Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ovestin alternate nights?  (Read 3470 times)

suzysunday

Ovestin alternate nights?
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:34:36 PM »

After 6 weeks of using ovestin after 3months off hrt after post meno bleeding, I feel like I still need to use it alternate nights for a while longer.  I used it every night for 2 weeks initially. I'm not using any other hrt and using non hormonal gel in between.  After cystitis over 2 months ago followed by weeks of needing to wee a lot and feeling really run down, I don't feel ready to drop the dosage yet for atrophy.  Alternate nights is ok at the moment. Any advice please?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ovestin alternate nights?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »

If it works for you, continue.  Some ladies find that they require treatment nightly.  Do you use any other moisturisers, i.e. 'sylc' or 'yes'?  Maybe do a search here and see what others find of use?  The trick is to keep the vagina plumped up and supple  ;)

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »

Agree with CLKD, if it works don't fix it. Many folk need to use their preferred product (Ovestin or Vagifem) every night, with some using Vagifem internally plus Ovestin externally. It is a tiny dose of oestrogen whichever you use, and won't be absorbed systemically. Pleased to hear it is working for you.
JP x

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:02:45 PM »

Yes I use other moisturisers in between. I tried dropping the dose but really noticed it.  My gp said to do the twice weekly a few weeks ago, but as I am getting enough on prescription for every other night I and it's taken me weeks to feel anywhere near normal, I wanted to keep the dose up for a while.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:32:30 AM »

Do you keep a diary so that you can chart symptoms etc.? 

Give it a try, then you have something to tell your GP - is your prescription on repeat?

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:47:43 AM »

Yes I do keep a diary.  I am on 2 tubes a month which is just enough for alternate nights, but the gp did suggest when I have my review next April it may go down to one tube a month which is not enough.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »

Don't wait until April.  Have a chat with the Practice Nurse maybe so that there isn't a conflict.  Then let us know.

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »

Well I can have 2 tubes a month till April and the GP may carry on with that after the April review if I put my case. But it's a good idea to talk to the nurse in the  meantime.  Thanks.

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »

I keep working myself into major anxiety after pmb a few months ago, coming off tibolone and now using just ovestin for atrophy. I keep seeing about local cream, recommendations for having a break from it, and my last hospital visit the gynaecologist suggested the same.  But no one suggested a break when I was on tibolone for 18 months.   I know the atrophy will worsen if I come off it, as it did when I had no hrt for 3 months and had UTI symptoms for ages and I don't want that again.  But then I worry that the ovestin will do harm in the long term.  They seem to say the risks are the same for local hrt as systemic but i've.  I just can't settle after the last few months and the biopsy and bleeding even though i' very been discharged.    Any little thing I feel I dwell on it and worry.  Some days are worse than others,  but once I get some thought I start looking it up things and go round in circles.

suzysunday

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »

Update on using ovestin and persistent uti symptoms.  Saw my gp this week, face to face,  a major achievement to a phone call.  She was helpful and said to use ovestin every day till symptoms subside and alternate after and re assured me of its safety and gave me extra supplies.   I explained to her how using dilators aggravates symptoms and that I daren't have sex for the  same reason.  She encouraged me to do both, and I know this is the advice for VA.  But when it feels settled down there, I am reluctant to trigger those horrible feelings again by using a dilator,  let alone sex. Any advice as I feel a bit stuck. My lovely partner suggested not doing dilator or sex until I feel more confident.  I am concerned that the longer I leave it, the less inclined I will be to do anything down there!
  Any help gratefully received!

Sooze

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »

Suzysunday,
I'd be tempted to drop the non hormonal gel and go full out on the Ovestin. I guess you're using the applicator for dosing?  To improve the condition and elasticity of the vaginal opening and skin outside I'd recommend massaging a bit it in there daily.  For sex to be comfortable it's the vaginal opening and first 1/3rd of the vagina that need the help. If you're inserting the dose high up it may not be getting to where it's needed.
HTH.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 02:30:35 PM »

There are other ways than penetration  ;)

suzysunday

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 03:59:15 PM »

Yes I am now using ovestin every night and for a while.  When I use a dilator it does feel comfortable and well lubricated and not at all sore.  My gp said there is a difference between that and the vaginal walls being plumped up.  I  thought if it didn't feel sore it should be fine,  but then I get niggling feelings the next day.  I know there are other things besides penetrative sex, but I do want to get back there one day!   I know I still have some libido.  Maybe I need to be more patient.  At least my gp has given me loads of Ovestin.

suzysunday

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »

Thanks so much birds.  It's good to know you are using it every day for a few months. I know what you mean about the health anxiety and scared to have sex.  I think I thought I would be OK sooner as I was OK before I came off the hrt, because of bleeding.   I suppose 3 months off  hrt had more of an effect on the VA than I anticipated. 

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 10:44:41 AM »

Thanks. Having major anxiety days last few weeks so that I can barely function. Feel really bad today and so fed up.  Always been an anxious person but since biopsy etc it's off the scale.
Pages: [1] 2