Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Christmas exhaustion...  (Read 3176 times)

Kb21

Christmas exhaustion...
« on: December 28, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »

Anyone else suffering... Had 3 days of different family. 12 ppl for meals everyday. My mum did far more cooking than me, but I feel wiped out after all that social interaction!!

Been lying on the sofa all day, it's been bliss.

Gangan

Re: Christmas exhaustion...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »

As is said "fish and family last 3 days" !

Gangan x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »

I can lay about all day  ::).  For the 1st time in over 40 years, I have returned from C.mas not tired. 

Years ago we visited family, lots of.  Then we stopped doing that and none visited us where we stayed.  So we stopped.  Because we travelled to them, I worked out that on C.mas Day I got into and out of our car no less than 15 times  :o between various families .  No wonder I needed a week to get over it all  ::)

So we put foot down with firm hand and never again  ;).  Are you already planning for 2019 ?

Kb21

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »

Well the family are.....

My parents have always hosted it, I'm one of 6 children so this has always worked well. As not all siblings can fit everyone in and other issues.

However dad died two years ago and it's been slowly morphing since then. I now stay all through Xmas and help mum which works well. However both one brother and one sister and their respective families have now said they both want to host next year....

So that's going to be another family drama. They won't talk about it reasonably and just decide for one to do next year and the other the year after. Someone will end up upset.

Quite ridiculous. I'll go wherever, I've never offered to host because I don't have room and I'm the only single parent, so less money. But I do loads at my mums.

To be honest I'd quite like to go away next year...

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:37:55 PM »

That's a Hotel then: a couple of weeks B4 C.mas so that you all meet up, exchange news, gifts etc. and then perhaps your Mum stays/goes away  with you?  Her Gift perhaps, even a joint birthday/Easter/Ch.mas idea?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »

I found the run up to Christmas exhausting with trying to sort out the presents, food, getting bedrooms ready for family and decorating the tree/house as well as working. I only have to cope with nine of us though. One son has been here since 17th December and the other two stayed over for a few nights. They're back again on Saturday for pre New Year. I do love having them here but this year does feel more tiring. Must be my advancing age (almost 65) 😃

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »

I've been relaxing the last 2 days, as I've been exhausted. Not helped by driving 2 hours on Boxing Day, when I need new glasses. I now have a permanent headache and tired eyes. I was aware that I probably needed new glasses and was going to have them tested in the new year. But now it's become urgent. The opticians haven't been open this week, but I managed to get an appointment online for tomorrow. However I go away on the 8th so it's unlikely glasses will be ready before then. So little computer work, tv, driving and reading!  :( Good news is that I have a voucher for 25% off if I buy glasses before the end of the year.  :)

Annika

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 12:50:59 AM »

Have to say I agree it really is exhausting the never ending cooking,family staying over etc., although it was a lovely Christmas seeing all my adult children in one room getting along well. Still its nice to get back to a routine too and then there's all the after Christmas sales which are fun.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »

So why do it all?

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 11:21:31 PM »

I do it because I love them coming and staying over and I just love all of the sparkly part of Christmas.  Christmas Eve as I snuggle down to try to sleep it's a great feeling knowing that for at least one night in the year all of my son's are back home ;D

Taz x

bramble

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »

I had Christmas on my own and haven't seen anyone for over a week. I also have a virus which has made me so tired and listless. However I did cook a proper Christmas dinner just to keep my standards up! New Year will be the same but with possibly a home made steak pie instead of chicken with all the trimmings. Quite content with my own company and don't feel as though I have missed out at all.
Bramble

Kb21

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »

I hear you bramble... Got home on the 27th and neither me or the kids have wanted social interaction since. I've got to say I've had a few really relaxing days. No work, no where to be at a certain time, no clubs.... I've allowed myself to slob out which is really rare. Note to self... Do this more often!!!

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »

Agree with the exhaustion completely.  Also understand why we do it, love for our family, children and grandchildren BUT I must admit I am feeling the strain.  Now the big clean up begins, decorations starting to come down, dust everywhere.  Plus it's been so damp and mild here in wales anyway, all the paths are green and slippery. Just trying to give my cat an antibiotic, another story, and I've slipped and banged my head.
Hubby is having a relaxing swim as he has a little cold so needs to chill out. 😡😡😡

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »

relaxing and swim don't go tother in this house - unless it's skinny dipping  ;)

Maybe cook the meat on C.mas Day and enjoy it with veg. as a couple groundhog; then get everyone to bring a cold dish on Boxing Day? to go with the meat left over?  i.e. packets of crisps, garlic bread, salad mixes ......... but not rice  ;)

I don't know if people enjoyed meeting up when I was a child in the 1950s/60s  :-\ but it was expected.  14 all told.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »

They do it differently over there  ::).  I think too that many of us are spread far and wide which adds to the stress levels.  Years ago when it was 'coronation street'-type living family were closer ..............
Pages: [1] 2