Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Swap Utrogestan for the Mirena coil?  (Read 1051 times)

AngsanaBlossom

Swap Utrogestan for the Mirena coil?
« on: November 28, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »

I am on cycle 3 of Estradiol (2 pumps per day) and Utrogestan (now 13 days a month, was 8 days). My doctor has suggested I swap the Utrogestan for a Mirena coil and seems to think it is the best thing since sliced bread. This would be instead of the Utrogestan and she said my local GP can fit it any time.

We only have a short while in our meeting as it is private and I have to keep it to 20 mins. I understand this would reduce the heavy bleeding and length of my periods which I find quite debilitating as I have flooding. I am concerned though that if they shorten and reduce periods, won't that mean I have a lining building up after taking the oestrogen gel?

Is anyone here peri-menopausal, use Estradiol and the Mirena coil. If so, would you mind explaining to me how it works and if you are happy with it?

Kind regards and thanks.

BlueButterfly

Re: Swap Utrogestan for the Mirena coil?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »

From my understanding the mirena keeps the uterine lining thin...so no worries about it building up.

SueLW

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »

The Mirena coil contains a slow release progestogen which lasts for 4-5 (depending on if you use if for birth control only or for HRT protection) years and provides birth control and HRT protection by stopping the build up of the uterine lining through it's direct administration of progestogen.

You will be perfectly covered using a Mirena and will, hopefully, become bleed free.  I had one in peri for heavy periods.  It was a blessing.  Takes a few months to settle with a lot of spotting whilst it's doing it and I felt flat and bloated, but then it cleared and all was fine and completely bleed free.

AngsanaBlossom

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »

Thanks for the help.

If I become bleed free, will my PMT reduce as a result? I have always had hormonal problems. I've had PCOS all my fertile life, had fertility problems which let to 2 children being conceived via IUI and drugs and now I am peri-menopausal my life is once again a misery with hormone fluctuations.

I have been taking HRT for 3 months and have seen some improvement, but on here today as having a blip. I am wondering if the Mirena will have a better effect on me than taking 13 days worth of Utrogestan.

If the Mirena is so great, why aren't there more women on it instead of progesterone tablets?