Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member saying hello  (Read 1382 times)

Minty60

New member saying hello
« on: November 23, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »

Hi, I'm Mary and I was 60 last June. Have been retired for two years and period free for 8.  Had a lot of flushes and night sweats again earlier this year (which I thought had gone) and since menopause have had a number episodes of depression for which I've been taking Citalopram. I've also lost my sex drive and find sex very painful anyway  so I asked my GP if I can try HRT(which he's offered many times).  He's given me Elleste Duet 1 mg and I'm hoping this may help with my low mood so I can get off the Citalopram. He says I'm unlikely to get any bleeding as it's been so long since my last period but I was wondering if anyone else has started HRT this late. Will be starting it tomorrow. Thanks in advance 😊

jaypo

Re: New member saying hello
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »

Hello minty & welcome 😊
I'm 55 & I was told I'm probably too late in the day to start taking hrt,isn't it strange how many things we all get told by different drs?
Think most of us on here between us have had all symptoms known to man/woman re menopause,it's good though & it really does make you feel you're not alone,nice bunch of ladies they all are.
Good luck with your hrt,let us know how you get on xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »

Welcome.

Don't try to stop the anti-depressant if you are on an even keel.  I have to take them for Life.  Otherwise  :-\

Maybe read the green treatment room and make notes.

If sex is painful do read our threads about vaginal atrophy.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out: including the vagina.  Skin thins and can make sex painful.  Appropriate treatment is necessary.  VA mimics urine infection-type symptoms really well!

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 05:38:13 PM »

Hello Minty60 and welcome to the forum.

I have also been period free for 8 years and managed reasonably well  initially, however when the symptoms became worse I asked for help and began HRT 5 years agoat age 57,  I've used various forms of HRT and have experienced bleeding and spotting on occasion so don't be surprised if this happens to you.

As time has gone on my physical symptoms have lessened but the emotional ones are persisting which is why I'm still struggling to get the balance right. My consultant told me that most women are completely through the menopause by their early sixties though that must be dependent on the age at which they began their journey.

Hopefully your regime will work for you.

Take care and keep us updated.

K.

Minty60

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 11:45:13 AM »

Thanks ladies for your supportive replies.  My doctor says that if i dont feel any better after the three months then to come off the Elleste.  I have nothing to lose by trying this so i'm going to give it a go. If it works then happy days are ahead. 

Will be continuing the Citalopram for a month and if i do feel okay i will cut them down as the doc suggested.  It's only since menopause that i've had the very low mood and depressive episodes so hopefully with a bit of lady hormones back in my system things may improve.  If not then it will be back to drawing board.

Will update in a few weeks to say how i'm feeling.  Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »

From experience of ADs I would keep them until at least Feb., because if the HRT doesn't suit you, you make have a huge dip in mood.  Your GP wants you to stop taking them  :-\ ...........

Also, I have found since 1990s that if I stop an AD which suits, it doesn't work if I try it again.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »

Hi Minty60

:welcomemm:

There are several women on here who have not started HRT until they have reached 60 or more.

However your doc should ideally not really have given you tablets if you are starting at this age and 8 years since menopause. The British Menopause Society recommend that if started in women over 60, "lower doses should be started, preferably with a transdermal estradiol preparation". This is to minimise any additional risk of cardio-vascular events, or stroke. This means either patches or gel - maybe combi patches or patch or gel with separate progestogen.

The only combi patch available at the moment is Evorel conti and you could start with half a patch and see how you got on? Alternatively you could try an oestrogen only patch (they start at low dose 25 mcg) with separate progestogen - Provera or Utrogestan.

You are right to want to come off the ADs - after all you should not have been given them instead of HRT if your low mood only came on since menopause and is hormonal in origin rather than due to life events.

In your position I would go back to the doc and ask for patches ( after deciding which type you want to try) and as you start your new HRT start immediately to taper off the ADs.

The other thing is that both ADs and tablet HRT can drepess libido so patches would be better from this point of view. Low dose oestrogen may not improve your libido but at least if you stop the ADs and don't take tablets - you are giving yourself the best chance!

As CLKD says - if sex is painful and you are without oestrogen then you have vaginal atrophy and whatever else you do not dpo re the HRT you need to use either Vagifem or estriol cream ( Ovestin or the generic). Here are the treatements: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php This can be used in addition to systemic HRT and is recommended as the best treatment to specifically target this area.

Jaypo - 55 - too old for HRT  :o. Absolute nonsense you have been told as others have on here have also been told at times... I started HRT when I was just under 54 and many women are still having periods at this age! More to the point is length of time since menopause but also benefits are thought to exceed the risks if aged under 60!

Hurdity x

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 10:23:45 PM »

Hi Mary, I started HRT at 61 for atrophy and had been period free for 7 years but experiened bleeding in the first few months. This is common and usually settles within 6 months so don't let it put you off. I started with ultra low dosage tablets which are more suitable for over 60's but then went onto patches. Hope it works for you.