Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does core body temperature change after menopause?  (Read 892 times)

Mary1962

Does core body temperature change after menopause?
« on: November 27, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »

Just wondering if others feel like their overall core body temperature has changed since going through the menopause? While not having too many hot flushes too frequently at the moment, as someone who has previously always felt the cold I feel this winter (beyond my extremities which still get cold) that my overall body temperature is warmer than it used to be.  I just wondered if with hormones levels now gone this sort of thing is the case or else maybe it's still my hormones having a play just because they can and just more spread out and not in such a dramatic way!  ;D

sheila99

Re: Does core body temperature change after menopause?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:32:06 PM »

I would love my thermostat to be set a bit higher, I am as cold as ever. :(

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 07:24:07 PM »

Hello Mary1962,

It is known that there's a drop in core body temperature after a hot flush as heat is lost to environment through convection, but I suppose this is not perceived by our brain during menopause and the constant warm feeling is the rule. I used to have freezing extremities before perimenopause, now they literally burn. I'm not sure if this is a subset of hot flushes or something else entirely (peripheral neuropathy, fibromyalgia, vasculitis, you name it).
Here's a good article on the subject https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211124718309471

Conolly X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »

Interesting.  My feet and lower legs feel cold to me, but DH tells me that they are 'normal'  :-\

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »

Interesting.  My feet and lower legs feel cold to me, but DH tells me that they are 'normal'  :-\
My OH has turned grumpy, he won't let me put my freezing feet on him anymore  >:( I might have to trade him in for a more amenable model.