Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Feeling MEH! and I don't know what to do  (Read 1792 times)

JoanneP

Feeling MEH! and I don't know what to do
« on: January 21, 2019, 02:38:07 PM »

:(
Hi All,

I am sure I am in the same boat as everyone else on here, but............get ready for it, because I think everything I am feeling is going to flood out!

14 Years ago (at the age of 32) I had a complete hysterectomy.  I had tried for children, couldn't suffer the pain any more and had an amazing Gyn. Consultant who agreed that I couldn't go on like that!  So I had the op.  I went straight on HRT, and have been a great advocate of it since.

Every time I heard a friend or acquaintance moan about menopause symptoms, I would say, get to the Drs and if you can get on the HRT!  Its great, theres no need to suffer, I wouldn't know what to do without it, blah blah!

I carried on and everything has been fine.

I must say at this point that I live in Spain and  you buy your HRT over the counter, so over the years I have changed from Equin to Meriestra to Progynova (not sure if they are called the same thing in the UK)!

Fast forward to the beginning of Nov. 2018, my mum (also in Spain and also been taking HRT for years, due to a total hysterectomy), had a stroke.  It was devastating for all of us.  Luckily she has come through it but sadly it has exacerbated the dementia symptoms that she has been showing for about 12 months.

Sorry, I have gone off track here!!!

So, one of the consultants asked us what her daily medication was and I said HRT.  He said that she shouldn't still be on it and that it was probably the cause of the stroke and that she had to come straight off.

Well it obviously put a firework up me too.....so over about two weeks I weaned myself off the HRT and started taking Menopace Plus.

Night Sweats - Yes, frustrated - Yes, achy - yes, night sweats - yes, tearful - yes, night sweats - YES.

So the menopace hasn't worked!  My husband is being very supportive but yesterday he said a very telling thing - "have you thought about going back on the HRT?"  ;D Well that says it all really!

Now, one of my other problems(ish) is, my friends are either post menopause or late 30's early 40's and yet to go through it.  Or just don't talk about it!

I don't know where to go from here!?  Do I stick with the Menopace and sod the night sweats, frustration, aching and tears.  Or do I go back on the HRT?  And if so then for how long?

To the women who read all of this, I thank you for sticking with me.  It was quite therapeutic  just getting it all out!  For anyone that has any suggestions -  thank you, thank you, thank you,

Jxxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling MEH! and I don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »

You went into panic then?  The Consultant has no real knowledge as to if HRT would have caused a stroke.  I expect someone will be along.  In the mean time put your product into the search box on here and see what pops up.  Do you know have a local Pharmacist you could discuss this with?  Also the product should have information leaflet in the box ........

Browse round.  Make notes.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »

Hello JoanneP and welcome to the forum.

There are many knowledgeable and experiencedl adies here who can advise you but I wanted to welcome you and reassure you that you've come to the right place for help and support.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's stroke but there are many female doctors who use HRT which makes me think it is safer than was previously thought.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

JoanneP

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »

Thank you! Both! I am a sort of pick yourself up and brush yourself down kinda girl most of the time.  Just sometimes, everything gets a bit much.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 03:42:58 PM »

It does.  When 1 can't see a way through and when physical symptoms make us feel ill, we kind of run into a brick wall.

JoanneP

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »

Just a quick update, still feeling MEH but thats mainly due to my mum having a bad day!  But on the plus side, it has been nearly 24 hours since my last hot flush!!!  I even slept through the night!  That sort of balances up the MEH feeling! Hope you are all having a good day  ;)  Also, does that mean the Menopace Plus is finally working?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 05:10:43 PM »

Just to put my two pence in,
Hi JoanneP,
My MIL was on hrt tablets for about 18/20 years, and she's had two stokes, and not once did anyone say it was due to hrt! Even the stroke doctor who she still sees every 6months, hasn't ever mentioned that they were due to taking hrt......more to do with the booze she/they used to drink earlier on in her life.....and the smoking!
She has however, now been took of it, because her last stroke caused some damage to the brain stem, which made her pass out quite a lot, and she had to be given drugs for that.
She still has the very occasional hot flush, mainly in bed at night, but nothing much....
So, I think, quality of life comes first, if you can get through the meno without hrt, then all said and good, but if you're struggling, and can't face the day because of symptoms then hrt it is.........she 71 now. Xx

JoanneP

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:28 AM »

Thanks jillydoll, its amazing isn't it how drs learn from the same books and yet come up with different reasons.  Within the first few days of her being in hospital we had three different diagnosis!  It doesn't help that she has the first signs of dementia! 

Well, I had another flush free night so i have just ordered some more menopace plus, I am going to see how i get on before I revert back to the HRT.  I have noticed that my skin is very dry, but just keep slapping on the day cream!

Jxxx

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »

Hi Joanne,just wanted to welcome you,sorry about your mum,that must be so difficult.my friend has been on hrt since the age of 36 and is now 55 and she has no intention of coming off it,she tried for a week but couldn't cope with the night sweats,her dr assured her it was ok.
I'm not on hrt myself and just battle through it all but then I don't have it as bad as some ladies on here. I have air con on all night (even in winter) & a fan on full blast by my bed,a few penguins and a polar bear live there too 😆
Anyway good luck with the menopace,keep us informed how you're getting on