Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How do I know if I should consider taking HRT?  (Read 795 times)

Sulfate

How do I know if I should consider taking HRT?
« on: November 29, 2018, 10:06:57 PM »

Hi everyone.  I have been having hot flushes for 3 years now :( and my last period was 18 months ago.
I take amitriptyline for interstitial cystic and to help me sleep. I often feel quite moody,some times very cheerful and other times really  can't be bothered with people. A low mood for no reason. Also aches in my arm,neck shoulders. Restless legs too.
I have completely lost my libido. So far I have tried alternatives to HRT black co-hosh, sage and now soy isoflavones.
I'm wonder if I'll feel better if I try HRT? No idea what type I would need. Any advice or thoughts will be gratefully received!

jaypo

Re: How do I know if I should consider taking HRT?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »

Hi sulfate, I don't take hrt & have tried many alternative therapies including the ones you mentioned,they didn't work for me,my flushes come and go of their own accord and I now just live with them.
Also lost my libido 😢 the only thing that really topples me is the anxiety which also comes and goes
There are many women on here that get on great with hrt but it's not for all,it really is different from woman to woman.
Make sure you're getting all the correct vitamins as as we go through the menopause we really do need that little bit extra
Wishing you well 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 07:00:55 PM »

:welcomemm:

As oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: inside and out: nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, vagina  :o for me it was insteps; as soon as I took off socks in the evening to get into the bath as well as waking in the early hours with one heel scratching the opp instep.

Also, low levels may cause muscles to become lax = aches and pains.  It ain't called the Change for nowt  :-\.

Browse round.  Make notes.  Maybe keep a mood/symptom/food diary to chart progress so that you can decide which symptom you would like to ease first?

Sulfate

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. I am seeing my GP on Friday so I really want to have a clear idea of what I want to do. I am a bit concerned about the side effects of HRT. Also is it just that I'm approaching 60 that causes tiredness and aches and pains and not the menopause!