Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Stages of menopause  (Read 1094 times)

Jari

Stages of menopause
« on: November 30, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »

Hi all, just thought it could be interesting to get an idea of different symptoms through the stages of menopause. I am 14 months since last period and my hot flushes and night sweats started about 3 months into that. At around 9 months since last period, the night sweats became really bad ie every night, along with hot flushes every day. I went to my go as I was so sleep deprived and was finding it difficult to work. She refused to give me hrt due to a family history of breast cancer. I was so desperate with the symptoms that I paid to see a gynae. He prescribed me hrt which, after 3 months gave me terrible palpitations and breathing difficulty, not to mention a stone increase in weight. I came off it. A month off it now and hot flushes/night sweats are back, but they do seem less severe. I'm now trying a hormone balancing diet along with supplements that go with that. I think I should have a better idea of how that works after around 3 months of doing it properly.
Does anyone have positive experience with getting through the menopause the natural way? Also what are your experiences with hot flushes and night sweats? Do they reach a peak and then naturally decrease in severity? If so, what are your individual experiences with how long these last?

Annie0710

Re: Stages of menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:37:15 PM »

We are all different and just to show take my story, I had a hysterectomy when I was 32, within months I started severe night sweats as the blood supply was damaged to my ovaries, so gp put me on hrt, I've been on it now for 20 years.  But I still get the odd night sweat so I dread to think how severe they'd be without my 3 pumps of gel each morning

Palps are a meno symptom that come and go for me, they were worse when on a high dose patch so it may be worth considering the gel where you start on one pump and maybe increase by 1/2 each time to reach a level you're happy with ? X

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »

Hi again jari I'm not on hrt either,my choice but long history of breast cancer,partial hysterectomy 10 years ago,flushes started about 5 years ago but come and go as do most symptoms,worst is anxiety and depression,I'm 55 now,so not sure how long it's going to go on for me,like you said,it's so different for each and every one of us

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:44:30 PM »

Hi all, just thought it could be interesting to get an idea of different symptoms through the stages of menopause. I am 14 months since last period and my hot flushes and night sweats started about 3 months into that. At around 9 months since last period, the night sweats became really bad ie every night, along with hot flushes every day. I went to my go as I was so sleep deprived and was finding it difficult to work. She refused to give me hrt due to a family history of breast cancer. I was so desperate with the symptoms that I paid to see a gynae. He prescribed me hrt which, after 3 months gave me terrible palpitations and breathing difficulty, not to mention a stone increase in weight. I came off it. A month off it now and hot flushes/night sweats are back, but they do seem less severe. I'm now trying a hormone balancing diet along with supplements that go with that. I think I should have a better idea of how that works after around 3 months of doing it properly.
Does anyone have positive experience with getting through the menopause the natural way? Also what are your experiences with hot flushes and night sweats? Do they reach a peak and then naturally decrease in severity? If so, what are your individual experiences with how long these last?
Everyone is so different. I am 55 and my periods stopped about 5 years ago. I had virtually no problem with hot flushes or night sweats. Just mild flushes occasionally during peri. My symptoms have just been aching calves/soles of feet and recurrent UTI's/VA. Those started during peri.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »

Yes I agree, everyone's meno journey is different.
I'm 54 soon, and will be 4 years post meno, I started with sweats, then about 6 months later everything hit me. I actually thought I was going mad!. Thought I was going to die on numerous occasions. Horrendous experience. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
First started on hrt at 50. Had a number of problems, then settled on femoston conti and Sandrena gel.
It's certainly NOT perfect, but it keeps me sane most of the time.  :-\

I did try black cohosh, but did nothing. (Dr recommend it to me)
On the other hand, my sister in law got through her meno on wild yam?( I think it was that) and never looked back. But then, like I say, everyone's different.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:40:57 PM by jillydoll »

AG

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »

Hi

I am not post meno yet but likely in late peri and nearly 49. Had minor symptoms until this year when I got a barrage of symptoms at the same time when periods became really irregular (first 3 month gap at the beginning of this year), never had irregular periods like that before. Flushes became worse this summer, had another long gap of 4.5 months between periods with another one now of at least 40 days (and counting). For me the worst time was when there was a likely switch from high to low oestrogen earlier this year. I am hoping and also think now that (post meno) symptoms are easing a bit otherwise I'll give HRT a go next year. The main things that help me is exercise (quality of exercise suffered), taking some magnesium, reducing caffeine intake a lot as well as cutting back on refined sugar. Also take menopace and some soy milk but the thing most effective for me to manage symptoms to some extent is exercise and walking. All the best for you, Anna