Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cultural working background  (Read 1449 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Cultural working background
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »

I have read several books in recent months about the lace industry and it got me wondering: how many of us have a working background that we practice to this day?  I can think that people may continue with farming, nursing, teaching, Vet. Surgeon .......

Hand made lace working died out when machines were able to make lace quicker and more cheaply.  Many makers around the Olney and Stony Stratford areas were cottage industries, so Grannies, Mums, Aunties, children - worked long hours often in dark houses around the tables to produce beautiful handworked lace.  Only to find when they took it to the person who had ordered it, that they refused to pay full rate or to not buy it at all  :-\.

Watching Huw Edwards - coal mining.  Do any of you have a mining background?  Or slate production?  Anyone from The New Forest with a background of and there's a special word: which escapes me : where they have mining rights across the area.  Raising native ponies even, fishing?

Rambling - can you tell there's little to watch on TV  ;D

My background: farming, in service, painting/decorating, teaching - 1 of my cousins followed my Uncle, the rest of us branched out .  I wanted to be a Vet., but can't add up  ::).

jaypo

Re: Cultural working background
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »

My grandfather had a huge farm in Caithness,was probably the happiest time of my life,sheep,cattle & poultry,was never indoors. I too wanted to be a vet but was offered a job as a groom on a thoroughbred stud farm & as horses were my first love,that's what I did.not many people are lucky enough to have a job which is also their hobby 😊

Dorothy

Re: Cultural working background
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 11:16:08 PM »

Seafarers & in service on one side of the family - I love the sea but have never worked on/by it.  I have worked as a cleaner though!

On the other, a mix of railway folk, shepherds, farmhands, shop assistants and 'missioners' (non-ordained non-conformist 'pastors' who travelled to isolated communities to run holiday clubs/church services etc).  No railways on my CV but I'm a gardener who has also spent a while working on a farm and in  a shop.  I'm also now working part time for my church, mostly running family events and helping with children's clubs etc, so I guess I'm a mix of a lot of my ancestors' jobs!