Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: re. Christmas episode of 'Old People's Home for 4 year olds.  (Read 2140 times)

Katejo

re. Christmas episode of 'Old People's Home for 4 year olds.
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:17:14 PM »

Has anyone else seen the Christmas concert episode from the Channel 4 series in which residents of a retirement village meet and play with 4 year olds? The end made me laugh out loud.
Alfie Boe had been invited to perform at the concert. He sang "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" but in the middle he burst out laughing and asked the residents whether they could see what the children were doing. They were seated cross legged on the floor and all of them were blocking their ears with their hands! It made me laugh out loud. I have just watched that bit again and still chuckled.   :ola:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: re. Christmas episode of 'Old People's Home for 4 year olds.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »

I saw the 1st programme then we were doing stuff so I missed the rest.  Didn't realise that the C.mas episode has been run ....... but did read a good article in the week.

Where my Mum is a Carer takes her 4 year old one night a week, apparently he stands and talks with my Mum for ages.  She over-hears things that she is never told  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 03:28:20 PM »

I loved this programme,my goodness,those pensioners were an inspiration,I adored the 102 year old lady

Krystal

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 05:00:18 PM »

What a good idea the older generation and the tiny tots partying together. They say children keep you young and interested. Young children have no agenda and take things at face value. Not every child has grandparents so being connected to older people will enrich their experiences and help them understand the aging process. Not everyone has children or grandchildren to make a fuss of. For older people who are being looked after in a care environment, a visit and a chat with a young child may well lift spirits in the same way pet therapy work s. The local nursery and care home where I live have been engaged in this connectivity for the last year or so. The local primary school is also connected to the care home by reciprocal visits and everyone seems to benefit. Just because someone is in  a care home it does not mean they should sit a watch mindless TV all day or stare aimlessly out of the window if they don't want too. Both the nursery and primary school have raised money for the care home comfort fund and in return the care home hosted several play/family fun days to say "thank you." So this works for everyone.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 05:09:55 PM »

I loved this programme,my goodness,those pensioners were an inspiration,I adored the 102 year old lady
So did I.  I saw the Christmas special from last year's series and saved it to watch again this year.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »

What a good idea the older generation and the tiny tots partying together. They say children keep you young and interested. Young children have no agenda and take things at face value. Not every child has grandparents so being connected to older people will enrich their experiences and help them understand the aging process. Not everyone has children or grandchildren to make a fuss of. For older people who are being looked after in a care environment, a visit and a chat with a young child may well lift spirits in the same way pet therapy work s. The local nursery and care home where I live have been engaged in this connectivity for the last year or so. The local primary school is also connected to the care home by reciprocal visits and everyone seems to benefit. Just because someone is in  a care home it does not mean they should sit a watch mindless TV all day or stare aimlessly out of the window if they don't want too. Both the nursery and primary school have raised money for the care home comfort fund and in return the care home hosted several play/family fun days to say "thank you." So this works for everyone.
Sounds really good fun for them all.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »

I loved the way that they showed a clip of one of the pensioners talking about his late wife. They showed a short home film of his Christmas of 1964 with his wife and children. That would have been my 1st proper Christmas when i was coming up to 2. There was also a short film of another resident who was evacuated to the USA during the war when his father worked for Kodak. Part of the film was in colour.  I sometimes wish I had film of myself when i was small. Plenty of photos but no film.

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »

It was so sad when they spoke of their departed loved ones,had a lump in my throat

JaneinPen

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »

Thanks Katejo. I missed that one so have downloaded it. I loved the series too

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 06:22:45 PM »

Thanks Katejo. I missed that one so have downloaded it. I loved the series too
You have a treat to come Herdwick. Unfortunately my recording mistimed slightly and I missed the very end.  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »

Will it be on catch up?

I don't like kids much  ;D so what will happen when they bring the children along ........... give me a dog any day  ;)

The Home where Mum is does activities every morning and various children visit ........

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 10:04:48 PM »

Will it be on catch up?

I don't like kids much  ;D so what will happen when they bring the children along ........... give me a dog any day  ;)

The Home where Mum is does activities every morning and various children visit ........
I am not sure whether Channel 4 has a catch up.