Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please help,I don’t know what to do next  (Read 2696 times)

Lisa1966

Please help,I don’t know what to do next
« on: December 29, 2018, 02:52:07 PM »

Hi ladies,
I've not been on here for a while,I have been on Estradot 100mcg patches,but was having sticking problems,so I was adding in a bit of estrogel as well,but it was becoming a nuisance,I was supposed to be getting my estreogen levels to 600-700 but it just isn't happening,my last blood test was<40,so I have given up and am currently not taking anything,the problem is I'm starting to feel anxious and I am scared I am going downhill again,I really can't go there again,so what I'm asking is what shall I do,my doctor is more than useless and the consultant I saw privately doesn't respond to my emails,I feel incapable of making decisions at the moment,I don't want to leave the house,feeling pretty scared right now .

Lisa xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Please help,I don’t know what to do next
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 03:33:08 PM »

How long were you on the Estradot?  Could you not put micro-pore tape to hold them on?  Have a talk with your local Pharmacist for advice and also, send a message to the manufacturer.

How about 6-8 months of Anti-anxiety medication to tide you over until you find an HRT that sticks?  I find Rescue Remedy mouth spray helps too.

Lisa1966

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 03:41:34 PM »

Hi clkd,
I'm already on venlafaxine,mirtazapine and propanalol,I was on estradot for about 6 months,before that I was on estrogel 6 pumps a day,but wasn't absorbing very well,that's why change to patches,I was thinking maybe oral is the way to go,but I have stage 3 kidney disease so don't know if that is viable.

Lisa xx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:52:24 PM »

R U taking anything for the kidney disease which would cause the body to be slightly moist = non stick patches?

Lisa1966

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »

No not on anything for the kidneys xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »

Have a word with a pharmacist perhaps? 

Conolly

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »

Hello Lisa1966,

Do you have oily skin? I have used Estradot for 3 months and they wouldn't stick on my bum but were OK just above bikini line.

Do you think you are not absorbing enough from the patch? If you have stage 3 KD tablets are not recommended. Maybe an implant? I don't know if they are still available on the NHS.

Why both Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine if you don't mind me asking?

Conolly X

Lisa1966

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 04:16:39 PM »

Hi conolly,
That's just what the psychiatrist put me on when I was very ill last year,I was to scared to be on my own,had to have someone with me 24/7,was permanently anxious for 8 months,even when with someone,was the scariest thing I've ever been through,I can't go there again,I just wanted to die and to be honest I felt so ill,I thought I was dying,if my family hadn't removed my meds from the house,I think I would have taken them.
So as you can imagine my biggest fear is it happening again,I already don't want to go out anywhere,I just go to work and home,that's my life at the moment and I'm so tired,I can sleep 12 hours xx

Lisa1966

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

I have been sticking them on bum cheek,I'm definitely not absorbing,my level did get to about 300 on gel,but consultant said I wasn't absorbing very well and to try patches as more than 6 pumps of gel is unwieldy xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »

Stop beating yourself up!  Depression and anxiety are difficult to deal with as chronic illness is constant.  You get up, go to work, get home - sleep is healing.  It's the time of year when, if 'in the wild', we would sleep more anyway: up at dawn, bed at dusk.  Keep up with the medication, do you have an appt. with the Psychiatrist soon?

Conolly

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 04:35:32 PM »

Thank you for answering. I understand you are afraid of going through hell again, but maybe it's time to see the psychiatrist again after one year on those meds, mainly because of stage 3 KD. Do you think your anxiety had hormonal influence? Are you still peri or post-menopause? Have you ever had high oestrogen readings?

Conolly X

Lisa1966

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »

I have been discharged from the psychiatrist,they were pretty crap anyway,they had me on olanzapine,then quetiapine which are anti psychotics,even though I wasn't psychotic,I don't think that helped,I have suffered with anxiety on and off since being a child,but nothing like last year,my biggest fear is that it could come back to that level and I know I would have to end it,I don't want that to happen obviously,that's why I don't know what to do about hrt,I haven't taken any for about 2 weeks,it's a gamble.
I do think it was to do with hormones,I think maybe it was a massive decline in estrogen,but my highest reading on hrt was 300 xx

Conolly

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 04:59:53 PM »

Any readings before HRT? I'm asking because I had very high readings before perimenopause and obviously the plunges during peri were just horrendous. I guess women with 'normal' oestrogen levels before peri may have less problems when the levels start to fluctuate.

Can you try another psychiatrists? Or maybe a menopause clinic if the extreme anxiety was purely hormonal? I'm also a naturally anxious person but during peri things got quite dangerous, if you know what I mean. I'm off HRT, had trialed for 3 months and gave up, but now 2 years postmenopause I feel much better regarding anxiety.

Conolly X

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »

Hi Lisa1966
I'm so sorry you feel so crap.
No wonder if your levels are so low.
If I were you I'd stick that patch on, and I'd stick it on with glue if I had too!
When I was on patches, I had a problem with them sticking, so I used a burn plaster.
Got them off e-bay, they come in different sizes, and they're like a second skin.
I know they say that if we use something over the top, then we can't see if the actual patch has stuck, but I used to warm the area up first with my hairdryer, then stuck it on, and they always stayed on, even in the shower, and my clothes never rubbed it off.
It's worth a try, ANYTHING to give you a chance of feeling better, and not going back where you were before. I'd even wear two patches at once, if that's what is needed to get levels up and making me feel better.! Although, I don't recommend that to you.
Please try and get the thing to stick, don't give up. You deserve to feel better.

:bighug: xx

Roseneath

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »

Hi Lisa 1966 Hugs from me. Hormone change and anxiety are truly horrendous but know that you are not alone. It is chemicals and thoughts, not 'you'. Can you change GPs, even go to one a further walk/drive away? I have found it makes a HUGE difference to have a sympathetic GP to talk to. I tried about 8 until I found one that ' got' my anxiety problem. Ask for an urgent (same or next day) appointment. Ring round surgeries maybe. I find just sitting with a GP and talking things through gives me a plan and some comfort for the next week. I am doing CBT and an online Beating the Blues programme at the moment but have had a horrid week.  It is very hard to take even small steps forward though when the anxiety grips. In the short term I put the radio on loud, keep hydrated and eating. Fight back, keep busy - even one small job to distract your mind.
Pages: [1] 2