Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Guardian article - UTI often missed by test - anyone with VA experienced this  (Read 11626 times)

Joaniepat

Yes, I read that too. Apparently the bladder wall is covered in creases and crevices where the bugs hide. Also, and I don't know how true this is, that cranberry juice helps to clean up the crevice bugs, even though it not really an infection killer.
The NHS web advice on cystitis has recently been updated. It now says something like "It has previously been thought that cranberry juice might help but evidence no longer appears to support this".
What they have had some success with is D-Mannose, which helps to prevent E. coli bacteria adhering to the bladder wall. I spoke to a locum GP about this during a recent bout of cystitis. He had worked with a gynaecologist who had trialled it on women who had recurrent cystitis, and it seems to work. As you will probably know, it only works on E. coli, and is for preventative purposes only, not cure.

If anyone is interested, the dosage is 2 grams (about a level teaspoon) of D-Mannose powder dissolved in half a glass of water. Do not drink anything else for about an hour afterwards, as this dilutes the D-Mannose. It's best taken in the evening.

JP x

suzysunday

I've heard about d mannose.  When is the best time to take it if it's preventative? Before sex? Any thoughts on the best type to take as there are so many brands? Is powder better than tablets?

Joaniepat

I think it's easiest to take in the evening so that you don't drink too much afterwards. Don't know if before or after sex matters, sorry. Powder is way cheaper than capsules. All the capsules I looked at, you would need to take 4 at once to get the correct dose and it would take me a lot of water to get those down! It's cheapest to buy a large bag of powder, so perhaps have a look on Amazon. Mine is Nu U brand, 150g bag.

JP x

suzysunday

Is it something you would take everyday and do you get any side effects? 

Joaniepat

I think it should be every evening. I've never had any side effects, and on the back of my packet it says side effects are rare.

JP x

suzysunday

So it's ok to take long term?

suzysunday

Found it on Amazon. Think I'll give it a  try.

Joaniepat

Good luck, hope it helps.
JP x

suzysunday

How can I tell if wanting to wee a lot is, without pain, is due to VA or anxiety? I keep getting anxiety shooting through me for no apparent reason and wanting to wee.  What with VA and uti symptoms and anxiety I don't know what's what anymore.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

When I'm coming out of an anxiety attack I wee: a lot: every 10 mins. copious quantities.

Maybe stop thinking what it might be and accept that it is what it is today?  Anxiety may certainly increase urination.  Nurofen settles symptoms for me.

suzysunday

Thanks. Glad to know others feel like this . I'm just constantly jumping from one thing to another, should I use ovestin every other night or is it anxiety. I am so fed up of weeing!

CLKD

Keep well hydrated too.  The kidneys will over-work if they are not kept working ;-).

Maybe accept?

suzysunday

Yes I do drink plenty. I know what you mean by accept. I'm constantly looking for something to make me feel "well" again permanently,when I know that won't happen.  I was thinking of having a glass of red wine tonight, the first alcohol in weeks and weeks since cystitis and on off uti symptoms. Now I not sure. Damn my indecision!

CLKD

I don't drink.  I do know that some ladies have found that alcohol makes symptoms worse.

Katejo

How can I tell if wanting to wee a lot is, without pain, is due to VA or anxiety? I keep getting anxiety shooting through me for no apparent reason and wanting to wee.  What with VA and uti symptoms and anxiety I don't know what's what anymore.
I wee more frequently when anxious but without the discomfort and constant feeling of needing the loo/no relief after going to the loo.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5