Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: One patch or two?  (Read 960 times)

jasmine5

One patch or two?
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:05:19 PM »

I was taking Femseven Conti patches for quite a while but it became unavailable so my GP swopped me to Evorel Conti patches, one patch applied twice a week.  I continued with this regime for a while but found that I was experiencing what felt like a sort of build up of Oestrogen which led eventually to very painful boobs and period-type symptoms.  I found this quite distressing as I found it impossible to lie on my front because of the pain and was also experiencing bad mood swings so I made the decision to stop the Hrt.  Within four or five days I started to feel very hot at night and couldn't drop off to sleep even though I was tired.  Within two weeks perspiration was dripping down from my armpits and behind my knees and I was going outside to cool off at least twenty times every day.  I felt so distressed by all this that I started using the patches again but decided to use just one a week instead of two.  This was about a month ago now and so far so good.  My symptoms have gone and I feel 'normal' again now, but I'm worried about just using one patch instead of two.  What I would like to know is will this regime cause me any problems, especially in the long-term?  Or could it be now that I'm older I just dont need the higher amount of Oestrogen any more.  I'm aged 60.

Dancinggirl

Re: One patch or two?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »

The combined patches are medium dose so it sounds to me as though you only need the low dose HRT anyway. I'm sure that one patch per week is fine or you could cut the patches in half and use twice a week to give you a consistent dose?

You could switch to low dose oestrogen only patches (maybe 37.5 or 50mcg ) and have a low dose of progesterone as pills alongside (Utrogestan or Provera) - however this can be a bit of a nuisance as you have to remember take the pills.

Either continue what you are doing or try cutting the patches in half and see how that goes.  DG x

Hurdity

Re: One patch or two?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »

I agree that you would get a more consistent dose by either cutting patches in half or using a lower dose separate oestrogen patch and progestogen as Dancinggirl suggests. As the patch is designed to be changed twice a week you may find you notice when your oestrogen levels drop off and then you could get more side effects at patch change time? It may also increase the likelihood of spotting if progestogen levels also rise and fall. However if it's working for you then great :)

Hurdity x