Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oral vs. Transdermal Estradiol - is there a big difference is safety?  (Read 1421 times)

soniad

Hello everyone,

I'm on a high dose of transdermal estradiol and I don't feel I absorb it very well. Have tried patches and get similar absorption rate.

I'm thinking of trying the oral route but am concerned about increased risk of breast cancer/DVT with oral.

Is transdermal safer than oral, and if so, how much safer?

I really don't want to change over, but am concerned that I have to take very high doses of the transdermal to get benefits.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

thanks

Winterose

Re: Oral vs. Transdermal Estradiol - is there a big difference is safety?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »

There is a slight increase in gall bladder disease . I'm thinking of switching to Premarin as it has several
Estrogens in it as opposed to only 1 . One of them equilin has been associated in a reduced risk from Alzheimer's.you don't get that protection from oestrodial.  Read Dr Blumings book Estogen matters which exposes all the faulty #cience behind the WHI study on hormone therapy . It will make you a lot more confident about hrt.

soniad

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »

Thanks Winterose

Yes I've read everything about the WHI and subsequent literature as well.

It's a real shame we don't have any proper research on the use of bioidentical HRT.

Cheers

Sonia

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:24:39 PM »

There is plenty of research on bio-identcial HRT - ie estradiol and progesterone. Much of it is summaried in the various position statements and recommendations of the menopause societies.

There is the British Menopause Society - here is a list of the consenus statements (currently being updated too):
https://thebms.org.uk/publications/consensus-statements/ I am sure you will find research into body-identical HRT quoted.

Joint recommendations from the BMS and Women's Health Concern (2016):
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2053369116680501

North American Menopause Society position statement on HRT:
http://www.menopause.org/docs/default-source/2017/nams-2017-hormone-therapy-position-statement.pdf

As far as I understand the current evidence shows (and guidelines recommend) that transdermal oestrogen is overall safer for many health conditions than oral - but I haven't read that book, and would be interested in evidence to the contrary!

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

soniad

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 02:25:29 AM »

Thanks Hurdity