Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: An update on abnormal bleeding from earlier post & some questions.  (Read 1176 times)

Dandelion

Hi Ladies, hope you all had a nice christmas.
This is an update from this thread https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41936.msg663806.html#msg663806
On the morning of my GP appointment of the 14th December, I started bleeding heavier.
This stopped on the 22nd, but only because I accdidntally took an extra utrogestan and this last week, have been going to bed early so, my stomach has not been empty when I take my utro.
I went to see the Gynaecologist today, thankfully he was a nice man who read the long note I gave him, as it contained info about cross tolerance between utrogestan and diazepam and complications if I were to go back to sequential.

He did an ultrasound and found my womb to be 5mm thick, I think it thinned due to the heavy bleeding I had been getting since the 14th.
He coaxed me into having an endometrial biopsy, but my cervix was stenosed, he said meaning it wouldn't open, and he ordered an urgent hysteroscopy under general anaesthetic as I put that request on my notes, having read so many horror stories about ladies bad hysteroscopy experiences while awake.
He said I needed bloods taken but i didn't realise he meant I had to go to the blood taking room in the hospital that day until I got home, which is about 12 miles from hospital, had to get a friend to drive me there and back.
I have an appointment for full bloods to be taken on 8th Jan, and rang the hospital gynae who put me through to the consultant's secretary who said she thought 8th jan might be too late, and promised to ask the consultant 2 things which I thought of after I had got home.
1)How could he tell i was still in peri menopause, as that is what he said?
2)Would my hysteroscopy have to be postponed because I did not get my bloods checked while in the hospital today?

She said she did not know when she would be able to find out and get back to me, and as its gone 5 I doubt she will get back to me today.

I hope the op doesn't have to be postponed because I've started bleeding red and heavier again, but that might just be because the consultant warned me that inserting the equipment could make me bleed, but i'm puzzled about this as he didn't stimulate my womb, and the ultrasound was only vaginal, so dunno why the bleeding has started again as he could not get into my jammed shut cervix.
I don't know why bloods are needed, I just don't want my op cancelled.
He said cancer would have a much thicker womb lining, but I said that as I'd bled heavily for 8 days, that's maybe why it's thinned.
I hope the secretary gets back to me tomorrow because I want the cancer worry out of my mind.
He recommneds I stay on sequential hrt but I told him I went intolerably bonkers on the non utrogestan days and couldn't go through that again.
I've been corresponding with Dr Currie, who has been a diamond.

Dandelion

further update re dates
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 10:19:44 PM »

Hi Ladies, hope you all had a nice christmas.
This is an update from this thread https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41936.msg663806.html#msg663806
On the morning of my GP appointment of the 14th December, I started bleeding heavier.
This stopped on the 22nd, but only because I accdidntally took an extra utrogestan and this last week, have been going to bed early so, my stomach has not been empty when I take my utro.
I went to see the Gynaecologist today, thankfully he was a nice man who read the long note I gave him, as it contained info about cross tolerance between utrogestan and diazepam and complications if I were to go back to sequential.

He did an ultrasound and found my womb to be 5mm thick, I think it thinned due to the heavy bleeding I had been getting since the 14th.
He coaxed me into having an endometrial biopsy, but my cervix was stenosed, he said meaning it wouldn't open, and he ordered an urgent hysteroscopy under general anaesthetic as I put that request on my notes, having read so many horror stories about ladies bad hysteroscopy experiences while awake.
He said I needed bloods taken but i didn't realise he meant I had to go to the blood taking room in the hospital that day until I got home, which is about 12 miles from hospital, had to get a friend to drive me there and back.
I have an appointment for full bloods to be taken on 8th Jan, and rang the hospital gynae who put me through to the consultant's secretary who said she thought 8th jan might be too late, and promised to ask the consultant 2 things which I thought of after I had got home.
1)How could he tell i was still in peri menopause, as that is what he said?
2)Would my hysteroscopy have to be postponed because I did not get my bloods checked while in the hospital today?

She said she did not know when she would be able to find out and get back to me, and as its gone 5 I doubt she will get back to me today.

I hope the op doesn't have to be postponed because I've started bleeding red and heavier again, but that might just be because the consultant warned me that inserting the equipment could make me bleed, but i'm puzzled about this as he didn't stimulate my womb, and the ultrasound was only vaginal, so dunno why the bleeding has started again as he could not get into my jammed shut cervix.
I don't know why bloods are needed, I just don't want my op cancelled.
He said cancer would have a much thicker womb lining, but I said that as I'd bled heavily for 8 days, that's maybe why it's thinned.
I hope the secretary gets back to me tomorrow because I want the cancer worry out of my mind.
He recommneds I stay on sequential hrt but I told him I went intolerably bonkers on the non utrogestan days and couldn't go through that again.
I've been corresponding with Dr Currie, who has been a diamond.
Hello again Ladies
I got a call this morning, on 11th Jan I have to go back to hospital for a pre assessment and bloods by a nurse, and my hysteroscopy is scheduled for 18th January.
I will have to make my own way on 11th Jan but on 18th Jan I will have a friend take me.
I am pleased that a lot of ladies have read my post, I know the questions are tough though.

Hurdity

Re: An update on abnormal bleeding from earlier post & some questions.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 05:34:57 PM »

Thanks for the update Dandelion. I hope you have now heard back abpout the blood tests and are somewhat reassured while awaiting the hysteroscopy. Interetsing that the doc said you were still peri-menopausal (I can't remember how old you are now?) - but that of course would explain your bleeding. I would say it is reassuring that your lining is that thin but of course only your investigations can confirm that. Have you thought of having as Mirena coil inserted at the time of your hysteroscopy ( I was offered this when I had my almost painless hysterosocopy without any anaesthetic - just painkiller tablets)? This would stop any random bleeding and then you wouldn't worry so much. Obviously whether one would fit might depend on the issues with your cervix but might be worth asking about.

I hope you are feeling better and a bit less stressed now the main Christmas period (!) has passed.

Take care.

Hurdity x