Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Guardian article - UTI often missed by test - anyone with VA experienced this  (Read 11634 times)

Katejo

Earlier this week I began with an 'attack' of atrophy: heavy bladder region, feeling nauseated, shivery when I peed, need to pee more often and that family feeling of needing treatment  :-\.  So mid-afternoon I put Ovestin up there and another load at 10.30 after my bath.  Added to that Nerofen every 3 hours settled the symptoms.

To clarify - VA symptoms do not mimic UTIs in their systemic effect so if you are getting bladder and urethral symptoms, urgency etc, but also feeling shivery and nauseous - then this cannot be due to atrophy but is characterisitc of an infection. Of course at this time of year one could be getting VA coming and going + a bug unrelated to the VA/UTI making you feel shivery and nauseous.

Also to reiterate that vaginal creams should not be used as ointments as and when - if the regime you are using eg twice weekly maintenance dose - is not sufficient and is not dealing with the VA then an increase to 3 x per week should help. In between doses I presume women use the various moisturisers and remedies as recommended by Maryjane and Dancinggirl?

Hurdity x
Using Estriol as and when was my mistake when I first tried it. The GP have an inadequate explanation of its purpose and didn't mention the term VA at all as far as I remember). i suspect that the cystitis which i had a week ago was a genuine infection but that I had it together with VA symptoms. Both seem to have cleared up/improved now though i haven't quite completed the AB course yet.

suzysunday

Hi Katejo what do you mean using estriol as and when is a mistake, and previous comment about using it as an ointment.  I thought it was OK to use externally .  Also Katejo like you I had genuine cystisis that then cleared and dragged on and off with uti symptoms for weeks.   Just about getting  there.  Also please any advice I have been using ovestin alternative nights to combat these week feelings , although  supposedly should be on only 2 times a week,  and  the other  nights using non hormonal Yes .  Is this OK,  it won't  impede the effectiveness of the ovestin is what I am concerned about. Gp no help and need to get on top of this. Sick of feeling like a wee!

Katejo

Hi Katejo what do you mean using estriol as and when is a mistake, and previous comment about using it as an ointment.  I thought it was OK to use externally .  Also Katejo like you I had genuine cystisis that then cleared and dragged on and off with uti symptoms for weeks.   Just about getting  there.  Also please any advice I have been using ovestin alternative nights to combat these week feelings , although  supposedly should be on only 2 times a week,  and  the other  nights using non hormonal Yes .  Is this OK,  it won't  impede the effectiveness of the ovestin is what I am concerned about. Gp no help and need to get on top of this. Sick of feeling like a wee!
Hi Suzysunday  I was referring to the use of Estriol 'as and when' instead of continuously. I tended to only use it when i suspected a UTI to be developing. I have never used it externally. Now I have switched to Vagifem. I can't advise on Ovestin. i haven't tried it but others have said that it is ok to use it daily.
My cystitis happened in September and then returned in Oct, November and last week. In oct/Nov it appeared to be sorted by bicarb of soda in water but perhaps it was just suppressed. When it returned last week, i decided to take an emergency course of Trimethroprim which I had. That seems to have worked. I hope that your cystitis symptoms clear up. Perhaps you do need an AB?

Kathleen

Hello ladies.

I apologise if this post is irrelevant but here goes.

For years my  MIL was plagued by UTIs  and  treated by rounds of anti biotics. After a few episodes of frequent urination she was found to have type 2 diabetes. Apparently glucose in the urine of uncontrolled diabetes results in altered bacteria in the bladder. I'm not saying any of you ladies have diabetes but it may be worth ruling out. Also I have read that diet can effect both bladder and vaginal bacteria so that may be worth researching as well.

I hope you don't mind me chiming in ladies but I saw my MIL suffer a lot before her doctor thought to investigate  why she was getting so many UTIs in the first place.

Take care everyone.

K.

suzysunday

Thanks Katejo,  I too have an emergency course of trimethoprim.  I was given nitrofurantoin which is horrible and then trimethoprim,  though later samples came back negative.

Katejo

Thanks Katejo,  I too have an emergency course of trimethoprim.  I was given nitrofurantoin which is horrible and then trimethoprim,  though later samples came back negative.
Yes nitrofurantoin  makes me feel pretty ill too. Trimethroprim has fewest side effects and usually works but, back in early september, it didn't do the job. A urine test then said that my bacteria were resistant to it.  i noticed this morning that the hospital had supplied me with a double prescription of trimethoprim. That means that i do have a spare one to put aside. I hope i won't need it.

suzysunday

Yes hope you don't need it. Bit scary that the bacteria is resistant cos trimethoprim is ok to take.

