Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Breakthrough with my perimenopause depression  (Read 1508 times)

Misstowers

Breakthrough with my perimenopause depression
« on: November 29, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »

Hi there, I just wanted to share my experience, as it may be useful for others in perimenopause having a rollercoaster ride. So this month has been really tough and the past week has been awful, I've never experienced depression - low mood, tearfulness and irritability yes, but not this  - until this week when the world seemed to close in on me, it's been really scary. I couldn't make it into work and have been in pjs in bed... felt so hopeless.

I've been reading about perimeno so much and also posted on here for advice and reading others' stories which has been so helpful, and the stuff I've read from medical and naturopath sites has been like a jigsaw puzzle trying to see how it would fit my personal situation with my hormones going crazy and sending me into free fall.

I've gone over my symptom diary and it occurred to me that maybe I was low on progesterone, not estrogen ( I know many women are intolerant of progesterone so this is not relevant for everyone), and I read a really interesting paper called Progesterone Therapy for Symptomatic Perimenopause, which convinced me that I needed more progesterone.

So I took a 100mg utrogeston tablet first thing this morning and by 1pm I felt like a different person like this fog had lifted from me, and I felt like myself again. I can't tell you how relieved I am. I'm going to continue to take it until around next weekend, a month after my last period, then see how things go, but I am 100% convinced that the progesterone is what I needed.

As I said this is not going to help most but hopefully it will help another perimenopauser unsure whether they have too little estrogen, too much estrogen or need testosterone... it can get so confusing... it might be progesterone you need... xxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Breakthrough with my perimenopause depression
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 06:09:19 PM »

Well done.  Let us know how you get on.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 06:42:04 PM »

Glad this worked for you! I hope it keeps on. There are some of us that do just need progesterone and I've read of women who got through menopause with nothing but progesterone. I hope to be one of those women but I think I'll be re-evaluating my approach every few years at the least.

LJB12

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »

This really resonates with me. I am convinced my Mirena has ran out and thus I am low on progesterone and I've been experiencing similar symptoms to you. I know when this happened previously I equally felt back to myself very quickly after it was replaced. I don't have ovaries though so no 'peri' thing for me to deal with. 
I totally get the sense of relief - I am hoping for the same next wednesday when I get my new Mirena fitted.

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:53:54 PM »

It's definitely worth a try to anyone struggling as it's easy to acquire and if it makes you feel worse you can just stop it.

The assumption that there's an oestrogen deficiency so early in perimenopause and post menopause should not be made, as progesterone reduces a lot earlier than oestrogen, particularly if having annovulatory cycles.

Misstowers

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:55:23 PM »

Yes for some reason dangermouse I wasn't aware of it, the strong message that seems to come from the medical profession and for example the programme on bbc the other day is that estrogen deficiency is the isssue - and is the cure all! but as you say we lose more progesterone than estrogen in peri. But I just thought maybe I was intolerant to prog or needed more estrogen!!! LBJ12 and bluebutterfly thanks for your comments they really helped me put the picture together x

Conolly

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:02:09 PM »

Hello Misstowers,

That's great, long may it continue. I have tried progesterone cream when in peri and I think it has helped a bit. Utrogestan was too strong for me, if only there were other doses available!

Conolly X

Charys

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »

Cool, that sounds like a real relief for you. Can I ask - was the medicine prescribed or were you able to buy it online or something? I've seen this medication sold online at places like superdrug, but they run you through a huge long set of questionnaires and its called 'period delay' stuff. Is that right?

I am honestly wondering if to get hold of some natural progesterone cream. I've read lots of stuff, postive and negative (and know its a highly debated topic on here), so interested that you said Conolly that you had some success with it.

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »

I don't need progesterone as I have no uterus but in my darkest days of this journey I tried the tablets to see how I'd feel  and I didn't have any nasty side effects either x

Conolly

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 10:59:23 PM »

Hello Charys,

It was prescribed by my GP, but I was living abroad, this was not under the NHS. I'm afraid I don't know anything about 'period delay'.

I understand that each woman has a very particular journey when it comes to hormones, oestrogen and progesterone constantly exchanging roles as devil or angel. Balance is the key, very hard to achieve with so many variables though.

I think Dangermouse has much more progesterone expertise than myself, hopefully she'll drop by to share her experience.

Conolly X

Misstowers

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »

Hi I was prescribed utrogeston by my consultant, and told to take 100mg tablet orally from 1st to 12th of the month, and sandrena estrogen gel everyday. I think I just needed to adjust the timings and dose to 200mg as I still have irregular periods so I'm going to use it after my best days (as I think these may be my ovulation days) if I feel a slump coming on - it's all trial and error and guess, but getting to the bottom of why I felt so depressed and fixing it has been a massive relief x

Perinowpost

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »

Long may it continue Misstowers. I always feel good for the first few days when I start the progesterone phase (Utrogestan) of my hrt, unfortunately for me it then builds up in my system pretty quickly and becomes too much and I feel terrible.  I am currently seeing an nhs gynaecologist to try and resolve this issue and he is talking about me trialling the skyla (the Mirena was too much for me). I will share once I know where I'm going with this.  Connolly is right it's all about finding balance x

Charys

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »

Thanks Conolly....for your reply. Things to think about. x

dangermouse

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »

In terms of the progesterone cream, I've used both USP creams online (Ona's Natural who do multiple strengths) and from a compounding pharmacy via private prescription. Both are good and I did find The Utrogeston (orally) too strong.