Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Open Prescribing . net  (Read 1865 times)

dahliagirl

Open Prescribing . net
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »

https://openprescribing.net/

This is being promoted by Ben Goldacre.

You can look at prescribing data for the whole country, your CCG or your practice.

You can look at the prescribing data for your own HRT tablets - it has been interesting.  My small surgery prescribes loads of vagifem compared to my much larger old one.  (This may be because there are a lot of over sixties here who are probably of the age to miss out on full HRT due to the Millenium/million women studies interpretations?  Will need to find data for that now  ;D).  My Femoston 2/10 seems a little unusual. 

Elleste duet is the most commonly prescribed HRT so might be worth looking for that if you are changing surgery - I was wondering if you could use it to find a more experienced surgery if you are having problems  ???

Katejo

Re: Open Prescribing . net
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »

https://openprescribing.net/

This is being promoted by Ben Goldacre.

You can look at prescribing data for the whole country, your CCG or your practice.

You can look at the prescribing data for your own HRT tablets - it has been interesting.  My small surgery prescribes loads of vagifem compared to my much larger old one.  (This may be because there are a lot of over sixties here who are probably of the age to miss out on full HRT due to the Millenium/million women studies interpretations?  Will need to find data for that now  ;D).  My Femoston 2/10 seems a little unusual. 

Elleste duet is the most commonly prescribed HRT so might be worth looking for that if you are changing surgery - I was wondering if you could use it to find a more experienced surgery if you are having problems  ???
Thanks. Will look at it later. Problem with changing surgeries could be that they have catchment areas. Mine does. The local surgeries with positive feedback aren't close.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 11:48:43 AM »

My local surgeries seem to have catchments randomly.  My previous one did - they dumped me with just 31 days notice, having moved their catchment at some point in the previous 27years  ::) .  Apparently that is not supposed to happen, but they seem to do it quite often.  There is a large one that I have my eye on that does not seem to do that.

Maybe if you can work out how much they prescribe, it will be an indicator of whether you need to push for a referral?

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 12:23:54 PM »

My local surgeries seem to have catchments randomly.  My previous one did - they dumped me with just 31 days notice, having moved their catchment at some point in the previous 27years  ::) .  Apparently that is not supposed to happen, but they seem to do it quite often.  There is a large one that I have my eye on that does not seem to do that.

Maybe if you can work out how much they prescribe, it will be an indicator of whether you need to push for a referral?
I think mine only has a specific list of accepted roads. I have just had a quick look on the site for my CCG. Only a third of practices prescribed any vagifem during October 2018.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »

We have a town Practice and a Satellite surgery.  I like Ben, he has time to do what I would never have the energy to do  ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 03:30:02 PM »

My old practice grew and opened a second centre on the opposite side of town, thus covering the whole town where there are loads of practices many within walking distance.  Then they cut the area covered on this side, out of town, so that us on the edge now have fewer and smaller practices to choose from (not sure if they all have catchments too).

Ben is interesting - he does 'Bad Science'.  He seems to work a lot with Margaret McCartney who is on Inside Health on R4.

Ladybt28

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »

and as per flaming usual its England only... oh well I don't have much of a problem with our docs anyway.  It is a big building with 5 floor of practices and in our practice we have 6 GP's to choose from.  Slightly unusual set up I know but when is anything here in Northern Ireland straight forward.  I'm disappointed...that is the kind of stuff I like to know  :(

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »

That is disappointing.  It is probably the way the data is produced that they used to - for a 'national' health service, it is pretty much not national for many things - you would think the different areas could put the same data out...……………………..