Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Purpura  (Read 4802 times)

pamb

Purpura
« on: November 29, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »

Hi Ladies

I posted a little while ago about HRT bringing me out in a rash.  The rash I was getting on my thighs - not on patch site - was a purpley red rash which was also quite blotchy.  I was on Evorel Sequi at the time and the rash didn't appear until 9 months later.  I went to the GP and asked to change to Evorel 50 with Provera progesterone as I thought it may be caused by the northeisterone.  So I tried this regime but rash didn't improve so thought I should try tablets.  Took Femoston 1/10 but no improvement in rash so stopped completely after 10 days of them.

I looked up side effects for Evorel and it said that Vascular Purpura was one of the side effects.  I googled it and it sounded as though this was the purple red rash that I have.  Went to GP and asked for blood tests as they say that purpura can be a sign of something else.  Got results back today and everything fine.

I mentioned to GP that I was disappointed as the HRT had really helped my menopause symptoms and she said that when my rash had disappeared I could maybe try again and see what happens.

Thing is in some literature they say that HRT, in particular oestrogen, can cause purpura so I would imagine that any form of HRT could bring it on again - not that it's showing any signs of disappearing any time soon, so how can she suggest that I try again?  Also she didn't say that it was definitely purpura, just agreed that it was probably a side effect of the patches.  Could it even be caused by the filler in the patch? Who knows!!

I've also got a ****ly rash on my chest and backs of my hands which are taking a while to settle. 

I was wondering if the reason I had the side effect (and purpura isn't a common one) is because the estrogen in the Evorel Sequi was too much for me in the beginning and if it would be worth trying maybe Sandrena on a low dose initially, although I would like to try Oestrogel, but I'd need to go to private clinic as my practice doesn't prescribe this.

The purple red rash is rather unsightly and looks worse after I've done any type of exercise - thankfully it's Winter - so I'm hoping it'll disappear, although I may be stuck with it forever.

Anyone else had a similar reaction and if so did you have to knock HRT on the head or were you able to try something else that didn't cause rashes - purple or otherwise!!

pamb x

Dancing Queen

Re: Purpura
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »

Hi Pamb, oh blimey I`ve had 3 purple/red spots on my arm for about a week and thought what the hell are those.... reading your post just twigged that I`ve probably got the same as you - been on femseven sequi patches for 3 months. Bloody hell hope it doesn`t get any worse I don`t want to have to start fannying around with my hrt!  :-\

pamb

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »

Hi Dancing Queen

Can't say when my purple red spots first appeared as I remember seeing them and just ignored them initially thinking they'd go away, but it spread unfortunately. 

As I say my GP wasn't much use really and didn't give me a proper diagnosis just said it's probably a side effect, but didn't state whether it's from the patch filler or the oestrogen itself so I'll just stay off HRT for a while and put up with the flushes etc and hopefully the blotches/spots will disappear over time. 

Just keep an eye on the rash and see how it goes.  I think mine looks worse because it's on my thighs so even walking or sitting too long makes it more prominent as it's linked to the vascular system.

Nothing's ever simple is it!!!

Keep posting on how you're doing and I'll do the same.

pamb x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »

Is there anything in the leaflet in the box or maybe go to your local Pharmacist for advice.  If necessary he/she can contact the Manufactorers.  Most have private rooms these days.  Then let us know.  Is it a rash you can live with if you are getting benefit?

pamb

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »

Hi CLKD.  Thanks for replying.

Yes the Evorel leaflet mentions vascular purpura as a side effect.  The blotchy rash looks awful and would probably get worse if I continued with the patches as it is a vascular condition.

So my next choice is to try another type once the rash settles and if I get it again on another regime, then I'll have to  just  assume it's  the estradiol which is the problem and call it quits with HRT. 

pamb x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 09:12:17 PM »

Is it the active ingredient or the fillers causing problems?

pamb

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »

I wish I knew CLKD.  I'm  considering having an allergy test to see if I can pin it down to one particular thing but I'm sure it won't be that straightforward as my other rash on my chest and hands seem different to the purpley red rash on my thighs.

Other option is to just try different regime once rash/s have subsided.

pamb x

racjen

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:28 PM »

I've had strange bruising since being on Evorel - like large blood blisters just under the skin, so not the same as you're describing but maybe related. One under my eye which looked quite alarming, like a black eye, one on my lip and two on my toes - all at least a cm in diameter. None with any identifiable injury beforehand. And also unexplained bruising on my hands and fingers, but only immediately after strenuous exercise (Zumba). Blood tests have shown nothing seriously amiss so I think it must be a side effect of estrogen, never had it before.

Dancing Queen

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 12:28:05 AM »

Yes mine is like blood blisters too just on my arm. Praying they will go away soon I dont want to permanently look like I have measles!

pamb

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 05:23:47 AM »

At certain times of the day the rash does look like blood blisters so it's  possible you both have the same thing as me.

I'm hoping that it'll improve over time, although the ****ly rash on my chest could be a histamine reaction to the estradiol and my body is just taking it's time to settle down. 

I think I'm prone to skin allergies anyway as I get polymorphic light eruption which is a sun allergy.  Not great for someone who loves the sun like I  do.

pamb x

HellsBells

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 11:53:34 AM »

Just found a small purple spot on my arm…about the size of the fat end of a pen…read this thread and not currently on HRT - has anyone had these postmeno without HRT? Having had 2 other cancers I’m worried it could be leukaemia!