EleanorB

So angry, just needing to vent. I saw a doctor yesterday - she was young and didn't exactly inspire confidence. I told her I have had weeks of needing the toilet all the time and that I didn't believe the test which said negative for uni was necessarily correct. I mentioned the Guardian article I read saying that the regular urine test is a bit rubbish. She was having none of it - wants me to wait for my appointment with urogynae, which being the NHS could be months. The vagifem which I have been using for at least 4 months isn't touching this. This came swiftly on after penetration and I'm pretty damn sure it's an infection. I get the feeling that because I'm menopausal and have mentioned vaginal dryness (which in my case is very mild)  they now won't even consider the possibility of an infection they aren't catching. I was told to bring in a sample today and was told a locum would phone me this afternoon. She did and said I could put my mind at rest as the dipstick was fine and she would send it off but everything seemed ok. I said this didn't put my mind at rest at all, that what was the harm in trying one course of antibiotics in case it worked, rather than being in a desperate state for weeks. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work but at least I'd know.  I was really grumpy with her,  which I am now concerned about as it just adds to the hysterical menopausal woman image which I think a lot of doctors carry in their heads. The irony of course is that their behaviour, after weeks of suffering eventually leads to losing it with them. I just couldn't bear having some 5 year old doctor telling me I shouldn't be concerned. She should try not being concerned if she needed to pee every twenty minutes. I'm having fantasies of breaking in to a pharmacy.

To add insult to injury just spoke to my mother after writing that,  who said she has had this problem all her life and just takes trimethiprone (sp?)and it goes. Her GP said it was worth treating as things don't always show up and it might help!!!! She has it on repeat prescription.

There, said I needed to rant :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:46:56 PM by EleanorB »

suzysunday

It's all really frustrating cos those wee feelings really drive you mad! You just can't get on with your life. If it was after sex then it probably is an infection, though of course I'm no expert.  I had the same in September and it really dragged on, though I was given antibiotics.  I know how stressful it is, taking samples, waiting, it goes on and on and all the time you are peeing over and over.  I am so conscious of my bladder now, I wonder what a normal wee is and what isn't.
Can you get some trimethoprim off your mother? You can buy it online, but not such a good time of year for post. I really feel for you cos it is such a depressing condition.  Your gp sounds very uncaring. Hope you get something sorted.

Katejo

So angry, just needing to vent. I saw a doctor yesterday - she was young and didn't exactly inspire confidence. I told her I have had weeks of needing the toilet all the time and that I didn't believe the test which said negative for uni was necessarily correct. I mentioned the Guardian article I read saying that the regular urine test is a bit rubbish. She was having none of it - wants me to wait for my appointment with urogynae, which being the NHS could be months. The vagifem which I have been using for at least 4 months isn't touching this. This came swiftly on after penetration and I'm pretty damn sure it's an infection. I get the feeling that because I'm menopausal and have mentioned vaginal dryness (which in my case is very mild)  they now won't even consider the possibility of an infection they aren't catching. I was told to bring in a sample today and was told a locum would phone me this afternoon. She did and said I could put my mind at rest as the dipstick was fine and she would send it off but everything seemed ok. I said this didn't put my mind at rest at all, that what was the harm in trying one course of antibiotics in case it worked, rather than being in a desperate state for weeks. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work but at least I'd know.  I was really grumpy with her,  which I am now concerned about as it just adds to the hysterical menopausal woman image which I think a lot of doctors carry in their heads. The irony of course is that their behaviour, after weeks of suffering eventually leads to losing it with them. I just couldn't bear having some 5 year old doctor telling me I shouldn't be concerned. She should try not being concerned if she needed to pee every twenty minutes. I'm having fantasies of breaking in to a pharmacy.

To add insult to injury just spoke to my mother after writing that,  who said she has had this problem all her life and just takes trimethiprone (sp?)and it goes. Her GP said it was worth treating as things don't always show up and it might help!!!! She has it on repeat prescription.

There, said I needed to rant :)
That would infuriate me too, particularly given that the holiday is coming and you are suffering. She should let you have a Trimethroprim course to cover you for the Xmas break. the one which I mentioned above did work.

EleanorB

Hi Suzy and Katejo,

I spoke to my mother after writing this and she suggested sending me some trimethroprim, so I said yes. She's put it in the post today. Amazed that you said you can get it on the internet! Good to know. I'd much rather do it with a doctor's say so. I have borderline kidney issues that show up on blood tests. It never causes me any problems, they just test my blood once a year to check it's still borderline and hasn't got worse.  Latest news was all is fine. Also, the doctor did mention I was given trimethroprim in 2016, and my kidneys were exactly the same then, and I was given the dreadful nitrofurantoin (sp?) earlier this year, so I know it will  be ok. I just hate having to go rogue with taking drugs.

My gut feeling is that the vagifem is helping to soothe things a little if I use it every day because my bladder probably does need oestrogen, but I now think it won't do the job because this infection needs to be got rid of first. 

I have so had it with GP's.

suzysunday

Yes that nitrofurantoin is evil, it made me feel awful. So glad your mum is sending you trimethoprim.  Buying on line is OK if all else fails, and desperate.  Had a quick look at one in Oxford where you have on line consultation and £20 for 6 tablets.  Hopefully you don't need to do that. Hope the trimethoprim arrives promptly and gives you some relief from everlasting weeing!

Katymac

I despite when I get that 'feelings' I can't have trimethoprim or nitrofuratin as I'm allergic

Vagifem is sort of working (I think) every other day is too much every third day too little

it falls out between 6 and 8 hrs after application i i am now considering seeing if i can break it in half and using every other day....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]