hope the new year brings you all much better health (and better health care!!).
Xxx
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:27:13 PM by Tc »

AgathaC

Re: Aargh!!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 06:24:37 PM »

Just what you DON'T need!
I would contact the Consultant myself and get him/her to clarify by email ASAP and then go armed with that to your GP. You can say to the consultant that you know the GP will be contacting him/her but you need an answer ASAP.
I think if you wait, you're right, it could take ages xxx

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »

Hello Tc,

Ulipristal is used as an emergency contraception and sometimes for leyomiomatosis (fibroids), so I have no idea why you would be prescribed that. It has anti-progesterone activity so  there's no reason for taking it along with Utrogestan.

Conolly X

Tc

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 06:32:55 PM »

Hi conolly. She prescribed it instead of utrogestan.x

racjen

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »

Oh bloody hell,what is wrong with these so-called experts? I'm beginning to think there really is no such thing when it comes to the menopause. I hope you get it sorted quickly, sounds really stressful x

Conolly

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »

Oh, sorry. Anyway, I don't see any reason to prescribe it, unless you have fibroids? Utrogestan doesn't come in 30 mg... are you sure they know what they're talking about?

Conolly X

Tc

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »

Thanks Racjen. As agatac suggested, I ain't waiting for the letter. All h*'ll is gonna break loose tommorow. She could have potentially prescribed something harmful.
I just don't know cos in all my research on here I had never heard of ulipristal.
Luckily I got a copy of the consultants letter and due to an amazing receptionist at the gp surgery who winked at me and said "it's not a personal copy it's for the hospital, I didn't have to pay 20 quid for the copy. There are some angels out there.
But let's not forget the fact that this GP who I havent seen before, raised her eyebrows to the roof and said " why did they leave your womb? They took your ovaries and not your womb?".

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »

Everything's  f...up....

It drives me mad!

😡🤬🤬🤬😡

AgathaC

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 07:58:48 PM »

On a serious note, this is a lesson to us all to always ask questions. Why is that being done? Why are you prescribing that? Are there any alternatives? What are the side effects? Etc etc etc.
I know that I am bad at doing this for two reasons 1. I assume that experts are indeed that and therefore should not be challenged and 2. I often feel so anxious at appointments that I just want to get out of there xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 08:04:22 PM »

I agree that there are 'experts' out there with not a clue.  Which is why I hate the word 'expert'  >:(

Well done on the GP for noticing.  Backed up by the Pharmacist.  Biggest problem is another wait.    You could also send a PM to Dr Currie on here.

Tc

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 08:36:42 PM »

Clkd personal message to doc Currie? How do I do that?
Agatac. When I cared for my wife through terminal cancer I wad so on top of everything. I had everything written down, learned how to interperat blood results, care for at home and make the decision whether to call an ambulance, temperature checks etc. One time she was prescribed a double dose of a drug which made her very I'll and I spotted it. I became like an expert in her care and an advocate for her. Docs would look to me and even photocopied my notes!!!
Guess I have to do the same for myself now.

Conolly

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:39 PM »

Tc,

Here you have the reason why Ulipristal acetate is offered https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fibroids/treatment/
Quoting...
"Ulipristal acetate may be offered to women over 18 years old who have not yet experienced the menopause if they:
have moderate to severe symptoms and are waiting for surgery – only 1 course of medication would be prescribed
have moderate to severe symptoms but aren't able to have surgery – more than 1 course of medication may be prescribed."

And here you have the link to raise a concern about a doctor: https://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/raise-a-concern-about-a-doctor

Conolly X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 08:54:02 PM »

There is advice on contacting Dr Currie in the HOME area I think.

Tc

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 09:45:11 PM »

Thanks CONOLLY for taking the time to find and send me the links. It is so much appreciated. I cannot find a single reason to prescribe this drug in surgical meno and I have googled it to pieces!!.
And thanks CLKD Will check it out.
Xxx
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:47:26 PM by Tc »

AgathaC

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 11:25:10 PM »

I think Mrs Tc was very blessed to have you caring for her, during what must have been such a difficult and awful time xxx
Lots of love to you xxx
Pages: [1] 2