Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estradot AND estrogel?  (Read 1013 times)

allie007

Estradot AND estrogel?
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »

Hi everyone,
Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and wishng you all a Happy New Year.
I was wondering if anyone uses a combination of both patches and the gel?
I went from using 3 pumps of gel to 100mg Estradot patches (started on 50 then increased from that to 75 then 100). Ive been on 100 since the end of October and still dont feel great. I'm barely sleeping and i feel so miserable most of the time and no enthusiasm for anything. I have been referred by my GP to HRT clinic. They werent much help to be honest, very rushed appointment and said they would write to me but haven't heard anything yet since my appointment on Nov 22nd.
Ive still got a couple of bottles of gel so am toying with the idea of using a pump of gel as well as the patch.
No idea if i am post menopause as I havent had a period since having a Mirena fitted over 5 years ago which was relaced this August. I am 47.

Droopeydrawers

Re: Estradot AND estrogel?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »

My consultant advised me to do just that allie because I wasn't absorbing on the gel she added in the 100 estrodot patches and said if too much cut the corner off patch if not enough top up with however many pumps of gel it takes to make you feel better.have to say though I never did it I decided to completely stop hrt and it's been over 3 months now and I'm doing fine.good luck with whatever you decide DD😘

allie007

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 07:35:19 PM »

Thank you DD, its comforting to know you've done that and its working. My GP isn't very supportive and was reluctant for me to use more than 2 pumps of gel on its own. Best wishes for the New Year and hope you continue to feel well xx

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 10:16:24 PM »

Best wishes to you too allie and hope 2019 is positive for you DD😘

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »

Hi allie07 - there is no problem with using two different types of oestrogen - in fact it can help some women get the best out of HRT. Generally though women swap from one to another if there is a problem with absorption using one method. In your case though as you are up to the max dose patch then gel provides an easy way of getting a little more - although you do have the faff of both patches and daily gel application. If you don't mind that then go for it!

Have your oestrogen levels ever been measured? I know these are inaccurate but might give an indication of whether or not it is being absorbed. Also do you know where you are in menopause? Presumably not as you've had the Mirena and probably your periods stopped before menopause as they usually do with Mirena?

Have you thought whether your symptoms may be due to the progestogen from the Mirena rather than insufficient oestrogen? Have you had a resurgence of flushes and sweats (which are causing lack of sleep?) or are your symptoms mainly low mood? Also have you tried all the sleep training techniques? How is your diet, caffein and alcohol intake and especially exercise ie are you physically tired when you go to bed? Perhaps you need less sleep than you think?

Maybe your testosterone levels are low despite your young age? You would have an indication that this could be a problem if your libido is low, but I would have thought you might feel more fatigued and therefore sleep more if T levels were low.

Just a few thoughts...

Hurdity x

allie007

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 07:28:09 PM »

Hi Hurdity, hope you had a lovely Christmas and Happy New Year to you.
The only time my levels were checked were last March when my menopause was 'diagnosed' and all the GP told me was that my FSH level was 60. Despite me asking several times they have refused any more tests.
I was wondering about the progesterone as my coil is fairly new. Ive been lucky in that i have never had a hot flush so its just the sleep and mood. Im shattered by late afternoon and my mood is just so low. All the things I used to enjoy I just can't be bothered with. And its hard because Im a single mum with a 6 year old, no help from his dad. My diet is good, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, very little processed, i have maybe 2 or 3 glasses of wine a week which i can barely tolerate any more. Libido...wouldnt have a clue! I'm too knackered to go out in the evening. Nearly 4 years without a night out! X